Photo

BSL: Project 2014 (Previewing Yr 1 in the Big Ten)

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Baltimore Sun: MD won't play scheduled game at M&T in 2014
http://www.baltimore...0,4580761.story

#42 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Baltimore Sun: MD won't play scheduled game at M&T in 2014
http://www.baltimore...0,4580761.story

Disappointing, but not unreasonable. I could see a UMD-Penn State matchup at M&T in the near future.

@BSLZackKiesel

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,451 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Looking ahead, the Big Ten will apparently release the 2015 schedule this week. It would seem that there will be more attractive home games on the schedule than for 2014 (PSU, Michigan, and perhaps Wisconsin). Based on The Sun article, I'd anticipate one of those being moved to M&T to replace the 2014 game.

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Future power rankings in the Big Ten

The Big Ten bloggers at ESPN.com apparently do not think very highly of the UM football program, as they rank the Terps dead last in the B1G so far as prospects for the next 3 years.

14. Maryland: We're less enthused about the Terrapins' chances to succeed right away in the Big Ten than we are about Rutgers', especially because the program has two 10-loss seasons in the past four years and is just 6-17 under coach Randy Edsall. This will be a crucial season for the Terps to decide if Edsall is the man to lead them into a new conference.

While I can't disagree with any of the points they make in their assessment above (they were actually generous via a typo that credits Edsall with 1 less loss than his actual record), I have to believe the potential for success at UM is greater over the next few seasons than at places like Indiana, Illinois and Purdue. Although working against the Terps will be their place in the much tougher East division, which two of the three aforementioned teams won't have to contend with.

#45 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just wanted to inform everyone that I've updated the projected two-deep. Basically I looked at what I saw on the field, what I'm hearing/seeing from various freshmen, and took that into account. I haven't put any incoming freshmen on the depth chart, because I think a lot of the skill players/linemen will end up redshirting. Once Edsall has put together most of his class, I'll take a look and see where we are with the depth chart. But for the most part, true freshmen won't crack the two-deep until midway through the season barring injuries.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

ACC taking aim at respect, SEC reign

I posted this article in the NCAA Forum, but I think it raises some interesting points for discussion as it pertains to the Terps.

Here are two interesting facts to start with:

1) This weekend's FSU/Clemson game is the first of the season featuring two Top 5 teams

2) The ACC has as many teams ranked in the AP Top 10 as the SEC (three), and one more if you count future member Louisville.

It's always been assumed that the Terps are going to face tougher competition when they go to the Big Ten next year. At this point, can we really say that is true? These things are often cyclical, but as of today I don't think there is any argument that the ACC is better. Where the Big Ten has always, and probably always will have an edge, is the conference's overall commitment to football. But now that the ACC's sleeping giants seemed to have awakened (FSU, Clemson, Miami) and Virginia Tech looking more like their old selves, John Swofford appears to finally have the conference he dreamed of 10 years ago.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I posted this article in the NCAA Forum, but I think it raises some interesting points for discussion as it pertains to the Terps.

1) This weekend's FSU/Clemson game is the first of the season featuring two Top 5 teams

2) The ACC has as many teams ranked in the AP Top 10 as the SEC (three), and one more if you count future member Louisville.

It's always been assumed that the Terps are going to face tougher competition when they go to the Big Ten next year. At this point, can we really say that is true? These things are often cyclical, but as of today I don't think there is any argument that the ACC is better. Where the Big Ten has always, and probably always will have an edge, is the conference's overall commitment to football. But now that the ACC's sleeping giants seemed to have awakened (FSU, Clemson, Miami) and Virginia Tech looking more like their old selves, John Swofford appears to finally have the conference he dreamed of 10 years ago.

Do you remember in 2007, when the Big East had West Virginia and South Florida both reach #2 in the AP Poll, and Cincinnati and UConn had strong seasons, too?

I'll believe the ACC has passed the Big Ten when they do it over a longer period of time than, you know, eight weeks :P

@DJ_McCann

#48 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern (recently), and Michigan State (usually). That leaves Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Purdue as the lower-tier teams. Iowa has had good teams in the recent past as has Purdue. 

The ACC is Clemson, FSU, and Miami (more recently). Then there's the middle tier in Georgia Tech, Maryland, N.C. State, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. And the pretty awful teams in Duke, Boston College, UNC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. 

As a whole, the Big Ten is a much more competitive conference. The ACC has a few very good schools (Clemson, FSU, Miami). After that, there's a pretty huge drop-off normally. The Big Ten is in a bit of a slump right now. Normally, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, and Michigan State dominate along with Michigan and Ohio State. Iowa and Purdue are normally better than what they are now. 

You can certainly make the argument that the Big Ten is a better conference, because they have schools that typically sustain success historically, while the ACC has a lot of teams who are at the top for a few years and drop off the face of the earth.

@BSLZackKiesel

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern (recently), and Michigan State (usually). That leaves Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Purdue as the lower-tier teams. Iowa has had good teams in the recent past as has Purdue. 

The ACC is Clemson, FSU, and Miami (more recently). Then there's the middle tier in Georgia Tech, Maryland, N.C. State, Pitt, and Virginia Tech. And the pretty awful teams in Duke, Boston College, UNC, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. 

As a whole, the Big Ten is a much more competitive conference. The ACC has a few very good schools (Clemson, FSU, Miami). After that, there's a pretty huge drop-off normally. The Big Ten is in a bit of a slump right now. Normally, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, and Michigan State dominate along with Michigan and Ohio State. Iowa and Purdue are normally better than what they are now. 

You can certainly make the argument that the Big Ten is a better conference, because they have schools that typically sustain success historically, while the ACC has a lot of teams who are at the top for a few years and drop off the face of the earth.

From the 80's thru early 2000's I think you could argue that no two programs were more dominant than FSU and Miami. Neither OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin or Penn State has been that dominant for that long in my lifetime. Only Nebraska under Tom Osborne can make such a claim. FSU/Miami's recent dropoff has been relatively short compared to how long they dominated, and now they both appear to be back, or in Miami's case at least close to it.

I'll admit I'm basing a forward opinion off of one-half season, so that's fair to question, but I think you kind of do a little cherry-picking too. BC was a very consistently good program not so long ago. From 1999-2009 they had only one season where they won fewer than 8 games, and that season they won 7. I also think you underestimate VT's consistency. While they are not a perennial Top 10 team, they are almost always a notch below that. They do usually seem to lay an egg when they have to play a tough OOC opponent, so they have that Achilles heel. But when a 7-6 season like last year is considered a awful year for you, how bad can the rest of your body of work be? I don't think Michigan State has had sustained success for longer periods than VT, and honestly since Tom Osborne retired neither has Nebraska.

Clemson.....yeah, they choke. A lot. We'll see about them. The talent is there, and so is everything else you need to build a dominant program. Time will tell if they finally translate all that.

I do agree that after those four, the rest of the ACC is uninspiring. Maybe a team or two that is pretty good now and then, but mostly a lot of mediocrity.

But like I said, it's also about how committed the Big Ten is to football as a conference vs the ACC. The B1G unquestionably leads there. Add in the greater revenues and that definitely helps. But they are no guarantee. I'm not bringing this up to question UM's decision to move....I remain steadfastly in favor of it as always. But these things are cyclical and the ACC appears to be on the uptick, just as UM gets ready to move.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm fairly enthusiastic when looking at Zack's projected 2 deep roster for next year. 

Moreso if Long returns, and Gray can start right away on the O-line (with Mazyck also factoring)... also of course if you can add Prince, and Tabor.  Wouldn't hurt if Aniebonam could help the D-line right away either.

#51 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I'm fairly enthusiastic when looking at Zack's projected 2 deep roster for next year. 

Moreso if Long returns, and Gray can start right away on the O-line (with Mazyck also factoring)... also of course if you can add Prince, and Tabor.  Wouldn't hurt if Aniebonam could help the D-line right away either.

After the past two years, shouldn't we wait to be excited until we see the five-deep roster?

@DJ_McCann

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

After the past two years, shouldn't we wait to be excited until we see the five-deep roster?

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Even when you get past the jokes about MD's injuries the last 2 years.... there is always unexpected transfers, non-qualifiers, etc... also in the post above it has me hoping on 2 players who haven't even committed, which really isn't fair.

Still, looking at things as they are now... there is some good depth returning to both sides of the ball. Key for MD really is their offensive line.

Selfishly I also hope that Long returns... with the obvious mention that I'm sorry his year was ended like it was.

#53 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Depth chart has been updated to reflect Madaras' departure from the university.

@BSLZackKiesel

#54 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

While the Terps are on a bye week this week, I thought it would be interesting to start thinking about different positions for next season. The quarterback position has been a bit shaky over the past few years, but the Terps will have 6 talented players at the position next season barring injuries or transfers.

So what do you want to see from this group of quarterbacks come next season? Do you want C.J. Brown to be the starter, or would you rather give the job to someone else?

http://baltimorespor...e-quarterbacks/

@BSLZackKiesel

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

I've really never been sold on CJ Brown, and nothing I've seen this season has changed my mind on that. He was handed the starting job in the spring almost by default....I understand why, but I don't believe he really had to earn it. I think no matter what happens the rest of this season, next spring the QB competition needs to be completely up for grabs. Hopefully one of the 5 guys expected to be there in the spring will step up so that there isn't still a competition headed into fall camp. I think to take the next step they need much more out of the QBs than what they've gotten.

#56 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

I tinkered with the depth chart again. I added a third wide receiver position, since the Terps use a lot of 3-wide sets, and because their official depth chart always lists 3 receiver positions. I also made a few changes, like moving Moise Larose to backup LT and Jake Wheeler to backup RT. Also listed Andre Monroe and Keith Bowers as co-starters due to Monroe's very impressive 2013 season.

I also added strong-side/weak-side indicators on defense.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#57 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

I've just added my Running Back preview for 2014, along with individual statistics. It should be an interesting group of players vying for playing time in 2014, and each has a unique set of skills that could be used. Randy Edsall prefers a true starting running back (like he had with Brandon Ross this season), but it's hard to ignore the talent behind him on the depth chart.

I've also added final 2013 statistics to the quarterback preview.

http://baltimorespor...-running-backs/

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#58 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

My preview of Maryland's Fullbacks for 2014 is up. It'll be one of the biggest competitions in camp: the competition between Tyler Cierski and Kenneth Goins Jr. for the starting fullback spot. Mike Locksley still uses a fullback in many of his formations, and Goins' breakout year helped lessen the blow of Cierski's injury. Goins may be the better fit for the Maryland offense with his playmaking abilities, but it's tough to ignore the fact that, when healthy, Cierski is one of the better fullbacks in the country.

http://baltimorespor...2014-fullbacks/

@BSLZackKiesel

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Looking at the Offensive Line next year...

Derwin Gray was a 2013 recruit...went to Prep School... #1 Prep OT in the Country... now an early enroll at MD, will get time with Terps in the Spring.

Conaboy, Dunn, and Doyle have received a lot of time in '13...

MD is still in the running for is 5 star OT Damian Prince (Bishop McNamara, District Heights, MD).... MD's optimal starting line if Prince commits?

Zack's expected 2 Deep as of late October was...
LT – 1. Derwin Gray, 2. Moise Larose
LG – 1. Silvano Altamirano, 2. JaJuan Dulaney
C – 1. Sal Conaboy, 2. Evan Mulrooney
RG – 1. Michael Dunn, 2. Andrew Zeller
RT – 1. Ryan Doyle, 2. Jake Wheeler

Other 2013 commits are:
OT Larry Mazyck (6'7, 350, JUCO)
Scout.com 4 stars
247 3 stars
Rivals.com 3 stars

OT Brendan Moore
Scout.com 2 stars
247 3 stars
Rivals.com 3 stars
ESPN 3 stars

OT Sean Christie
247 3 stars

#60 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Looking at the Offensive Line next year...

Derwin Gray was a 2013 recruit...went to Prep School... #1 Prep OT in the Country... now an early enroll at MD, will get time with Terps in the Spring.

Conaboy, Dunn, and Doyle have received a lot of time in '13...

MD is still in the running for is 5 star OT Damian Prince (Bishop McNamara, District Heights, MD).... MD's optimal starting line if Prince commits?

Zack's expected 2 Deep as of late October was...
LT – 1. Derwin Gray, 2. Moise Larose
LG – 1. Silvano Altamirano, 2. JaJuan Dulaney
C – 1. Sal Conaboy, 2. Evan Mulrooney
RG – 1. Michael Dunn, 2. Andrew Zeller
RT – 1. Ryan Doyle, 2. Jake Wheeler

Other 2013 commits are:
OT Larry Mazyck (6'7, 350, JUCO)
Scout.com 4 stars
247 3 stars
Rivals.com 3 stars

OT Brendan Moore
Scout.com 2 stars
247 3 stars
Rivals.com 3 stars
ESPN 3 stars

OT Sean Christie
247 3 stars

If the Terps get Prince, I'd stick him at backup LT for the time being. I see Prince and Gray competing for that position, while Mazyck competes with Doyle for the RT position. I'd like to see the team try to covert a few of these tackles to guards. If they don't do that, I can definitely see Mulrooney/Conaboy competing with Altamirano for the LG spot. This team needs a little more versatility with its incoming class at O-Line. 

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=