#301 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

Anyone know what happened to Rogers and Dalhauser? After Gibbs and Rosenthal won today, NBC showed a bracket of the quarterfinals and the first pair wasn't there.

Did they lose??

Apparently, Rogers had a hammy injury that really restricted him and Dalhauser wore down because he had to do a lot more because Rogers was hurt.

#302 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's hard for these guys to escape what they've learned in years of NBA play: Go through the motions until the last 3 minutes or so.

Of course that's an incorrect NBA stereotype so there's that.

#303 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

In the 4×100 medley relay, the USA won gold by 2 seconds.

Michael Phelps swam the fly stint in probably his last Olympic race.

#304 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Serena Williams beat Maria Sharapova to win gold for the USA.

#305 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

USA womens also so won the 4×100 medley relay today.

#306 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

I think we can end the 2012 vs. 1992 debate now, the latter team just dominated. Sure, the competition is better now. But there will never be a team quite like that IMO.
@levineps

#307 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

Wonder if Phelps will keep his word and stay retired?
@levineps

#308 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

Found his groove the last 4 races winning all golds.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets the itch in about 2 years again. He''s such a competitor that I'll always think somewhere in the back of my mind that he's not done. I think he's def going to stay retired for the next few years but it wouldn't surprise me if he finds that hunger again in a few years. My guess is he might come back with even a shorter program. Maybe just the butterflys and a few relays. I actually think the success he ultimately had here in the last 4 races helps ease his mind. If the bad run had continued like it looked it might after the first 3 races I think that would have made him more hungry, made him that much more competitive and I would have bet heavily on him coming back. Now, I think it's 50/50. 20 golds would be insane.

#309 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think we can end the 2012 vs. 1992 debate now, the latter team just dominated. Sure, the competition is better now. But there will never be a team quite like that IMO.

I mean it's just not that simple. I'm on record that the 1992 team would beat the 2012 team 7 out of 10 times -- I could probably get talked down to 6, but you can't just say "the 2012 team couldn't beat the 1992 team" and leave it at that.

For example, if 2012 plays like they did the other day against Nigeria, they would likely have beaten 1992 and soundly.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#310 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I mean it's just not that simple. I'm on record that the 1992 team would beat the 2012 team 7 out of 10 times -- I could probably get talked down to 6, but you can't just say "the 2012 team couldn't beat the 1992 team" and leave it at that.

For example, if 2012 plays like they did the other day against Nigeria, they would likely have beaten 1992 and soundly.

The 1992 team wouldn't have allowed them to play the way they did the other day.

#311 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

The 1992 team wouldn't have allowed them to play the way they did the other day.

They shot 71% from the floor and made an ungodly amount of 3s. When they're shooting that well nobody can beat them, that's just basketball.

@bopper33

#312 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

They shot 71% from the floor and made an ungodly amount of 3s. When they're shooting that well nobody can beat them, that's just basketball.

And poor defense had nothing to do with that, right?

If you think a team with Jordan and Pippen and rim protectors like Robinson and Ewing would allow a team to go off like that, you are crazy.

Plus, a Daly coached defense on top of all of that? Zero chance.

#313 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

And poor defense had nothing to do with that, right?

If you think a team with Jordan and Pippen and rim protectors like Robinson and Ewing would allow a team to go off like that, you are crazy.

Plus, a Daly coached defense on top of all of that? Zero chance.

I'm not suggesting that they would have shot that well or scored that many points but how much do you want to take away from them? In that Nigeria game they were absolutely unconscious from the floor and, no matter how good your defense is, a lot of those buckets are going in -- particularly the jumpers.

That's pretty much what it would take for 2012 to beat 1992 and that's what happened the other day.

@bopper33

#314 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm not suggesting that they would have shot that well or scored that many points but how much do you want to take away from them? In that Nigeria game they were absolutely unconscious from the floor and, no matter how good your defense is, a lot of those buckets are going in -- particularly the jumpers.

That's pretty much what it would take for 2012 to beat 1992 and that's what happened the other day.

Pace of play, rebounding, defense, transition def, etc....anyone can shoot well with no real competition.

Zero chance they come close to that type of performance against the real dream team.

#315 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Found his groove the last 4 races winning all golds.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets the itch in about 2 years again. He''s such a competitor that I'll always think somewhere in the back of my mind that he's not done. I think he's def going to stay retired for the next few years but it wouldn't surprise me if he finds that hunger again in a few years. My guess is he might come back with even a shorter program. Maybe just the butterflys and a few relays. I actually think the success he ultimately had here in the last 4 races helps ease his mind. If the bad run had continued like it looked it might after the first 3 races I think that would have made him more hungry, made him that much more competitive and I would have bet heavily on him coming back. Now, I think it's 50/50. 20 golds would be insane.

Hardly any of these comebacks seem to end well. Very few athletes it seems can go out on top.
@levineps

#316 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

I have a great question about competitive swimming vs. competitive running:

Why is it that it's perfectly acceptable that there are 4 primary types of swimming events (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly), but in running you only run forwards?!

If they can have a backstroke, why not have backwards running? Or maybe this:

IqhlQfXUk7w

And the opposite is true too...

If we can have running races in which there are obstacles in the way (hurdles, steeplechase), why not have swimming races that are that way too? You could force the swimmers to go through hoops beneath the water, or swim around walls.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#317 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

They should put piranhas and sharks in the pool.

Put glass and tacks on the mats for floor exercise.

#318 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

They should put piranhas and sharks in the pool.

Put glass and tacks on the mats for floor exercise.

Sounds like Austin Powers meets the Olympics
@levineps

#319 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Dude is just an electrifying performer. The NY times has an awesome animation that puts the recent race in historical perspective-

http://www.nytimes.c... ... html?hp
  • BSLChrisStoner and Don Quixote like this

#320 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Dude is just an electrifying performer. The NY times has an awesome animation that puts the recent race in historical perspective-

http://www.nytimes.c... ... html?hp

That was great, thanks for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=