• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

You're probably right:

Sports Illustrated (Archives): Suspended 'Husker Incognito Enrolls at Oregon

http://sportsillustr...n.ap/?mobile=no

It was pointed out he deleted his tweets to various media outlets on this issue.

@levineps

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

LOL @ Chick:

AKm7AwM.png

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

I wonder if this changes how teams do rookies hazing at all, at all levels of sports? Like I said, it's always fun to me when the O's do the whole dress-up thing. But I can imagine, that some teams are going to try to be *safe* here.

@levineps

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

This is going to get really awesome.  Incognito seems like the type of idiot who will continue to fight this and complain about the "wussification" of the NFL and the United States.  Going to be just some Grade A racism, bigotry, and stupidity coming from him (and apparently his Dad, too).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#25 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

I wonder if this changes how teams do rookies hazing at all, at all levels of sports? Like I said, it's always fun to me when the O's do the whole dress-up thing. But I can imagine, that some teams are going to try to be *safe* here.

As a quick aside, this is exactly why I love my bigotry and idiocy out-front and center. It's just so entertaining.

Back on subject...It's unfortunate, but I don't think you have a choice.

I just imagine a baseball team doing some sort of hazing with, say, a Pete Harnisch on their team, or something. Suppose if that person ends up getting so depressed that they kill themselves. How much responsibility would fall on the team, and the NFL as a whole? Might as well nip this in the bud before it's too late.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

You're probably right:

Ha! I had totally forgotten about his (very brief) time at Oregon. I don't think he even lasted long enough to play in a single game before getting tossed.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

You're probably right:

Ha! I had totally forgotten about his (very brief) time at Oregon. I don't think he even lasted long enough to play in a single game before getting tossed.

Wow. This guy is a maniac.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Wow. This guy is a maniac.

Incognito named 2nd most dirty player (ESPN)

@levineps

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Slurs in Incognito's messages

Transcripts of voice mail messages and text messages left for the Miami Dolphins' Jonathan Martin by teammate Richie Incognito indicate a pattern of racial epithets and profane language.

Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN that the following is a transcript of a voice message Incognito left for Martin in April 2013, a year after Martin was drafted:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Just wow. I can only wonder how this did not come out sooner.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Slurs in Incognito's messages

Just wow. I can only wonder how this did not come out sooner.

Just reviewing the timeline here, it's very hard to give him any benefit of the doubt.

@levineps

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Man I feel really bad for Martin here.  Just imagine, thinking these guys are your teammates and you sit down and then they all stand up and leave.  Just has to be an awful feeling and that sort of treatment nobody, whether its a kid in middle school or a starting tackle in the NFL should have to deal with.

As for Richie Incognito, good riddance.  The first play you come back I hope the other team's starting middle linebacker "accidentally" gets blocked into your knee.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

So if you're Martin, do you go back to the Dolphins? While Incognito will be gone, he apparently was just the one leading all this. Now that what I'm sure we all suspected has pretty much been confirmed, that at least some of the harassment was racially motivated, would you rejoin your other teammates, some of whom are among your own race, that either participated in or at least condoned this?

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

So if you're Martin, do you go back to the Dolphins? While Incognito will be gone, he apparently was just the one leading all this. Now that what I'm sure we all suspected has pretty much been confirmed, that at least some of the harassment was racially motivated, would you rejoin your other teammates, some of whom are among your own race, that either participated in or at least condoned this?

If I'm the NFLPA, I'm pushing for the Dolphins to grant this kid his release and a chance to go to another team. 

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

If I'm the NFLPA, I'm pushing for the Dolphins to grant this kid his release and a chance to go to another team. 

Either that, or maybe the NFL can make a special exemption to allow him to be traded within the next couple weeks. However it works out, I hope he does get to have a fresh start with new teammates.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Yeah ideally speaking I'd hope he get his release granted. Could he sue the Dolphins for tolerating this? (not a lawyer here) But if the choice is either playing or not playing, I'm guessing the former. He signed for nearly $3 million guaranteed, he's only in the 2nd year of his contract, so I'd imagine he play it out if that was his only option. (http://www.spotrac.c...onathan-martin/)

@levineps

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Yeah ideally speaking I'd hope he get his release granted. Could he sue the Dolphins for tolerating this? (not a lawyer here) But if the choice is either playing or not playing, I'm guessing the former. He signed for nearly $3 million guaranteed, he's only in the 2nd year of his contract, so I'd imagine he play it out if that was his only option. (http://www.spotrac.c...onathan-martin/)

Without being familiar with workplace laws in Florida, I'd say absolutely. Of course, the Dolphins have not withheld any pay from him since he left the team, so at this point there haven't been any economic damages that we know of. He would be suing for non-economic damages (i.e. emotional distress).

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

What Incognito said is totally out of line. But how big is Johnathan Martin? Why not just beat the hell out of Incognito? Better yet, how did he restrian from pounding his face in?
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

What Incognito said is totally out of line. But how big is Johnathan Martin? Why not just beat the hell out of Incognito? Better yet, how did he restrian from pounding his face in?

Easy to say, but I would assume unless you have actually been a victim of bullying then you can never really understand how easy it is to be emotionally beaten down by others, even if physically you're the bigger guy. Remember, while Incognito was the ringleader, it's been widely mentioned that he was not the only guy in on this, so there's strength in numbers. Plus, this began last year when Martin was just a rookie trying to fit in and gain the acceptance of the veterans....that already puts you in a somewhat vulnerable situation.

• Mark Carver likes this

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Good question in all seriousness, it would break a lot of people. Looking at the tale of the tap, they're about even, height advantage to Martin. 

But to answer your question, I'd imagine because he realizes once he fights back, he's considered just as bad for not showing restrain. Also, Incognito is the veteran (and a former Pro Bowler), so I'd imagine he get the benefit of the doubt in "he said, she said," type thing.

Also, maybe team politics/chemistry wise, they'd back Incognito? Although I did hear today from some of the reports that other Dolphins were happy that Martin said something because they were afraid to.

@levineps

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

PHOTO: Dolphins' Richie Incognito doesn't like taxes or rookies (CBS Sports)

Incognito.Instagram.456.png

BIAEFGYCYAEGcDy.jpg

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=