Photo

Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Fair or foul to boo Jim Johnson? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on booing a struggling hometown ballplayer?

1. Fair (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Foul (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

He can't pitch one damn inning and now we want him to pitch 6 or 7?

Why not make him the 2B?  We've got a hole there, too.

He can get in line behind me. I'm trying out for 2B. My range sucks, but I have a good arm. Not much power in the bat, but I'll OPS 750 or so.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#282 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Converting him to a starter 3 years ago was a poor idea (I checked, I wrote against making him a starter 9/26/10). Converting him now makes even less sense.

He was last a starter in 2007, when he threw 148 innings. It would be a 2 year project to get his innings up.... and most importantly as Mackus said, why would he be more effective as a starter?

#283 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

He can get in line behind me. I'm trying out for 2B. My range sucks, but I have a good arm. Not much power in the bat, but I'll OPS 750 or so.

I'd pay you Robinson Cano's salary next year if you could walk on the field and OPS .750

@JeffLongBP

#284 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'd pay you Robinson Cano's salary next year if you could walk on the field and OPS .750

I think 200 would be impressive for anyone who wasn't a college level player.

• JeffLong likes this

#285 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Considering I couldn't hit a 55 MPH 4-seem fastball in little league, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :lol:

#286 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think many casual fans underestimate just how difficult it is to hit MLB pitching. Just watch pitchers especially AL ones bat.

@levineps

#287 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think many casual fans underestimate just how difficult it is to hit MLB pitching. Just watch pitchers especially AL ones bat.

How many swings do you think it would it take you (not you specifically, you generically) to hit a pitch (fair) in a 90 mph batting cage?

@JeffLongBP

#288 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

How many swings do you think it would it take you (not you specifically, you generically) to hit a pitch (fair) in a 90 mph batting cage?

So I knew the pitch was coming right down the middle? I don't know the answer. I think you could would just keep swining and hope to make contact. I doubt think I ever could.

So the generic version is someone who played Little League but not high school I'm guessing? Because there's of course, plenty who never made it that far.

I'm guessing there have been studies on this? Anyone who hasn't played high school ball (which I didn't, stopped in 7th grade -- I'm guessing if I had gotten glasses earlier I would've continued for a little while longer), I'd imagine would have a very difficult time hitting anything close to minor league pitching.

@levineps

#289 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

A bit off-topic but my brother was telling me how Jennie Finch has struck out a lot of MLBers because they aren't used to the way she throws and with the softball. I told him it kind of reminded me of Darren O'Day. Not exactly overpowering stuff and he even likes to joke that he "throws like a girl," but he's able to overwhelm MLB hitters because they aren't used to it.

@levineps

#290 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

So I knew the pitch was coming right down the middle? I don't know the answer. I think you could would just keep swining and hope to make contact. I doubt think I ever could.

So the generic version is someone who played Little League but not high school I'm guessing? Because there's of course, plenty who never made it that far.

I'm guessing there have been studies on this? Anyone who hasn't played high school ball (which I didn't, stopped in 7th grade -- I'm guessing if I had gotten glasses earlier I would've continued for a little while longer), I'd imagine would have a very difficult time hitting anything close to minor league pitching.

Personal note - I hopped in a 90 mph batting cage a year ago to see how I fared. Now, a couple of things. It was a 90 mph equivalent cage meaning it wasn't a full 60' from release to the plate. Also it was a batting cage which is 100x harder for me than real pitching.

That said, I used to hit 90 mph pitching in high school and summer ball. It took me about 6 swings to foul tip one, and another 7 or 8 more to hit one that would've been right down the first base line. I'd say that within 25 pitches I could've hit one fair that was respectable but man it was sobering.

@JeffLongBP

#291 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Personal note - I hopped in a 90 mph batting cage a year ago to see how I fared. Now, a couple of things. It was a 90 mph equivalent cage meaning it wasn't a full 60' from release to the plate. Also it was a batting cage which is 100x harder for me than real pitching.

That said, I used to hit 90 mph pitching in high school and summer ball. It took me about 6 swings to foul tip one, and another 7 or 8 more to hit one that would've been right down the first base line. I'd say that within 25 pitches I could've hit one fair that was respectable but man it was sobering.

It's always a good reminder whenever you hear someone say in all seriousness, "that was right down the middle, how did he miss that?" It's like an free throw in basketball or 5 foot putt miss in golf, where you really can say "I could've done better," albeit it's always harder when thousands/millions are watching you.

@levineps

#292 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

I still say the hardest thing to do in pro sports is hit MLB pitching. So much you have to do in such a small period of time. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#293 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

BSL: Johnson 2012 vs. Johnson 2013
http://baltimorespor...johnson-2013-2/

#294 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner