Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

So Alex Morgan is kind of good at this soccer thing? :D

I'll admit I know little about soccer but where does this moment rank up there in US soccer history?
@levineps

#322 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

So Alex Morgan is kind of good at this soccer thing? :D

I'll admit I know little about soccer but where does this moment rank up there in US soccer history?

Yeah, I dunno, but it was awesome. Abby Wambach had a very cool goal a year or two ago (world cup maybe?), late in a game that was also very cool. Just can't remember what the circumstances were.

I don't know much about soccer at all, I actually thought the extra period would be sudden death, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game. The women's team is thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

@AdamWolff

#323 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I dunno, but it was awesome. Abby Wambach had a very cool goal a year or two ago (world cup maybe?), late in a game that was also very cool. Just can't remember what the circumstances were.

I don't know much about soccer at all, I actually thought the extra period would be sudden death, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game. The women's team is thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

The Wambach goal was in injury time at the end of extra time, like today, but tied the game to keep the women alive.

And yes, Morgan is pretty good. Or at least both of those individually.

#324 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

The Wambach goal was in injury time at the end of extra time, like today, but tied the game to keep the women alive.

And yes, Morgan is pretty good. Or at least both of those individually.

The game against Brazil
@levineps

#325 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Anyone else think Spain kind of threw the game in the 4th yesterday vs. Brazil? Keeps Spain from having to face the US before the Final.

Think you can also make the argument that Argentina did not do everything they could to win yesterday.

#326 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Anyone else think Spain kind of threw the game in the 4th yesterday vs. Brazil? Keeps Spain from having to face the US before the Final.

Think you can also make the argument that Argentina did not do everything they could to win yesterday.

Did these teams take a page from badminton?
@levineps

#327 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

This is a little late, but here are some random 2012 Olympics stories that I discovered on Yahoo:

Seven Cameroonians athletes disappear; likely staying in Europe to find jobs: http://sports.yahoo.... ... --oly.html

German diver fails: http://www.nbcolympi... ... -back.html

Gold-medal swimmer admits he cheated (extra strokes underwater): http://sports.yahoo.... ... --oly.html

#328 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

In the semifinal, May/Walsh took on China earlier today. Won the first set 22-20 and the second set 22-20.

They will take on fellow Americans Ross & Kessy for the gold medal tomorrow at 3 PM EST.

#329 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

In the semifinal, May/Walsh took on China earlier today. Won the first set 22-20 and the second set 22-20.

They will take on fellow Americans Ross & Kessy for the gold medal tomorrow at 3 PM EST.

Just saw parts of the May/Walsh match, good for them.

Saw some of Ross & Kessy's match with Brazil, didn't realize they had come back to win. Pretty cool.

#330 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Just saw parts of the May/Walsh match, good for them.

Saw some of Ross & Kessy's match with Brazil, didn't realize they had come back to win. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I only caught the last few minutes of the USA/China match, apparently both were good ones.

You just gotta love an all-USA gold medal match, regardless what sport it is.

#331 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Been a while since I updated this...

1. China 73 (34 G, 21 S, 18 B)
2. USA 70 (30 G 19 S 21 B)
3. Great Britain 48 (22 G 13 S 13 B)
Russia 48 (10 G, 18 S, 20 B)

http://www.nbcolympi...dals/index.html
  • Don Quixote likes this

#332 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Aly Raisman won gold in women's individual floor.

#333 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

They should put piranhas and sharks in the pool.

Put glass and tacks on the mats for floor exercise.

There is one simple thing that would make any number of Olympic sports more exciting: Defense.

#334 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Team USA advanced to the gold medal game (forgot who they'll face) with an 11-9 overtime win over Australia. The OT wouldn't've been necessary if Krikorian (the coach) had left well enough alone with :01 left and not called time out! He definitely would have been hearing it if they ended up losing, I'm sure.

#335 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

That was a great match.

#336 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yahoo: Quarterfinal Preview
http://sports.yahoo....07467--oly.html

Russia vs. Lithuania
France vs. Spain
Brazil vs. Argentina
Australia vs. USA

#337 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Anyone else thinks the US has more to lose in the Olympics than to gain? If they win, it's like they should (to me). But if they lose, it's like "how did this happen" and embarasssing .
@levineps

#338 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Anyone else thinks the US has more to lose in the Olympics than to gain? If they win, it's like they should (to me). But if they lose, it's like "how did this happen" and embarasssing .

Of course, but they should still be there. The Olympics should be about the best athletes and teams in the world competing.

Interesting piece from Yahoo, about Russia and Lithuania blasting Stern for his comments (NBA Owners desire), to have this be the last Olympics with pros.

Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo....ule-change.html

#339 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Aly Raisman won gold in women's individual floor.

Seems like despite having a crazy Mom she is really grounded, polite, and sportsmanlike (is that a word?). Very happy for her to have had such a good Olympics.

#340 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Of course, but they should still be there. The Olympics should be about the best athletes and teams in the world competing.

Interesting piece from Yahoo, about Russia and Lithuania blasting Stern for his comments (NBA Owners desire), to have this be the last Olympics with pros.

Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo....ule-change.html

I got mixed feelings on all this. I thought the Dream Team was great, but no other team can really compare. I mean when you have MJ, Bird, and Magic on the same floor, everything else pales in comparison.

This all started of course because other teams were beating our college players. If I'm an owner, I'm definitely concerned about the potential injury to one of my star players. I'd like them to go back amateurs, but the purity of the Olympics is largely gone with all the endorsement deals even in the sports they are still amateurs. I'm not so in favor of the U-23, I think you either have pros or you don't.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=