Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Incognito and Martin: An Insider’s Story

http://mmqb.si.com/2...1t_a2&eref=sihp

I don’t believe Richie Incognito bullied Jonathan Martin. I never saw Martin singled out, excluded from anything, or treated any differently than the rest of us. We’d have dinners and the occasional night out, and everyone was invited. He was never told he can’t be a part of this. It was the exact opposite. But when he came out, he was very standoffish. That’s why the coaches told the leaders, bring him out of his shell. Figure him out a little bit.

That’s where Incognito ran into a problem. Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter. He was the jokester on the team, and he joked with everybody from players to coaches. That voicemail he sent came from a place of humor, but where he really screwed up was using the N-word. That, I cannot condone, and it’s probably the biggest reason he’s not with the team right now. Odd thing is, I’ve heard Incognito call Martin the same thing to his face in meetings and all Martin did was laugh.

Interesting read.

• Mackus likes this

#82 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Incognito and Martin: An Insider’s Story

http://mmqb.si.com/2...1t_a2&eref=sihp

Interesting read.

http://profootballta...t-was-going-on/

Characterized as a first-person account, it’s clear there are several key aspects on which Murtha wouldn’t have had first-hand information.

And so the biggest question becomes, on those points, where did he get the information?

• Mackus and Icterus galbula like this
@DJ_McCann

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

This guy was cut at the end of August 2012.  Martin was drafted in April 2012.  How can he say that Incognito never bullied him when he was only around for the preseason in Martin's rookie year?

Chad Johnson was teammates with Martin for about the same amount of time as this guy.

Edit:  Also, Murtha and Incognito were at Nebraska together for a very brief period.  Murtha's 1st year at Nebraska was 2004 (he redshirted).  Incognito was entering his Junior year at Nebraska in 2004 when he got suspended and eventually left the university in early September of '04.  Not sure I buy that this guy doesn't "have a dog in this fight."

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

ESPN: Martin had issues with several Fins

@DJ_McCann

#85 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Question what you will about how much Murtha knows abot the Martin- Incognito "bullying" since he was cut in Aug '12 but I think he is spot on about this not being a big deal in general inside an NFL locker room and the Dolphins organization and coaches knowing about this stuff.

I do tend to think Incognito is being a scapegoat here. Now, many Dolphins players had issue with Martin per his agent. This is a case where Incginto and his past reputation is being used against him and to push an agenda by Martin and his "team". Martin has issues and isn't cut out for an NFL lockerroom. I get that people have real life issues and have to deal with them.  I just don't like bringing down a player, now teammates, and a whole organization because you're not able to hack it in the NFL.

I really hope this thing basically goes away. Just more people trying to pile on the NFL and their bad reputation right now.

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Given everything else that's coming out right now, I tend to think BNick may be right. That said, I don't feel bad about Incognito's name being dragged threw the mud a bit given how much of an asshole he is. But it doesn't mean he should be suspended or have his career ruined over it.

#87 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Given everything else that's coming out right now, I tend to think BNick may be right. That said, I don't feel bad about Incognito's name being dragged threw the mud a bit given how much of an asshole he is. But it doesn't mean he should be suspended or have his career ruined over it.

Yeah, I think Incognito is  an asshole. However, he's lost his job, and quite possibly his career over this. That's too far as the scapegoat for Martin's issues and  not being able to hack it in the NFL.

#88 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, I think Incognito is  an asshole. However, he's lost his job, and quite possibly his career over this. That's too far as the scapegoat for Martin's issues and  not being able to hack it in the NFL.

How many times have we declared people's careers "over" only for them to resurface? I actually think some team is going to give him a 2nd chance, he's actually on like his fifth chance right now.

I don't think Incognito is much of a scapegoat though.

@levineps

#89 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

How many times have we declared people's careers "over" only for them to resurface? I actually think some team is going to give him a 2nd chance, he's actually on like his fifth chance right now.

I don't think Incognito is much of a scapegoat though.

Of course you don't.

Martin has issues with a ton of players apparently and many players had issues with them. It's now being said by more than one player who was in the locker room at various points throughout '12 and '13 that Incognito had took Martin under his wing and treated him better than a lot of other people. He's absolutely a scapegoat as the voicemail and texts are being taken out of context to push Martin's agenda.

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Of course you don't.

Martin has issues with a ton of players apparently and many players had issues with them. It's now being said by more than one player who was in the locker room at various points throughout '12 and '13 that Incognito had took Martin under his wing and treated him better than a lot of other people. He's absolutely a scapegoat as the voicemail and texts are being taken out of context to push Martin's agenda.

Incognito probably wasn't the best person for this mentorship given his past history. But the Dolphins appointed him to their leadership council. This sounds like the organization doesn't do a good job of identifying it's leaders. I have a hard time with the language being used that it was taken so out of context. When you have Incognito's track record, it's hard to see this good side of him. So Martin wasn't the most likeable guy in the locker room, yeah I get why this happened in the first place. I also get why the Dolphins players are taking Incognito's side. I don't think there's much of agenda on Martin's part. He had to leave the team, he couldn't take it anymore. Maybe he needed thicker skin but this didn't happen overnight. Based on what former and current players have been saying from other teams, I tend to think the Dolphins locker room was more chaotic than the typical NFL locker room.

@levineps

#91 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Incognito probably wasn't the best person for this mentorship given his past history. But the Dolphins appointed him to their leadership council. This sounds like the organization doesn't do a good job of identifying it's leaders. I have a hard time with the language being used that it was taken so out of context. When you have Incognito's track record, it's hard to see this good side of him. So Martin wasn't the most likeable guy in the locker room, yeah I get why this happened in the first place. I also get why the Dolphins players are taking Incognito's side. I don't think there's much of agenda on Martin's part. He had to leave the team, he couldn't take it anymore. Maybe he needed thicker skin but this didn't happen overnight. Based on what former and current players have been saying from other teams, I tend to think the Dolphins locker room was more chaotic than the typical NFL locker room.

Then you are very naïve.

Again, Martin couldn't hack it for whatever reason. That's fine. Not judging him on that, but go quietly. Admit to yourself you can't hack it or you aren't good enough.

This is  him and his agent trying to  capitalize on the NFL and it's reputation right now.

Let me tell you what's likely to happen. Martin will likely never play in the NFL and then he'll sue the NFL or the Dolphins or look to reach a settlement. You can tell me he doesn't need the money or whatever but I'm calling complete BS.

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Then you are very naïve.

Thanks!

Note: I said more than the typical locker room. I didn't say the Dolphins were that out of the ordinary.

@levineps

#93 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks!

Note: I said more than the typical locker room. I didn't say the Dolphins were that out of the ordinary.

it's not more than your typical HS locker room, let alone NFL locker room.

#94 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

it's not more than your typical HS locker room, let alone NFL locker room.

How many times have you been in the Dolphins locker room?

• SammyBirdland and KWebz like this
@levineps

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

ESPN: Pro-Incognito Fins leave no room for Martin

http://espn.go.com/b...room-for-martin

I tend to agree with this. I don't see this ending well for Martin regardless of what ends up happening to Incognito. Dolphins should grant him his immediate release. Like Incognito, I think he'll catch on because there's only so many NFL capable positions.

@levineps

#96 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

How many times have you been in the Dolphins locker room?

How many times have you been in an NFL locker room to say it's more typical. How do these former and current  NFL players you've supposedly heard know if they haven't been in the Doplhins locker room.

Again, you can debate just how much Murtha knows about Incognito- Martin relationship but I think  he's spot on in saying nothing different was happening there than in any other locker room. And unlike these other players weighing in,  he actually was in that locker room at the same time as Martin and Incognito.

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

How many times have you been in an NFL locker room to say it's more typical. How do these former and current  NFL players you've supposedly heard know if they haven't been in the Doplhins locker room.

Again, you can debate just how much Murtha knows about Incognito- Martin relationship but I think  he's spot on in saying nothing different was happening there than in any other locker room. And unlike these other players weighing in,  he actually was in that locker room at the same time as Martin and Incognito.

Because many of them have played with many different teams over many years. Because you never heard this kind of story reaching this proportion. So you think Ray Lewis is lying?

You are so funny Bnickle, you got on other people's cases yesterday for being condescending and arrogant. So I guess you are done playing that card.

@levineps

#98 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Ray Lewis wasn't in that locker room . These are talking heads saying the "right" things. It's PC shtick.

You are a mini, younger Weber.

• McNulty likes this

#99 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ray Lewis wasn't in that locker room . These are talking heads saying the "right" things. It's PC schtick.

You are a mini, younger Weber.

Oh snaaaapppp... things just got real! :lol:

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

http://espn.go.com/e...&pollId=4039169

Kv8iwYg.png

Wow, we have a lot of dumb people left out there still. Unreal it's this close of a vote.

• Icterus galbula likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=