Photo

Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Fair or foul to boo Jim Johnson? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on booing a struggling hometown ballplayer?

1. Fair (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Foul (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

The mindset shouldn't be where you practically think you are on the team. How competitive one is doesn't matter much because we aren't competing.

Losses can be incredibly frustrating, but at the end of the day for me, it's just a game, and one that I have no influence on. So while I'll get frustrated and upset, it's important to remember that imo so I can avoid having it affect me to the point where it's unhealthy.

Screw that. Obviously, I know there is nothing I can do to personally influence how the team plays. Doesn't matter. I'm going to live and die with this team.

Maybe things will change someday when I have a family or somehow find a way to get a different perspective but for now this is my passion.

#202 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

I vote for Matt Wieters as the new closer.

@DJ_McCann

#203 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Neyer: Buck Showalter and his Closing Committee

@DJ_McCann

#204 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

Sports on Earth: Is Johnson doing any different?
http://www.sportsone...ticle/58057592/

#205 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Probably means nothing but interesting how the writer said Orioles pitching coach...not interim pitching coach.

#206 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Probably means nothing but interesting how the writer said Orioles pitching coach...not interim pitching coach.

I'm totally speculating here, but I think Adair is gone for the rest of the regular season. I got that sense from the recent interview on MASN with Castro. I really wouldn't be surprised if Adair is gone with the club.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@levineps

#207 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

It hasn't been the longest stretch but Jim Johnson has been reliable lately.

Do you still get nervous when he comes into the game especially in a one-run situation?

My feelings are this, I'm more comfortable but in the back of my mind, the struggles of various parts earlier in the year.

At this point would you rather have someone close the games? For a while, I wanted to see what others particularly Tommy Hunter would do in this role, but at this point I'd keep Jim Johnson in it. Now I don't think Buck should over-extend him here, like avoiding pitching him three days in a row if possible.

• Russ likes this
@levineps

#208 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'm still not confident in him, but I would allow him to close games at this point.  Not making a full-time switch to Hunter or any others. 

If he's pitched two straight days, though, I'm going to someone else.  And would consider starting with Matusz if there are a couple lefties due up.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#209 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm still not confident in him, but I would allow him to close games at this point.  Not making a full-time switch to Hunter or any others. 

If he's pitched two straight days, though, I'm going to someone else.  And would consider starting with Matusz if there are a couple lefties due up.

Agree with this. I'm all for playing the matchups when it calls for it.

#210 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

His ERA is pushing back toards the low 3's. He's likely to end up with 45 plus saves.

He does seem to be in a better groove right now. So lets hope he finishes strong puts up solid numbers and we are able to unload him in a trade this offseason. We can't afford to be the team paying him 9 mil next year.

#211 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

I guess it boils down to whether you think he's not feeling right or if it's mental when he goes through his bad spells.  If it's mental, then there's no reason to think it won't keep happening.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#212 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

He's back to using all of his pitches....when he has done that, he has been very good.

When he gets away from that, he struggles because he is too predictable.

#213 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

I agree that we will not pay him 9 million next year, but JJ seems to have grown more confident in the curve and has been throwing more strikes which allows him to get ahead in the count and does not give the batter the luxury to lay off the sinker.

@mikeghg

#214 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

It's hard to predict what Johnson will look like in any given outing. It's obvious when he doesnt have it because there is no movement on his sinker and all his pitches are up. I think Buck should have someone warming behind him every single time out there. I wonder if it is simply a matter of how much rest he has. Whatever it is I am all for using Matusz/Hunter as well or whatever the match-up dictates.

@gabefergy

#215 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I know it's bad, but...what's ultimately wrong with Jim faking an injury when he finds out that he doesn't have "it"? Then someone can come to the rescue and take all of the time they need.

I'm not saying to do it more than once, but it should be back-pocket, right?

#216 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

I know it's bad, but...what's ultimately wrong with Jim faking an injury when he finds out that he doesn't have "it"? Then someone can come to the rescue and take all of the time they need.

He'd never do it.  He doesn't want to come out.  Even when he's not on his game, he obviously still thinks he can get the job done.

#217 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

I rather the team lose, then they pull out the win because of some sort of shady business like that.

• SportsGuy likes this

#218 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I rather the team lose, then they pull out the win because of some sort of shady business like that.

Totally agree.

The onus should be on Buck to realize he is struggling and get him out.

#219 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Johnson is a very good reliever.  He is not a shut down closer.  There are incredibly few of those.

If someone is willing to give up something of use...deal him and install Hunter or whoever in the role next year.

#220 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Rivera has now blown 7 saves this year FWIW.

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=