#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

The more I think about it the more I think Philbin, and/or his offensive coaches have to be held somewhat accountable for this.
  • Russ likes this

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

The more I think about it the more I think Philbin, and/or his offensive coaches have to be held somewhat accountable for this.

Yeah it be interesting to dig deeper here. Either way you look at it, it's a poor reflection of Philbin(and possibly Jeff Ireland). If he didn't know, he should've. And if he did know, why didn't he stop it earlier? I get the whole "let the players police the locker room." That only works when there's general harmony.

@levineps

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Given Incognito's past, how did he make it onto the Dolphins leadership council?

Keyshawn is saying that the Colts never had to deal with it(to Bill Polian) because he was the six-time Exec of the Year. Specifically calling out Jeff Ireland for bringing Incognito onto the team.

@levineps

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Given Incognito's past, how did he make it onto the Dolphins leadership council?

Keyshawn is saying that the Colts never had to deal with it(to Bill Polian) because he was the six-time Exec of the Year. Specifically calling out Jeff Ireland for bringing Incognito onto the team.

One of the ESPN writers had a piece I read today that said while he had some issues in St. Louis (a couple fights started in practice, and a huge blowup with Spagnoulo that led to his release) he had the respect of many of his teammates because he always had their backs out on the field, even though that occasionally led to a penalty called against him and the team.

#45 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

From a Dolphins program

j0yVUmu.jpg

#46 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm more disturbed that The Ring is the "scariest movie" he's seen.  No accounting for taste.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

ESPN: Joe Philbin addresses media

http://espn.go.com/n...gnito-situation

"I want you to know as head coach of the Miami Dolphins, I am in charge of the workplace atmosphere," Philbin said. "Since April 10, 2012, when players first came here. … Every decision I've made, everything we've done at this facility was done with one thing in mind: that is to help our players and our organization to reach their full potential. Any type of conduct and behavior that detracts from that objective will not be tolerated."

"You know, two of my children go to school right behind here at the university school," Philbin said. "As a parent, when they walk in those doors, I have certain expectations with administration, with the teachers and the staff that they will create a safe atmosphere where my children can learn and develop as people. This is no different. I take this responsibility very serious."

Philbin said Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has been in contact with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to examine the situation. Philbin would not answer whether he knew about Martin's troubles before he left the team. Philbin would say only that it will be looked into by the NFL.

I doubt anyone will care but he did address it.

@levineps

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Sports Illustrated: NFL personnel question 'coward' Martin for not challenging Incognito

http://sportsillustr...nito/index.html 

"I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person," said one personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man! Mike Pouncey was a rookie at one point while Incognito was there and you never heard any complaints from him. There's no other way to put it, other than him being sofTTT!"

I find this ironic someone who is referring to Martin as cowardly is being quoted anonymously. That is more cowardly IMO than anything Martin has done. Oh yeah, he doesn't want to get reprimanded or fired for an unpopular thought.

@levineps

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sports Illustrated: NFL personnel question 'coward' Martin for not challenging Incognito

I find this ironic someone who is referring to Martin as cowardly is being quoted anonymously. That is more cowardly IMO than anything Martin has done. Oh yeah, he doesn't want to get reprimanded or fired for an unpopular thought.

It's just bull shit for someone to take that angle in this story. In today's day and age, him approaching a maniac like Incognito could have resulted in a locker room fight, and who do you think would have gotten blamed?

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's just bull shit for someone to take that angle in this story. In today's day and age, him approaching a maniac like Incognito could have resulted in a locker room fight, and who do you think would have gotten blamed?

Bart Scott said that it is a good thing he didn't fight back. Not easy to do I can imagine, especially for someone of Martin's physical stature. And so far all the NFL talking heads are echoing similar things -- none of them have seen anything like this. Not a coincidence though that these guys for the most part are winners since half the battle to landing on TV is how you/your team did on the playing field. Steve Young was saying how Bill Walsh had a zero-hazing policy. Ray Lewis mentioned how it was basically "welcome to the club." And that's fine IMO if that's where it ends, you pay for one dinner, carry the pads (looking at you Dez Bryant) for a short period of time. What was bad here is Martin was no longer a rookie. And it's pretty clear from Incognito's tweets how he treated him. I'm not too big on the whole clubhouse chemistry in sports but I'd imagine if they had stronger leadership it wouldn't have happened from all the stories. Who knows these guys could have somewhat selective memories however.

I agree as you implied it would've been on Martin had they fought fist-to-fist. I know some are still on the whole macho, let them duke it out. There's a big difference IMO between telling the head coach or other vets about every little thing versus not saying anything. To say the least, Martin was in a no-win situation on this one. There's a breaking point for everyone and I'd imagine that Martin had it. And for everyone who thinks he should've handled it differently, I'd love to see how they would've handled the exact situation.

@levineps

#51 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

First off, yeah, the guy is pretty obviously a twit.

Second, I guarantee if you talked to a former executive--Charlie Casserly, since he's in the media, or if Simmons could still have Mike Lombardi on his show--they would say that this would be something a lot of scouts and GMs (and maybe coaches) would take into account. That it shows weakness that it wasn't handled both within the locker room and with a physical altercation.

It's the wrong view, but it's the football view.

@DJ_McCann

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

First off, yeah, the guy is pretty obviously a twit.

Second, I guarantee if you talked to a former executive--Charlie Casserly, since he's in the media, or if Simmons could still have Mike Lombardi on his show--they would say that this would be something a lot of scouts and GMs (and maybe coaches) would take into account. That it shows weakness that it wasn't handled both within the locker room and with a physical altercation.

It's the wrong view, but it's the football view.

Polian took a contrasting view, but I do agree with you especially with the older football types that many would say that Incognito with his edge is an intangible and that Martin needs to "man up."

@levineps

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Polian took a contrasting view, but I do agree with you especially with the older football types that many would say that Incognito with his edge is an intangible and that Martin needs to "man up."

Did he say HE wouldn't think it, or that he didn't think others would? Because I don't think anyone would admit to it in public, while in private I'm sure it is common.

@DJ_McCann

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Football Players Hate Each Other More Than You Think

@DJ_McCann

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Bart Scott on CBS Radio: if Richie Incognito was a RAVEN they would've torn the logo off his chest & kicked him out the door.@cbsbaltimore

• SammyBirdland likes this

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

SOE: Misplaced Loyalty

Between the Aaron Hernandez stuff and this, Pouncey is coming off as a real awesome person.

@DJ_McCann

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Sun-Sentinel: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin

Coach Philbin, you hear that grinding noise? That's the sound of the guillotine being sharpened.

• You Play to Win the Game and Icterus galbula like this
@DJ_McCann

#58 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sun-Sentinel: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin

Coach Philbin, you hear that grinding noise? That's the sound of the guillotine being sharpened.

I just read that. A lot of people are going to lose jobs over this. Now, if true, is Incognito off the hook? Its the "A Few Good Men" plot. Coaches ordered the code red, incognito took it too far.
@BSLMikeRandall

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

I just read that. A lot of people are going to lose jobs over this. Now, if true, is Incognito off the hook? Its the "A Few Good Men" plot. Coaches ordered the code red, incognito took it too far.

The sad part is, the article itself says that hazing rituals are something Joe Philbin opposes, and he told the players not to do them, but he didn't enforce anything as they happened.

That's bad. It makes him look like one hell of an ineffectual coach.

It doesn't take Incognito off the hook in any case, because even if he was "under orders" he still took things WAY too far. But it would make the overall defense from his teammates seem in less poor taste than it looks right now.

@DJ_McCann

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users