Photo

2012 MLB Draft

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

Poll: Overall, how would you grade the O's draft? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Overall, how would you grade the O's draft?

1. B (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Marc Hulet over at Fangraphs has grades for every team’s draft picks since 2008 and the Orioles are the only team he has given a grade of “A” to.

You can see his comments below as well as who he thinks the Orioles will take in the 2012 draft.

Baltimore Orioles
2008: Brian Matusz, LHP, College
2009: Matt Hobgood, RHP, Prep
2010: Manny Machado, SS, Prep
2011: Dylan Bundy, RHP, Prep
Grade: A

The club has made some pretty impressive first-round picks if you toss out Hobgood, which was a brutal decision right from the get-go. Picking fourth in 2012, the Orioles are going to get a very nice player one way or the other. If it’s Puerto Rican shortstop Carlos Correa then they could arguably say that they got the best player in the draft two years running.

*If you would like to read the entire article and see the grades he gives to the other A.L. East teams, you can do that here: http://www.fangraphs...t-trends-notes/
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#122 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm going to try to do mine as the O's are on the clock, at least for the first few rounds. Signability will be a factor (No Giolito in the 2nd if he drops, for example)
@bbhrusty

#123 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

For what it's worth. My top 10 picks for today's draft.

Appel, Buxton, Correa, Gausman, Fried, Zunino, Almora, Dahl, Zimmer, Hawkins.
@bbhrusty

#124 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Much obliged. I gotta work a couple hours, but I should be home by 230-3 and I'll be around to give my full attention tonight, so unlike some foxholes we know, we should have some good knowledgeable draft talk during the entire thing.

See you then... for those who would like a link to the new discussion thread, here it is> viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1427

#125 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Are you just going to edit the 1-31 picks as you go to add players? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Might be faster that way, and hopefully we can just get through 1-31 before we talk about picks since they will be pretty rapid fire.
@JeremyMStrain

#126 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Are you just going to edit the 1-31 picks as you go to add players? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Might be faster that way, and hopefully we can just get through 1-31 before we talk about picks since they will be pretty rapid fire.

I'm going to announce who is on the clock for only Round One, and then I'll announce when the pick is made. Therefore all posts in between my announcement of who is on the clock, and who was then picked will be recognized as being proper shadow picks. I'll edit and update the OP as well with the actual picks.

An example:

"At overall pick number one, the Astros are officially On the Clock!" (Lets say it's posted at 7:05pm EST)

"At overall pick number one, the Astros select Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford" (Let's say it's posted at 7:08pm EST)

I will be watching live on MLB.com, so that is the source of when I'll make each announcement. I'll do my best to be well-prepared in advance.

#127 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I got you, that way you can regulate picks that actually make the cutoffs, word.
@JeremyMStrain

#128 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Try to get on Facebook and Twitter everyone, and promote tonight's Shadow Draft Event. Thanks. Should be fun, and maybe we'll pick up and extra poster or two.

#129 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I've done two mocks so far, one 1st round and a 3 round Orioles one.

I'm going to do a 10 round shadow draft, taking players live from the pool available for the Orioles at each pick. I did this the last few years on my former site but might as well do it here this year.
Comments/feedback appreciated.

Couple of rules:
$ matters. I will take signability into consideration (no Gio in the 2nd, no elite HS players past where they will sign.
Position/needs matter. I'm drafting for the best pick for the Orioles, not the best player on the board.
I'm looking to improve the Orioles, not just wind up with the best players in the draft class. I'm not taking 4 catchers, 6 1b ect.
@bbhrusty

#130 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

I've done two mocks so far, one 1st round and a 3 round Orioles one.

I'm going to do a 10 round shadow draft, taking players live from the pool available for the Orioles at each pick. I did this the last few years on my former site but might as well do it here this year.
Comments/feedback appreciated.

Couple of rules:
$ matters. I will take signability into consideration (no Gio in the 2nd, no elite HS players past where they will sign.
Position/needs matter. I'm drafting for the best pick for the Orioles, not the best player on the board.
I'm looking to improve the Orioles, not just wind up with the best players in the draft class. I'm not taking 4 catchers, 6 1b ect.

No offense but that's not a good way to do a shadow draft if you are drafting for ML need. I mean you can do it whatever way you want of course, but it's not a good habit to draft to fill holes with players you won't have for 2-4 years.
@JeremyMStrain

#131 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Wait until you see my announcement to post your pick(s).

#132 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

There is a difference between drafting for need and considering team needs in drafts.

I will never up-jump a player into a higher round because of positional need, but at the same time you need to consider it when building a farm system.

I talked about this with the Royals earlier today. There is a lot of speculation that KC is in on Zunino if he is there in the 1st round for them. I have a hard time seeing that happening. With Perez just locked up long term, and the Royals taking a C with their 2nd round pick last year they would have to consider Zunino to be far above the other available options in order to use another high pick on catcher. Yes, any of the three might bust out, or move out of the position, but you still need to consider best case scenario.

In my case it means I won't, for example, take H.S RHP with my first five picks, even if they are the best player I have listed, because it is an unrealistic way to build a farm system.
@bbhrusty

#133 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

1. Houston Astros— are officially On the Clock!

#134 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Just think that's misreading what the BPA approach is. They don't LITTERALLY take 6 straight HS RHP if they are the highest rated, but no one has the same BPA list either.
@JeremyMStrain

#135 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

1. Houston Astros— are officially On the Clock!

With the 1st pick in the 2012 draft, I'd select Kevin Gausman for the Astros.

#136 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

HOU - Buxton

Have a ways to go in the rebuild.
@JeremyMStrain

#137 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

HOU - Buxton

Have a ways to go in the rebuild.

Appel - start the rebuild with the local kid.
@JeffLongBP

#138 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

No team takes players based purely on BPA. There are a hundred other factors (including money, risks, organization philosophy, needs), otherwise teams would just submit their top 1000 players and MLB could autodraft it.
@bbhrusty

#139 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Be sure to note if you are saying you think they should take Player X or whether you think they will take Player X.

#140 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Be sure to note if you are saying you think they should take Player X or whether you think they will take Player X.

Shadow draft is you taking who would take if you were them isn't it?
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=