#61 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yep, this is worse than any denial or anything other than that.

If this is proven to be true, MLB should up the suspension to a full season. Absolutely disgraceful from Cabrera. The cover-up is always worse than the crime, and if MLB lets this slide their entire testing program will be seen as a complete joke.

Unfortunately, this system is agreed to by the union. There's no way the union would allow a further suspension.

#62 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Unfortunately, this system is agreed to by the union. There's no way the union would allow a further suspension.

But is there another form of discipline that could be imposed separate from the PED ban?

I'd think for a pre-meditated attempt at lying to cover up a positive test, not only does it show he KNEW he did something wrong, but you could make a case for a league discipline independent of the test penalty. I mean, if Rose gets BANNED for gambling, there has to be some kind of issue they can make.
@JeremyMStrain

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

The union agrees to suspensions for PED testing. This isn't that. This is something completely different. I think they should at least give him the punishment he deserves (I'd say a year at least, can be concurrent with the PED suspension, and if he was banned for life, I wouldn't complain at all) and then if a court knocks it down, so be it.

#64 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

The union agrees to suspensions for PED testing. This isn't that. This is something completely different. I think they should at least give him the punishment he deserves (I'd say a year at least, can be concurrent with the PED suspension, and if he was banned for life, I wouldn't complain at all) and then if a court knocks it down, so be it.

Exactly. This is premeditated conspiracy to defraud the investigation.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

I'll tell you what, if MLB can't suspend him further this would be one time I'd love to see a guy blackballed for awhile.

#66 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Oops, maybe not.

Melky Cabrera created a fake website in part of a ploy to get out of his 50-game suspension. The website was part of the presentation Cabrera and his representatives made to MLB and the players’ union before the league officially charged him with a doping violation.

http://www.nydailyne... ... -1.1139623

In my opinion, MLB should be increasing his suspension.

That's not good at all, I still appreciate the fact he didn't appeal and just said he got caught. Yes, he knew he had no chance, but still we see all these drag out or make up some bs excuse. Melky's value is slipping, the more that comes out. Sorry I'm not trying to defend him here, but I just find it annoying how all these athletes come up with some excuse and expect the public to buy it.
@levineps

#67 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

I think you need more deterrent to prevent steroids further -- Buster Olney's idea is two strike: a)a season b)lifetime ban. I don't quite support the latter, but I think a season then two season then life, would do it for me.
@levineps

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Baseball Analytics: Pence's Impatience Costing Him with Giants
http://www.baseballa...ith-giants.html

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Mercury News: Posey deserves to be MVP
http://www.willitsne...-mvp?source=rss

#70 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

ESPN: MLB won't bar Melky Cabrera

http://espn.go.com/m...e-batting-title

As I've already stated I'd like MLB to enact standards prohibiting a player found to have used steroids, be excluded from these such titles and awards. And in a case like Melky's in the 2nd half of the year, being banned in next years All-Star game.
@levineps

#71 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

http://hardballtalk.... ... ing-title/

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Good move by Melky.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Good move by Melky.

Yep...very classy.

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8407726

#74 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Forfeiting the batting title is the least of his worries, he cost himself many, many millions with the positive test!
@levineps

#75 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

ESPN: Melky Cabrera not in Giants' plans

http://espn.go.com/m...2012-postseason

Manager Bruce Bochy said Tuesday that he and general manager Brian Sabean are meeting to finalize their 25-man roster for the best-of-five division series. Cabrera would be allowed to play in the NLCS if the Giants advance that far, but -- at this stage, at least -- they have no intention of adding him to the roster at any point in the postseason.

The Giants have succeeded without Cabrera's big bat, clinching their second division crown in three seasons Saturday night against San Diego. And they are pushing ahead with the roster they have.

Not surprised and I think it's a good move for the Giants. it be a distraction IMO if he cameback.
@levineps

#76 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

There's one major problem with the Giants taking this stance on Cabrera: Guillermo Mota. He recently completed his second PED suspension, 100 games, and was welcomed back to the team (one that was willing to sign him after failing a test in the first place).

Why keep Mota around and not Cabrera?

#77 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

There's one major problem with the Giants taking this stance on Cabrera: Guillermo Mota. He recently completed his second PED suspension, 100 games, and was welcomed back to the team (one that was willing to sign him after failing a test in the first place).

Yeah I heard that on the baseball show podcast. Complete double standard that nobody is bringing up.
  • DJ MC likes this

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Why are they doing that? Even if we're willing to think the worst of Giants mgt, I don't understand what their motivation is...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#79 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Good point and obviously is. I would guess the reason is is that with Cabrera receiving more attention, the Giants see it as more of a distraction if he came back.
@levineps

#80 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hardball Talk: The Giants to decline their 2013 option on Aubrey Huff

http://hardballtalk....on-aubrey-huff/

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin