148 replies to this topic

#41 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

@masnRoch: Sounds like Mike Wright is still in Norfolk. Just a healthy scratch from tonight's start. So we'll hopefully find out later what's up

#42 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Wright has been called up to the majors.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

He's starting tomorrow.

#44 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

So, we know that 6 SP's isn't enough... will 7 be enough?  Let's find out...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

So, we know that 6 SP's isn't enough... will 7 be enough? Let's find out...

Actually, we still just have 6. KG hasn't been a starter yet.

And while Wright has started in the minors and it's possible that he could continue to start in the majors, he is more likely destined for the pen.

#46 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:39 PM

Actually, we still just have 6. KG hasn't been a starter yet.

Doesn't matter... he was the guy to step in as #6... but he can't.  

That's why we're using a 7th guy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

Doesn't matter... he was the guy to step in as #6... but he can't.  
That's why we're using a 7th guy...

He can't because they handled him like shit.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Can't ask for a better debut. Way to be the stopper kid.

#49 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Can't ask for a better debut. Way to be the stopper kid.

He looked fantastic.
Is this guy going to get a rotation spot next year?

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'd like to see more consistency worth the secondaries, but I liked what I saw. Great fastball with the ability to switch up from the 2 and 4 seamer, add and subtract, and command it. Flashed a nice slider and change at times, but didn't throw either a great deal and wasn't consistent with them.

Those secondaries are of course the key, but he should at least be a good BP pitcher.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'd like to see more consistency worth the secondaries, but I liked what I saw. Great fastball with the ability to switch up from the 2 and 4 seamer, add and subtract, and command it. Flashed a nice slider and change at times, but didn't throw either a great deal and wasn't consistent with them.Those secondaries are of course the key, but he should at least be a good BP pitcher.

I feel pretty good saying he will be better out of the pen than Hunter, which would make him a very good reliever.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

I'd like to see more consistency worth the secondaries, but I liked what I saw. Great fastball with the ability to switch up from the 2 and 4 seamer, add and subtract, and command it. Flashed a nice slider and change at times, but didn't throw either a great deal and wasn't consistent with them.Those secondaries are of course the key, but he should at least be a good BP pitcher.

I feel pretty good saying he will be better out of the pen than Hunter, which would make him a very good reliever.

Agree. But I also think he'll be better than Hunter as a starter, which should, or at least could, be good enough to keep him in the rotation. Will be interesting to see if he gets another start her, maybe they DL Norris to recover from the illness?

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Agree. But I also think he'll be better than Hunter as a starter, which should, or at least could, be good enough to keep him in the rotation. Will be interesting to see if he gets another start her, maybe they DL Norris to recover from the illness?

Or Tillman with the back spasms.

#54 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

If Wright hadn't looked as great as he did, they may have felt the need to "rush" Norris and/or Tillman back. However, with the way both have pitched thus far, particularly Norris, I think they'll take their time while he heals up. I think Wright earned another start or two today. 

The one thing you can't teach is velocity, and that didn't appear to be a problem with Wright. He could dial it up to 96-97-98 when he needed it, and late in the game at that. He also showed good sinking movement. 

His offspeed was inconsistent as has been stated, but he did show a couple nice changeups and a pretty good slider to get a strikeout and end a jam in the 4th or 5th inning. 

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

If Wright hadn't looked as great as he did, they may have felt the need to "rush" Norris and/or Tillman back. However, with the way both have pitched thus far, particularly Norris, I think they'll take their time while he heals up. I think Wright earned another start or two today. 

The one thing you can't teach is velocity, and that didn't appear to be a problem with Wright. He could dial it up to 96-97-98 when he needed it, and late in the game at that. He also showed good sinking movement. 

His offspeed was inconsistent as has been stated, but he did show a couple nice changeups and a pretty good slider to get a strikeout and end a jam in the 4th or 5th inning. 

Yea, it wouldn't surprise me if they use Tillmans back injury as a way of just giving him a little rest and a start or 2 to work on the side.

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

He not only threw 98, he also threw 68... I don't remember seeing a 30 mph diff before... after 98, that 68 must feel to the hitters like they should take a Bugs Bunny swing...

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Have to think Gausman is still ahead of Wright....but Wright could be pitching for a rotation spot next year.

It's likely he ends up in the pen but it's not a definite and with so much change happening next year, his talent and salary will be very valuable, no matter what his role on the team is.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Something to watch as well....if Wright does go to the pen and he is really good out there, do you consider trading Britton in July(if you are out of it) or in the offseason? He will probably make 7-8M next year, which is quite expensive. Now, if he shows he is worth it, that's ok but still, if you can get the same production for a fraction of the cost, do you do it?

My guess is you probably hang onto Britton for one more year if he shows he is worth it, given the likely turnover you will have in the pen due to free agency and non tenders.

#59 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

Was the process good? Or the results?

I'm planning on doing a PITCHf/x analysis in the next day or two, so be on the lookout for that.

@JeffLongBP

#60 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

He not only threw 98, he also threw 68... I don't remember seeing a 30 mph diff before... after 98, that 68 must feel to the hitters like they should take a Bugs Bunny swing...

The 68 (actually 69.96) wasn't on purpose. It was a CB that slipped. And the CB is really just a show-me pitch (he only threw 3 yesterday). So it basically functions as an eephus in that it's a rarely used change of pace offering.

He did top out at 99.74 mph though.

• BobPhelan, RShack and Matt_P like this
@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=