#341 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Seems like despite having a crazy Mom she is really grounded, polite, and sportsmanlike (is that a word?). Very happy for her to have had such a good Olympics.

Those crazy sports parents. :o
@levineps

#342 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

ESPN: Spain beats France
http://espn.go.com/o...ball-semifinals

ESPN: Russia beats Lithuania
http://espn.go.com/o... ... semifinals

#343 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, I only caught the last few minutes of the USA/China match, apparently both were good ones.

You just gotta love an all-USA gold medal match, regardless what sport it is.

Split loyalties?

I think it's cool the winner will be American, but who do I root for?
@levineps

#344 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

I got mixed feelings on all this. I thought the Dream Team was great, but no other team can really compare. I mean when you have MJ, Bird, and Magic on the same floor, everything else pales in comparison.

I'll be interested to see, many years from now, how the trio of Kobe, Lebron, and Durant together is looked at. Kobe is a 5 time champion now, and while I don't personally think he'll add anymore to that, you never know. He's already scored the 5th most points in NBA history. Lebron has 1 championship now and I'd be shocked if he isn't able to add 3 or 4 more by the time it's all said and done. Also a 3 time MVP. Durant obviously needs to accomplish much more, but I really believe the potential is there to be one of the greats. We'll see.

Not saying you can even begin to compare those 3 to MJ, Bird, and Magic..but 20 years from now, I think it could be an interesting discussion.

@AdamWolff

#345 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'll be interested to see, many years from now, how the trio of Kobe, Lebron, and Durant together is looked at. Kobe is a 5 time champion now, and while I don't personally think he'll add anymore to that, you never know. He's already scored the 5th most points in NBA history. Lebron has 1 championship now and I'd be shocked if he isn't able to add 3 or 4 more by the time it's all said and done. Also a 3 time MVP. Durant obviously needs to accomplish much more, but I really believe the potential is there to be one of the greats. We'll see.

Not saying you can even begin to compare those 3 to MJ, Bird, and Magic..but 20 years from now, I think it could be an interesting discussion.

I'm not even a big NBA fan but I very much enjoyed watching documentary on the Dream Team. Other than OJ's defense team, I can't really think of another dream team. Obviously you didn't get those three together at the optimal time, probably would've been a few years earlier, but still pretty amazing.

Should be interesting to see how many more championships LeBron wins and what Durant and OKC do.
@levineps

#346 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

That May/Walsh match against the Chinese was fantastic. Kerri Walsh made one of the most unbelievable plays I've ever seen in any sport, hitting a ball and then actually rolling under the net. How she got that ball to go in I'll never know.

#347 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

That May/Walsh match against the Chinese was fantastic. Kerri Walsh made one of the most unbelievable plays I've ever seen in any sport, hitting a ball and then actually rolling under the net. How she got that ball to go in I'll never know.

Yea, that was amazing...Especially since she bumped it sideways too.

Brazil comes back to win the bronze after China had them beaten.

#348 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, those 3 could easily all go down as top 10 players.

Oh, and people who want to do these comparisons should realize that Bird was a shadow of his former self and Magic was still very good, but past his prime and coming off a year away from the league. To me, there's hardly any point of even mentioning Bird when comparing the Dream Team to this team or any other one.

#349 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Argentina tops Brazil 82-77, will face US in Semi's
http://espn.go.com/o...-set-rematch-us

#350 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

It's not live, but the gold medal match is on right now.

Currently 13-12 USA. :mrgreen:

#351 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Misty and Kari win the first set 21-16.

#352 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

After 8/8/12:

1. USA (34 G, 22 S, 25 B)
2. China (36 G, 22 S 19 B)
3. Russia (11 G, 19 S, 22 B)

http://www.nbcolympi...dals/index.html

#353 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

May/Walsh win the second set and the gold medal 21-16. 3 gold medals.

Never lost a match in 3 Olympics. That is absolutely incredible.

#354 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Bolt is an amazing athlete that has run some sick times but I'm not a fan of him. Too arrogant and too many theatrics for my taste.

#355 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

Also highly skeptical that he's clean

#356 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Absolutely love Usain Bolt.

I do not know him personally, so maybe he really is a very arrogant person. But I have never got that impression.

Confident? A showman? No question. But he doesn't strike me as a bad guy.

BTW, here's a quick little anecdote - he halted an interview for the playing of the US National Anthem.

The Jamaican sprinter was talking to a Spanish journalist after winning the semi-final in London on Monday. At the same time US athlete Sanya Richards-Ross was being awarded her first Olympic gold medal for winning the 400m.

As soon as the opening bars of the anthem began Bolt politely asked "can we cut the interview?" At first the reporter seemed confused but when Bolt gestured toward the medal presentation she quickly said "oh yes ... sorry, sorry".

Bolt then turned and watched in silence as the anthem played for Richards-Ross. As soon as the song finished he turned around and finished the interview.

• BSLChrisStoner and Chris B like this

#357 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Bolt is an amazing athlete that has run some sick times but I'm not a fan of him. Too arrogant and too many theatrics for my taste.

I agree that he's confident in his abilities and a showman, but I don't know if arrogant is the right word. I've always thought that while he thinks / knows that he's the best sprinter on the planet, he's very complimentary of other runners in interviews.

I also really liked that he cut-off an on-track interview right in the middle a couple days ago because a medal ceremony was going on at the same time and he didn't want to speak during the anthem. Wasn't even his own country's anthem (was U.S.' ). That was classy.

Edit: I'm the best in the world at reading posts before mine and not repeating exactly what they say. Now that's arrogant! And obviously wrong.

#358 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, those 3 could easily all go down as top 10 players.

Oh, and people who want to do these comparisons should realize that Bird was a shadow of his former self and Magic was still very good, but past his prime and coming off a year away from the league. To me, there's hardly any point of even mentioning Bird when comparing the Dream Team to this team or any other one.

I think the point was more having them all on the same court. It's not like any of the games were exactly close at any point though despite those two diminished skills. Regardless of how good this squad is, I think it's hard to replicate a concept like the "Dream Team."
@levineps

#359 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Gold medal match now underway from Wembley.

#360 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Australian goalie, with her team leading 11-10 in the last moment of the bronze medal game, was attacked by two Hungarians after she dawdled with the ball, leading to a backhanded shot that landed at the front of the goal and went in with 0:00 thanks to the wake generated by the players. Game goes to OT. What a blunder!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=