Photo

Miami Dolphins


  • Please log in to reply
524 replies to this topic

#1 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

    Half-Member, Half-Amazing

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Dolphins tag Randy Starks, so Jake Long is hitting the open market. A year ago teams would have been lining up for a shot at Long. With a down year and triceps surgery, it will be interesting to see what contract he'll command.

http://www.usatoday.... ... g/1962175/

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

    I Miss McNulty

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Some team will grossly overpay.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33


#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

 

Dolphins.com: Jeff Ireland Recaps The 2013 Draft
http://www.miamidolp...0b-84fa7c2736ea



#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

http://m.palmbeachpo...ovements/nXhQF/

Dolphins citing "long term future of the team in jeopardy" as the reason for no stadium upgrades to Sun Life Stadium.

Is this the franchise that moves to L.A.?
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

http://m.palmbeachpo...ovements/nXhQF/

Dolphins citing "long term future of the team in jeopardy" as the reason for no stadium upgrades to Sun Life Stadium.

Is this the franchise that moves to L.A.?

My guess is they'll come through when they realize involved. This is why the NFL is more valuable without a team in LA than with one. They can always float this leverage out there. San Antonio or any other market you want to name without a team just isn't the same.

 

Now if they do move, I think Jacksonville or Tampa could head south (most likely the former) since thats a big market opening up. I think the Bills lease is for seven years and as I've mentioned before the age of the owner is an issue. I don't think he went to any games this year.


@levineps

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

http://m.palmbeachpo...ovements/nXhQF/

Dolphins citing "long term future of the team in jeopardy" as the reason for no stadium upgrades to Sun Life Stadium.

Is this the franchise that moves to L.A.?

No. Something will happen.

 

Supposedly the guy who was pushing the referendum bill through the Florida legislature reneged at the last minute and let it die in committee. I would bet that this won't happen again next year.


@DJ_McCann

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

According to the stadium's website, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross owns 95% of the building and surrounding land (former Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga owns the remaining 5%). I think that makes it even more difficult for Ross, or a future owner, to walk away from, as opposed to a publicly-owned facility. Especially after the Marlins left, and now the only other regular tenants are The U and the Orange Bowl, which amount to about 7 or 8 events per year. Throw in a few other things like concerts and soccer exhibitions, and if they're lucky maybe the championship game for the College Football Playoff once every few years, and I don't know that the stadium can be profitable enough for an owner without his own team playing in there.



#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

According to the stadium's website, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross owns 95% of the building and surrounding land (former Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga owns the remaining 5%). I think that makes it even more difficult for Ross, or a future owner, to walk away from, as opposed to a publicly-owned facility. Especially after the Marlins left, and now the only other regular tenants are The U and the Orange Bowl, which amount to about 7 or 8 events per year. Throw in a few other things like concerts and soccer exhibitions, and if they're lucky maybe the championship game for the College Football Playoff once every few years, and I don't know that the stadium can be profitable enough for an owner without his own team playing in there.

Not sure, the Panthers were targeted previously because it was a privately owned stadium, making a move easier.

 

The Dolphins CEO said that it was unlikely Ross would move, but it could be a future owner. Again I don't think they move, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.


@levineps

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Not sure, the Panthers were targeted previously because it was a privately owned stadium, making a move easier.

 

The Dolphins CEO said that it was unlikely Ross would move, but it could be a future owner. Again I don't think they move, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I just don't see how the economics would work for an NFL owner who also owns his stadium to relocate, unless the new city was offering him a whopper of a deal to help offset that. I suppose the owner could try to sell it to a developer that just wants the land and would demolish the stadium, but if you have another tenant with a long-term lease to use the stadium I'm not sure how easy that would be. I guess the other option would be to sell it to the municipality, who could then hope to lure another team to play there eventually.

 

Still, sounds to me like the threat of relocation here is even more hot air than for a team that plays in a public facility. I also think something gets worked out, especially since Miami's future as a regular Super Bowl host is also at stake.



#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

According to the stadium's website, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross owns 95% of the building and surrounding land (former Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga owns the remaining 5%). I think that makes it even more difficult for Ross, or a future owner, to walk away from, as opposed to a publicly-owned facility. Especially after the Marlins left, and now the only other regular tenants are The U and the Orange Bowl, which amount to about 7 or 8 events per year. Throw in a few other things like concerts and soccer exhibitions, and if they're lucky maybe the championship game for the College Football Playoff once every few years, and I don't know that the stadium can be profitable enough for an owner without his own team playing in there.

On the other hand, Ross would argue (and is) that to get major events like the championship game in college football and the Super Bowl, Miami needs a new stadium. A major part of the push this time around was getting Super Bowl L in a few years, and the NFL has said they won't bring the Super Bowl back to Miami at that stadium.


@DJ_McCann

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

On the other hand, Ross would argue (and is) that to get major events like the championship game in college football and the Super Bowl, Miami needs a new stadium. A major part of the push this time around was getting Super Bowl L in a few years, and the NFL has said they won't bring the Super Bowl back to Miami at that stadium.

But it wouldn't really be a "new" stadium, just major renovations to the current one....which presumably he would still own.



#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Grantland: All-22 All-Star Team: The Rebirth of Cameron Wake
http://www.grantland...of-cameron-wake



#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

ESPN: Stephen Ross preaches patience

 

http://espn.go.com/n...ding-foundation


@levineps

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Dolphins.com: Tannehill in a bounce back mode
http://www.thefinsid...2670.1380891071



#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

CBS Sports: Richie Incognito suspended indefinitely by Dolphins

 

http://www.cbssports...ely-by-dolphins


@levineps

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

CBS Sports: Richie Incognito suspended indefinitely by Dolphins

 

http://www.cbssports...ely-by-dolphins

 

Good. Now they should terminate Philbin. Inexcusable to allow this to happen to the extent that it did. I guess I'd let the facts be collected fully first before making that determination - but early indications point to Philbin as having zero control or concern for his locker room.



#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Good. Now they should terminate Philbin. Inexcusable to allow this to happen to the extent that it did. I guess I'd let the facts be collected fully first before making that determination - but early indications point to Philbin as having zero control or concern for his locker room.

Yeah let's see how this plays out, I'm not going to rush to judgment on Philbin. Good chance he'll get fired if he can't turn the Dolphins around anyways. All the more reason, the Dolphins shouldn't be engaging in this since the team isn't in a position to have as much "fun" as other teams are. I saw comments like "society is softer." I guess those same people feel Mike Rice and Bobby Knight shouldn't have been terminated because after all Bear Bryant was pretty successful withholding water from practices to make the players tougher. Workplace bullying even when it's the football field still isn't acceptable.

 

Rookie hazing is fine within limits and as long as it's all within good fun. I think it's fun to see what the Orioles decide to do to their rookies every year with the whole dress up thing. Apparently, Armando Benitez wasn't the biggest fan of this however. Like everything there's a limit to it. When Buck took over the O's, some veterans still thought it was OK to haze Wieters, which Buck put a stop too knowing how valuable he was to the team.

 

Here's what Brenden Ayanbadejo had to say on it. (Fox Sports)

 

I understand you need to be tough on the football field, and you have to take coaching advice and critiques as a tool to make you a better football player and not as a personal attack.But there needs to be a better way to condition athletes to let them know that this mentality ends when you walk off the football field and when you leave the meeting room.


@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Deadspin: Is Richie Incognito's Dad Blasting Jonathan Martin On Message Boards?

 

http://deadspin.com/...on-m-1457997230


@levineps

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can't put my finger on why, but just watching Incognito play and interact on the field always left me with the impression that he was a complete ass. Guess that's one hunch of mine that turned out to be true.



#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,455 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

I can't put my finger on why, but just watching Incognito play and interact on the field always left me with the impression that he was a complete ass. Guess that's one hunch of mine that turned out to be true.

 

You're probably right:

 

Sports Illustrated (Archives): Suspended 'Husker Incognito Enrolls at Oregon

http://sportsillustr...n.ap/?mobile=no

 

Center Richie Incognito, who was suspended indefinitely by Nebraska after repeated discipline problems, has enrolled at the University of Oregon.

 

Incognito, who also was convicted of a misdemeanor assault charge, is ineligible to play this season under NCAA rules, but could join Oregon practices in the next week pending physical exams.

 

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti has stipulated that Incognito complete an anger-management course and adhere to a strict code of conduct.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Our Sponsors


 width=