Photo

Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Fair or foul to boo Jim Johnson? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on booing a struggling hometown ballplayer?

1. Fair (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Foul (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Part of the issue with this, too, is that JJ is a victim of his own dominance. He has set the bar pretty high, and the expectations are there with it. He hasn't been utterly horrendous, but relative to what we expected, it's been pretty bad. That really isn't fair to him either. I get all of that. I think the biggest "x" factor for me as well is that he deserves a substantial amount of blame for us losing the ALDS last season, and that still stings.

The victim of your own success, seems to be the story of the Orioles year as well. The fact, nearly everything went the O's way last year, makes losing some of the games they have this year, more painful IMO. I got less of a problem with your blame with the ALCS especially since that's a shorter series, so his role is bigger. The only thing I'd say is our bats were pretty damn cold. It was a very winnable series and we had our chances. All-in-all, I wasn't too disappointed because it was such a magical year and they surpassed my wildest expectations. I was just so happy when they beat Texas that was huge for me. And on a personal level, it was great being able to go to both home games, which I could really appreciate this time around which I couldn't when I was 11 in 1996 when I went to an ALCS game (the game where Todd Zeile threw the ball down).

@levineps

#262 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

BUMP.

Hard single, throwing error and wild pitch. Quite the clinic this evening.

Not sure we'll be able to make up the ground this year. *sigh*
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#263 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

Not only should he be booed but you should be giving the biggest stink eyed glare at anyone clapping for the guy near you.

• ChaosLex likes this

#264 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

I don't think you're going to see too much empathy after tonight.

@levineps

#265 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

The Orioles could have traded Johnson, signed me for the league minimum and after an injury, gone closer by committee, and likely been in the playoffs.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#266 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

The Orioles could have traded Johnson, signed me for the league minimum and after an injury, gone closer by committee, and likely been in the playoffs.

I don't know about that. Our BP is pretty flawed. As I mentioned yesterday, we have a bunch of matchup relievers. That said, JJ has completely failed at his job.

I'll say for the 10th time by now, we can't spend 8-9 will on him next year. Pray we can trade him. If not, you have to non tender him.

#267 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I don't know about that. Our BP is pretty flawed. As I mentioned yesterday, we have a bunch of matchup relievers. That said, JJ has completely failed at his job.

I'll for the 10th time by now, we can't spend 8-9 will on him next year. Pray we can trade him. If not, you have to non tender him.

I agree with you here atleast somewhat hear. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the entire bullpen right now.

@levineps

#268 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

If they only had Koji.
  • ChaosLex likes this

#269 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

If they only had Koji.

Can Koji make up for Tommy Hunter and Darren O'Day right now as well as Jim Johnson?

@levineps

#270 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Just when I started to trust him again. No reason for him to be on this team next year unless he takes a paycut.

• ChaosLex likes this

#271 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

If they only had Koji.

Can Koji make up for Tommy Hunter and Darren O'Day right now as well as Jim Johnson?

Over the course of the season he would have made a huge difference. And yeah, right now he'd make a big impact too, he retired like 34 straight batters last I saw.

#272 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Just when I started to trust him again. No reason for him to be on this team next year unless he takes a paycut.

I'm pretty sure at this point, he'll be non-tendered, that's probably going to be his only option if even that.

@levineps

#273 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Over the course of the season he would have made a huge difference. And yeah, right now he'd make a big impact too, he retired like 34 straight batters last I saw.

Sure over the course of the season, there's probably ~5 less losses are so assuming he does the exact same thing here. L

Not sure which of these three games he definitely wins, considering he's only closing. He prolongs tonight, the offense does need to eventually score.

@levineps

#274 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Fair or foul to boo Johnson??????

BooThisMan.gif

• ChaosLex likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#275 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

I said we needed to resign Koji while watching him pitch against us in the Wildcard game last year. No excuse not to bring him back. Was excited when word has leaked at one point that we were talking to him.

DD really butchered this past offseason and I wish more people would start criticizing him for it. He's getting too much of a pass while I see Buck and PA take a lot of heat. Not that Buck, and especially PA, don't burden their share but DD sitting on essentially the same roster is unacceptable.

#276 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

After the news about the big bump in revenue this year, there's no excuse to bring back 90% of the same team. We need a new BP a DH for RHP and a SP or two. Lots of work for Danny this offseason.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#277 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Suppose the Orioles didn't non-tender Johnson and decided to let him be a starting pitcher. What would everyone's thoughts be on that? If he's going to be making $9M+, he might as well earn it being a starter. I think his stuff would translate better as a starter. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#278 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Suppose the Orioles didn't non-tender Johnson and decided to let him be a starting pitcher. What would everyone's thoughts be on that? If he's going to be making $9M+, he might as well earn it being a starter. I think his stuff would translate better as a starter. 

I'd rather they non-tender him and make him a starter. I think that ship has sailed. I think he'd problems going through the lineup 2-3 times. He's having a hard time getting through 3 batters much of the time, when he doesn't have to save himself for another inning. Who knows, I'm guessing he'll bounce back somewhat next year. I can't see him being this bad again.

@levineps

#279 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,934 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

He can't pitch one damn inning and now we want him to pitch 6 or 7?

Why not make him the 2B?  We've got a hole there, too.

• Oriole85 and SammyBirdland like this

#280 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

He can't pitch one damn inning and now we want him to pitch 6 or 7?

Why not make him the 2B?  We've got a hole there, too.

On that note, Brian Matusz also wants to start.

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=