Photo

2012 MLB Draft

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

Poll: Overall, how would you grade the O's draft? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Overall, how would you grade the O's draft?

1. B (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

As much criticism as the O's farm system gets, it sure is nice to have two of the top 3 prospects in baseball!

#102 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

As much criticism as the O's farm system gets, it sure is nice to have two of the top 3 prospects in baseball!

It sure would be nice to have another of the top 25 had they signed Sano a couple years ago.
@JeremyMStrain

#103 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,148 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

I think that's pretty stupid honestly. Once he's up, he's up, don't insult him by sending him down to play with his service time, that's just asking for NO chance at him extending with you.

He's still a kid, and one that needs to work on his secondaries, you don't want to throw him into the thick of a pennant race while he's still not finished cooking. Yes he's very good, but he's also a teenager. Even Bryce Harper spent a year in Juco and then a year in the minors before he got called up.

Outside of David Price having been a college pitcher, would it be any different than Price in '08? Made his debut 9/14/08... pitched in 5 games, 1 start. Pitched in the playoffs. Came back up 5/25/09.

Would expect if Bundy was used in September, it only be in relief, probably only for a few innings.

#104 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I think that's pretty stupid honestly. Once he's up, he's up, don't insult him by sending him down to play with his service time, that's just asking for NO chance at him extending with you.

He's still a kid, and one that needs to work on his secondaries, you don't want to throw him into the thick of a pennant race while he's still not finished cooking. Yes he's very good, but he's also a teenager. Even Bryce Harper spent a year in Juco and then a year in the minors before he got called up.

I don't think David Price had much of an issue with it.

#105 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

It sure would be nice to have another of the top 25 had they signed Sano a couple years ago.

Sure. Of course 28 other teams fans could say "if we they only signed Sano" or whomever.

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Its what after them that is the issue, although Delmonico performing well helps, especially if Schoop gets going.

#107 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sure. Of course 28 other teams fans could say "if we they only signed Sano" or whomever.

Yes but they only had themselves to blame. They knew the number that would get him signed and just didn't do it.
@JeremyMStrain

#108 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Its what after them that is the issue, although Delmonico performing well helps, especially if Schoop gets going.

Yes, I'm not saying they don't deserve any criticism, but things are a little better than the picture some liked to paint imo.

#109 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yes, I'm not saying they don't deserve any criticism, but things are a little better than the picture some liked to paint imo.

The talent is/was lacking...but the development was even worse.

HOWEVER, the coach they brought over from Texas and Peterson make a difference.

Duquette's focus on development and what he did off the field this offseason, was very strong.

#110 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

So, I wanted to do a series of pieces on my blog about the upcoming draft. Sent out some e-mails last night to get in contact with the coaches at Duke, San Francisco, LSU and Stanford...and boom! Coaches at Duke and San Fran responded. So here I have coaches thoughts' on Marcus Stroman and Kyle Zimmer. http://www.mdprospor... ... le-zimmer/ I think there are some really interesting things in here about both of these pitchers -- Zimmer could be the O's BPA at 4 and Stroman could be a possible selection if they wanted to go in a different direction (less money at 1:4, more money for other picks). Check it out! Hope to have a piece soon on Mark Appel and Kevin Gausman...
@BSLLukeJackson

#111 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Nice piece! Good job Luke.
@JeremyMStrain

#112 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yep. Great stuff. Thanks.

#113 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

For those of you without Insider: (For those of you curious, Keith has said that this is fine so long as the entire list isn't recreated).

1. Dylan Bundy, RHP, Baltimore Orioles (age 19)
Current level: High Class A (Frederick)
Preseason ranking: 11

The Orioles' bizarre, ultraconservative handling of Bundy aside, he didn't just dominate inferior competition in low Class A, he did it with the stuff and polish that could, in another organization, have had him in the big leagues this year or at the start of 2013. (The club finally promoted him to Frederick on Wednesday after he threw 30 scoreless innings for Delmarva to open the year, with 40 strikeouts and just five hits allowed.)

I don't think it's a stretch to say that a redraft of 2011's tremendous class would have Bundy on top, which would have made him the first prep right-hander to go first overall.

3. Manny Machado, SS, Baltimore Orioles (age 19)
Current level: Double-A (Bowie)
Preseason ranking: 4

He still has more offensive upside than Profar given his power potential, but it's not a lock that Machado stays at short (I like his chances to do so), whereas Profar is a no-doubt shortstop. And Machado has been gradually heating up as the season has gone on, if we slice the small sample into tiny ones.
@JeffLongBP

#114 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

The Orioles may have the two best prospects in baseball and the big league squad is 11 games over .500. Not bad, not bad at all.
@BSLLukeJackson

#115 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Would it be possible for someone with insider to post the entire list (no scouting reports), or is that against the rules?
@dandrews66

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Would it be possible for someone with insider to post the entire list (no scouting reports), or is that against the rules?

We do want to avoid posting copyrighted / premium material in its entirety. Posters may cut and paste portions to discuss, with a provided link to the source site.

If someone has insider, maybe provide some of the list, without providing everything.

#117 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

We do want to avoid posting copyrighted / premium material in its entirety. Posters may cut and paste portions to discuss, with a provided link to the source site.

If someone has insider, maybe provide some of the list, without providing everything.

Even just top 10 would be nice. I'd like to see the guys competing with Manny and Dylan for the top spots.
@dandrews66

#118 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Even just top 10 would be nice. I'd like to see the guys competing with Manny and Dylan for the top spots.

FWIW - I've spoken with Keith about this several times as I've used his work on my blog before. His analysis is really where the value is, and I highly encourage you (as would Keith) to purchase insider. The baseball content alone is worth it, but they have valuable content for all sports. Plus you can get ESPN the magazine with it (or not).

Anyway...

The Top 10:
Dylan Bundy
Jurickson Profar
Manny Machado
Travis d'Arnaud
Wil Myers
Taijuan Walker
Gerrit Cole
Trevor Bauer
Shelby Miller
Jameson Taillon
@JeffLongBP

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,148 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Excellent work Luke, really enjoyed this.

#120 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Welcome to BSL's First Annual MLB Shadow Draft!

Although we'll cover all four major sports drafts in time, we'll get started here- shadowing the upcoming 2012 MLB Draft. Here's how it works...

As most of you know, during the draft, a clock will count down live, with a team On the Clock- needing to choose a player before their allotted time is up. For many years I've personally kept track of which players I would have taken during each MLB Draft. It's very cool to be able to review how I did compared to my team's front office. One could take this a step further and do it for numerous teams, or even the entire league.

Now, there are a three options on how a poster may participate:

1> You can post who you think the TEAM will take. An example would be... The Orioles will take Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU.
2> You can post who YOU would take-- if in charge and on the clock. An example would be... I would take Carlos Correa, SS/3B, HS-Puerto Rico.
3> Both... but be clear in your post. An example would be... The Orioles will take Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU, but I would take Carlos Correa, SS/3B, HS-Puerto Rico.

Although I'm only going to monitor the first round, here is the entire draft schedule:

*This Monday- June 4th, the first- and supplemental first-round will get started (on MLB Network and streaming live on MLB.com) at 7 p.m. ET, with their Live Coverage beginning at 6 p.m ET.
*Tuesday, June 5th... Rounds 2-25 will stream online at MLB.com, starting at 10 a.m. ET.
*Wednesday, June 6th... Rounds 26-50 will stream online at MLB.com, starting at 10 a.m. ET.

To recap: Simply post here as the team you want to represent is On the Clock, using any of the three options listed above. Again, you are not limited to just one team, and can do the entire first round or even the entire draft-- if you so choose (hardcore anyone?).

Your post must be made before the selection is officially announced, or your post will not be "officially" recognized. THAT is what a Shadow Draft is all about.

You may wish to consider pre-typing most of your post as the team you're shadowing is about to go On the Clock.. as that'll allow you to type in the player's name without typing out a bunch of words with little time to do so. It helps.

Lastly, let's take other draft-related discussion elsewhere, and leave this thread uncluttered- save for the actual Shadow Draft participation this evening.

See you Monday evening. Though the draft will get started at 7pm, I'll be here no later than 6pm to answer any Shadow Draft questions you might have.

First Round
1. Houston Astros--
2. Minnesota Twins--
3. Seattle Mariners--
4. Baltimore Orioles--
5. Kansas City Royals--
6. Chicago Cubs--
7. San Diego Padres--
8. Pittsburgh Pirates--
9. Miami Marlins--
10. Colorado Rockies--
11. Oakland Athletics--