• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Seth=Belkast?

"Wild Seth" I'd prefer. 

thx

Tracy must've been  waiting for the D'Backs "Wow offer". Just didn't materialize I guess. 

• Pedro Cerrano and Markus like this
@beginthebegin71

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:23 AM

Sports Illustrated: Report: Rays trade pitcher Jeremy Hellickson to Diamondbacks

http://www.si.com/ml...on-diamondbacks

That's a nice move for Stewart.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yea, not a bad get for Zona. Hellicksons fly all tendencies in that park may not be great though.

That being said, he should still be good in the weak NL.

#65 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

The Dbacks new head of analytics is not your stereotypical analyst

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#66 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks

@DJ_McCann

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Diamondbacks may have traded Miley because he wouldn't go gluten-free

@DJ_McCann

#68 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

The Diamondbacks have reportedly signed a new media contract deal with Fox Sports Arizona.

There isn't so much information yet. At the moment, it appears to be that the deal is 20 years and $1.8 billion dollars. It isn't clear whether the Diamondbacks will receive equity in Fox Sports Arizona. Nor is it clear whether that theoretical equity is included in the deals value. According to Forbes their previous deal was 8 years and $250 million.

Presuming all of that is true then the Diamondbacks should be expected to earn about $40 million in 2015 which is the last year of their previous deal. I'd expect them to earn roughly $62.5 million in 2016 presuming that the deal increases by 4% each year.

MASN wants to offer the Nationals/Orioles $46 million in 2016 while the RSDC decision is for $66 million. Of course, MASNs deal resets every five years while the Diamondbacks deal is set. Basically, the Diamondbacks will receive $108 million or so in 2030 regardless of how profitable Fox Sports Arizona becomes. It would be very possible for the Nationals and Orioles to receive $170 million in 2030 if the RSDC wins this court case.

I don't have a media map available at the moment so I can't compare Arizona's media market to the Orioles/Nationals. I'm reasonably certain that the Orioles/Nationals market is easily superior but I'm not certain about the extent.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

Grantland: Opposite Attracts: Appreciating Paul Goldschmidt’s Oppo-Field Prowess

http://grantland.com...ting-the-shift/

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

FanGraphs: The Arizona Infield: Goldschmidt and the Gang

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

CBS Sports: 2015 MLB Team Preview: Arizona
http://www.cbssports...na-diamondbacks

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

NBC Sports / HBT: 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks

#73 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

The truth is we did not know what Touki’s value would be if we shopped him. There is a lot of speculation on that. People are assuming it would have been better, but we don’t know.

“There was an opportunity to make a deal that gave us more flexibility today as well as next year. We took that opportunity. It’s tough to say we could have gotten more. He was drafted at No. 16, given ($2.7) million. In my opinion, that’s his value.

http://www.foxsports...id=471003715773

Are you kidding me? He's arguing that they traded him without figuring out what he was actually worth which was probably considerably more. Unbelievable.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

That's really bad, especially considering there isn't a cash flow issue there. How does he actually allow himself to admit in public that "we did not know what Touki's value would be if we shopped him."? That's horrible.

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Perhaps we're getting idea of why it took Stewart so long to find a GM job after he was such a hot name many years back when he first starter working in baseball front offices. 

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

Being a GM is such a tough job!

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

One thing in Stewart's defense, is that he didn't draft this kid.  If they've soured on him (and his performance hasn't been particularly good) and Stewart thinks he stinks, then it makes sense to sell high on him.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to just take the first decent offer without shopping him around to see if you can do better, but perhaps Stewart was worried about his value falling below even the $10M+ in salary savings they got for dumping Arroyo if he started telling a bunch of teams he wanted to deal him.

Still seems odd, but salary savings can be just as important as a mid-level prospect.  If they think they were selling high, it makes some sense.

• You Play to Win the Game and Matt_P like this

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

One thing in Stewart's defense, is that he didn't draft this kid.  If they've soured on him (and his performance hasn't been particularly good) and Stewart thinks he stinks, then it makes sense to sell high on him.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to just take the first decent offer without shopping him around to see if you can do better, but perhaps Stewart was worried about his value falling below even the $10M+ in salary savings they got for dumping Arroyo if he started telling a bunch of teams he wanted to deal him.

Still seems odd, but salary savings can be just as important as a mid-level prospect.  If they think they were selling high, it makes some sense.

Hes a 19 y/o prospect with a big arm that is probably top 100 guy.

Even if you hated him as a player, you could have done better.   

Did PA also buy the Dbacks?

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hes a 19 y/o prospect with a big arm that is probably top 100 guy.

Even if you hated him as a player, you could have done better.   

Did PA also buy the Dbacks?

The question of could they have gotten more definitely is a valid one, perhaps even with an obvious answer.  I was just trying to make the point that selling high isn't a bad thing, if that's what they think they were doing, and salary relief is a reasonable currency just like talent is, as long as you use the savings to your organization's benefit.

I would agree that ~$10M isn't a good return for a top-100 type prospect (first four lists I found had him at #71, #82, #98, and #112 before the season).  And while he struggled big time with command in limited innings last year, his numbers at least this year don't indicate any reason for a major drop down from that level.

#80 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

Jose Fernandez beaned David Peralta. It was an accident, but the Dbacks retaliated anyway

#OldSchool

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=