You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

Was the process good? Or the results?

I'm planning on doing a PITCHf/x analysis in the next day or two, so be on the lookout for that.

That's what I've been wondering about today. And given I don't know what to look for, I'm looking forward to your write up.

What I liked was his FB velocity, movement and command. His secondaries didn't do much for me. My guess would be on a day where his FB is less formidable, he'd really struggle.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

That's what I've been wondering about today. And given I don't know what to look for, I'm looking forward to your write up.

What I liked was his FB velocity, movement and command. His secondaries didn't do much for me. My guess would be on a day where his FB is less formidable, he'd really struggle.

Or if you want to look at it with more optimism, when the secondaries are working, he'd be filthy. Now I don't know how likely that is, but he did flash a nice slider and change from time to time. Consistency is key, and I assume he's not super consistent with those pitches, otherwise he'd be thought of more highly.

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

Right... That's what I'm curious about... how normal was that FB from him yesterday? And how normal were those secondaries. He had a couple decent change-up's too. But most of the secondaries were pretty weak, IMO, while the FB was consistently popping and moving. He did a real nice job maintaining composure the few times he got behind in the count, too. Just one start, but those are the questions right now.  

#64 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

If he were to move to the bullpen would his velocity uptick or would he just stay more consistently in the upper 90's?

#65 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

If he were to move to the bullpen would his velocity uptick or would he just stay more consistently in the upper 90's?

Stay in the upper. More often than not he's been closer to 93-95, with the bigger issue being the control wavering as he gets tired late in a start, and late in the season.

• BobPhelan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#66 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Something to watch as well....if Wright does go to the pen and he is really good out there, do you consider trading Britton in July(if you are out of it) or in the offseason? He will probably make 7-8M next year, which is quite expensive. Now, if he shows he is worth it, that's ok but still, if you can get the same production for a fraction of the cost, do you do it?

My guess is you probably hang onto Britton for one more year if he shows he is worth it, given the likely turnover you will have in the pen due to free agency and non tenders.

The Os won't with all of the turnover (O'Day, Hunter, W, Wright, Gausman, Garcia, Matusz(?) all probably won't be in the BP next year) in their bullpen. They may decide not to resign O'Day though. Or then again, they may just decide to use all of their resources to build a strong bullpen.

#67 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

What I liked was his fast ball had late life.  A lot of times they looked straight but would end out of the strike zone with the batter swinging.  His secondaries some were a little scary but I do think it was mostly due to the adrenaline pumping so he was over throwing them and they would not break because his arm action was more sped up than usual.  (What do I know though) :)

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Back with the team after Gonzalez's move to the DL.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

MASN: Mike Wright may have strained calf muscle

http://www.masnsport...alf-muscle.html

#70 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

#orioles place Mike Wright on DL and recall RHP Jorge Rondon from AAA Norfolk

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

MASN: http://www.masnsport...t-and-more.html

Mike Wright (calf) threw from 120 feet and will throw off a half-mound on Monday.

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Baltimore Sun: Wright returns

http://www.baltimore...0904-story.html

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

MASN: O's pitcher Mike Wright looks back on 2015 season and ahead to his future

http://www.masnsport...his-future.html

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

MASN: Mike Wright had the right stuff tonight
http://www.masnsport...n-duquette.html

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

MASN: Mike Wright holds Red Sox to one run in five innings
http://www.masnsport...ix-innings.html

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Baltimore Sun: Weekend finally brings opportunities for Orioles pitchers Mike Wright, Vance Worley
http://www.baltimore...0408-story.html

#77 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:29 AM

Interesting start for Wright tonight. I actually thought the first 3 innings were pretty decent. Looked like he ramped up the velocity in the 4th and also completely lost it with the slider. I don't love his mechanics but maybe there is more potential as a starter there than I thought. 

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

He'll either need to dramatically improve his command or dramatically improve on the consistency of his secondaries to make it as a starter.  He looked like the exact same guy as last year, to me.

I think he's already good enough to be a useful bullpen piece (and perhaps a very good one if either thing improves a little bit but not enough to start), but he has to get much better to have any chance of lasting as a starter.

#79 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

I don't know guys. I'm coming around on Wright. I think there is starter potential there. He may just need time to learn how to pitch.

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

I don't know guys. I'm coming around on Wright. I think there is starter potential there. He may just need time to learn how to pitch.

He certainly did his job tonight. Very pleased with that outing vs. Toronto's lineup.

Still not convinced he is a starter, but am only more confident in his ability to be a difference maker out of the bullpen.

Stuff wise, I'd imagine he compares well to most 5th starters league wide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=