Photo

Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Fair or foul to boo Jim Johnson? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on booing a struggling hometown ballplayer?

1. Fair (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Foul (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

CSN Baltimore: Could Johnson's injury actually help the O's?
http://www.csnbaltim...188&feedID=6876

As Dubroff mentioned, the O's are downplaying concerns about Johnson's back; but with the start of camp this story has now been reported several times and bears future watching.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'm very happy that one of the stories going to ST, is not about the conversion of Johnson back to being a starter. While I understand the temptation to see if his great stuff could be maintained as starter, that idea was something I never agreed with. When this year begins, Johnson will be 5 years removed from when he was last in a rotation. Johnson threw 91 ip last year, and I think it would have been a lot to ask him to throw 150 here in '12. As you will remember, he missed most of ’10 with the ligament tear in his elbow. To me, it would be a two year project to make him a 180 inning starter, and he is not even under team control after ’13. Just seems like it would have been an odd course of action for a guy turning 29 in June.

He finished '11 with 9 saves, 5 blown saves, and 18 holds. In those 91 ip, he allowed 80 hits, 5 homers, 21 bb’s, with 58 k’s. He had a .628OPS against, with a ridiculous 1.70 G/F.

I think you could argue that moving him this Winter should have been a priority, but he seems poised to have a big year out of the pen, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

NBC Hardball Talk: http://hardballtalk....ne-week-behind/

A good point that even if this 'lingers', he won't need many Grapefruit innings to be ready for the season.

#4 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

You are likely correct that making Johnson a starter would've been a multi-year project if done correctly. He's under team control for two more years. He would have pitched 120-125 innings this year, 150-160 next year, and if all went well, get the training wheels taken off in 2014 when he probably wouldn't have been with the team anymore. Also, if you put Johnson on a starter's program, he'd probably already have around 100 innings around the trade deadline, rendering his trade value as minimal at best because the team who got him would have to be so careful with his innings.
@BSLLukeJackson

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

I hope he can have a big first half closing games because if he reverts back to average reliever and fails as a closer, his value will not be much at the deadline.

I am not sure they move him either way but a big first half for him will likely put his value at an all time high and trading him would almost become a must.

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

I hope he can have a big first half closing games because if he reverts back to average reliever and fails as a closer, his value will not be much at the deadline.

I am not sure they move him either way but a big first half for him will likely put his value at an all time high and trading him would almost become a must.

This is the hope... he'd have very good value and would likely bring a Mike Adams-like package (LHSP Robbie Erlin and RHSP Joe Wieland) back.

LHSP=Left-Handed Starting Pitcher
RHSP=Right-Handed Starting Pitcher

#7 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

This is the hope... he'd have very good value and would likely bring a Mike Adams-like package (LHSP Robbie Erlin and RHSP Joe Wieland) back.

If Pedro Strop turns into what I hope he does, I am fine with them trading Johnson. I might be fine either way honestly if they can get a package like that.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

If Pedro Strop turns into what I hope he does, I am fine with them trading Johnson. I might be fine either way honestly if they can get a package like that.

Strop has good upside...but I think people are overrating him based on what he did to end the year last year.

Either way, JJ should be dealt if his value is high.

I do agree that if Strop can keep it up, that he makes trading JJ easier.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Danny Knobler / CBS Sports, has said on Twitter today that Scouts have told him that Johnson's velocity is down this Spring.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Edurado Encina / The Sun is reporting Johnson's velocity was better tonight... consistently 92-93, topping out at 94.

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Edurado Encina / The Sun is reporting Johnson's velocity was better tonight... consistently 92-93, topping out at 94.

Very good to hear. It'd be great if this is the year Johnson finally gets his shot and puts a stranglehold on the Orioles closer role.

@AdamWolff

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Was not easy, but he locked down his 5th, and 6th saves in Chicago. When he does give one back, I'm looking to see how he responds the following time out.

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

He can throw a filhty cutter one pitch and then hang something with the next pitch, like he did today aganst Morales. He is lucky that thing stayed in the park. That will come back to haunt him sooner or later.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Johnson says he is ready to go tonight. Been a nice start of the season for him.

Season to date: 7 saves, 0.00 era, 7.2 ip, 6 hits, 4 bb's, 6 k's, .603 OPS against, 2.83 G/F

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Johnson grabbed his 10th save tonight.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

Season: 12 saves, 0.54 era, 16.2 ip, 9 hits, 1 hr, 4 bb's, 12 k's, .456 OPS against, 2.91 G/F

Wow. Johnson has been incredible.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I thought he started the season a little shaky, getting some ugly saves by the skin of this teeth. But he's really settled in nicely over the last few weeks and has been really dominant.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

After letting up the HR to Zimmerman tonight, Johnson comes right back to get LaRoche and end the game.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Wonder how long he can keep this, always been a JJ fan. I know many wanted to make him a starter(and probably still do), but maybe this is the role for him.
@levineps

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Has not pitched since Tuesday, probably pitches tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=