353 replies to this topic

#281 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get plunked tonight.

If he is, it will obviously be on purpose and the last thing we need is Reynolds hurt or suspended. They should put Gregg in the dugout tonight and make him the designated mound-charger.

#282 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

OPS at 803 now!

#283 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get plunked tonight.

Funny you say that, We were walking out of the park last night and I heard a guy wearing a Mantle jersey say that Jones was going to get plunked tonight. To me, I saw nothing wrong that would start a war. Andruw Jones got hit but that was the last thing Wolfe wanted up in the count with men on base.

Part of it may be that the Yankees knew that the Orioles were intimidated by them. This model of the Orioles goes toe to toe with them so maybe that is what annoys them.
@mikeghg

#284 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

This is why back in May I wanted to stick with Reynolds. I did not want the O's to ship him off because when he gets on an absolute tear like this, he can't be stopped. And it isn't just his bat, his glove has been terrific. His swagger is contagious. I love him just tossing his bat after that homer saying "we're not taking your crap anymore Yankees, it's done." This has been fun to watch and call me crazy, but I knew something like this was due for him. It's not like he is a bad guy. He has great intentions and wants to bring what he can to the ballpark everyday and he deserves this. We know he is going to slump and when he does, its a bad slump but when he gets going boy is it fun to watch.
@Langley486

#285 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Watching ESPN earlier in the week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday, and Rick Sutcliffe basically said that one of the reasons Reynolds is hitting the ball right now is because he doesn't have to focus on the defense of 3rd base anymore and can focus more on hitting. Not sure if it is entirely accurate, but it does make a little sense to me.

Starting to make that David Hernandez trade inch closer to being more balanced, IMO.
@mrbeanage

#286 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Watching ESPN earlier in the week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday, and Rick Sutcliffe basically said that one of the reasons Reynolds is hitting the ball right now is because he doesn't have to focus on the defense of 3rd base anymore and can focus more on hitting. Not sure if it is entirely accurate, but it does make a little sense to me.

Starting to make that David Hernandez trade inch closer to being more balanced, IMO.

It's a good off the cuff guess, but it's wrong. I posted it somewhere yesterday I think, but when you look at his splits, he's actually MOST effective with the bat at 3B (but lower avg. than 1B), LEAST effective at DH where he would have to think about NO defense, and a hair under his 3B production at 1B. In 81 games at 1B it's not too small of a sample size anymore, and his defense there has been top 3rd of MLB and on par with guys like Pujols or Pena.
@JeremyMStrain

#287 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Seems backwards to me.

My completely made-up theory is that he forgot how to hit balls hard because being lousy at 3rd ate away at him... and he's hitting again because he made himself into a good 1B-man, so now he feels like a real baseball player again... (or something like that...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#288 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

From Jayson Stark of ESPN -

You think the Yankees have seen enough Mark Reynolds home run trots to last them another century or so? This man just did something only one other player in the history of the Yankees had ever done -- spew out three multihomer games against them in one season. The other guy to do it? That would be the great Hank Greenberg in 1938.

[In 12 games against the Yankees this season, Mark Reynolds is batting .333 with six homers and 13 RBIs.
Ah, but it took Greenberg 27 days (in May and June) to do that. It took Reynolds only a week (Aug. 31, Sept. 2 and Sept. 6) -- a span of just four games. So …

Who is the last man to cram three multihomer games against the same team into four games in the same week? Would you believe Ted Williams, against the White Sox, on Aug. 24, 26 and 27, 1949?

And how many other players, according to Elias, have ever had three multihomer games in a stretch of four games against any team, over any length of time? Just two: Harmon Killebrew against the Tigers in 1959 and Albert Belle against the White Sox in 1995.

Finally, who is the last player to have three multihomer games against any team this late in a season (i.e., from Aug. 31 on)? The Sultan of Swat Stats, SABR home run historian David Vincent, reports it was Vladimir Guerrero against the Rangers on Sept. 17, 28 and 30, 2004.

So that's your multihomer pantheon: Hank Greenberg, Ted Williams, Harmon Killebrew, Albert Belle, Vladimir Guerrero and (of course!) Mark Reynolds.

http://espn.go.com/m... ... st-yankees

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#289 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Mark Reynolds is 3rd in the majors in one of my favorite stats, pitches per plate appearance. Obviously when you strike out, that helps a stat like this, but if you know anything about the approaches I like, I like guys who can make a starter work and get the bullpen in as soon as possible.

@AdamWolff

#290 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Mark Reynolds is 3rd in the majors in one of my favorite stats, pitches per plate appearance. Obviously when you strike out, that helps a stat like this, but if you know anything about the approaches I like, I like guys who can make a starter work and get the bullpen in as soon as possible.

One thing I like as well is "productive outs." If you can work the count, make the pitchers throw many pitches, it's not as bad IMO. Along with that, advancing runners, preferably not through sac bunts since you atleast probably made an effort to do more.
@levineps

#291 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,167 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

NBC Sports / HBT: Reynolds expected to play in WC game despite sore foot
http://hardballtalk....pite-sore-foot/

#292 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I would not like to be the guy that tells him he could not play. Everybody is dinged up, all hands on deck tonight.
@mikeghg

#293 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I would be more disappointed if he didn't want to play today, given the biggest game in 15 years. That being said, if he's a liability, compared to our best alternative option (Chris Davis at 1st?), than he should sit out. Basically if he can field today, i'll take him.
@levineps

#294 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

Mark Reynolds, who has a club option for next year, said he would love to be back in 2013. Said its the most fun he's ever had playing.

Do you want him back?

#295 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I do. Two year deal would be nice.

#296 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I do. Two year deal would be nice.

Samsies. I'd love to have both he and Nate back for 2-3 years. Just not sure how else to upgrade the lineup if you bring everyone back and add Nick back. You know who would be great? M. Young if TEX would pick up at least half of his contract for 2B.
@JeremyMStrain

#297 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Samsies. I'd love to have both he and Nate back for 2-3 years. Just not sure how else to upgrade the lineup if you bring everyone back and add Nick back. You know who would be great? M. Young if TEX would pick up at least half of his contract for 2B.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Nick clearly helps with the OBP that this team lacked in the last few weeks. But is it enough to keep this team contending? Unless you have Nate as a 4th OF and bring in someone like Just Upton.

I'm not sure.

#298 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Nick clearly helps with the OBP that this team lacked in the last few weeks. But is it enough to keep this team contending? Unless you have Nate as a 4th OF and bring in someone like Just Upton.

I'm not sure.

Yeah I mean, this is where SG and I have disagreed, but I do NOT want to trade for a player. I think it's too important for the future to keep building and not subtracting from our prospects, and I don't think we can get anyone of value for the guys squeezed out of the rotation battle. If we could, sure...but I think Britton will come back strong next year, I think Jake could replace Strop as set up man, and intern to be a closer next year. I'm starting to warm to Hunter as a RP with that cranked up velo, but I'd want to see him continue it for a while before I'd hand him the closer role.

If someone looked at the success BMat had out of the pen and wanted to trade for him as a SP great, but I don't see that happening.

Me personally, I want to go after Grienke and sort out the rest of the rotation with what we have. Finding a 2B with good OBP would be perfect, but no idea where to get one of those. I dunno...I'm still not 100% on what I would change, but I wouldn't change as much as others. I like a lot of the pieces we have.
@JeremyMStrain

#299 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

If they add a SP then it would make a lot of sense to deal from their pitching depth to acquire a 2B, it just depends if there is one available that makes sense.

#300 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Camden Depot: Mark Reynolds: Release, Arbitration, or Use the Option
http://camdendepot.b...tration-or.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=