#381 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

....is a travesty.

Its place is on prime-time TV right after Dancing with the Stars and American Idol, not in the Olympics. Kill it and rhythmic gymnastics. If there are sparkles and you are judged on your sparkles, it's not sports.

--Don't add any X-Games trick events. Those are exhibitions. ESPN doesn't get to make up sports.
--No more martial arts varieties. If you add karate, you gotta get rid of judo or taekwondo.
--Bring back baseball and softball. Add rugby, cricket. Team sports are the best olympic sports.
--Add bowling and darts, maybe billiards. Inexpensive venues; events that normal people can play.
--Bring back the concept of exhibition sports; London could have darts, cricket or highland games stuff like the caber toss. Rio would add something popular there (beach soccer?)

#382 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think Bolt is a good dude. He's a little goofy and has some swagger for sure, but isn't that about par for the course with athletes that are dominant in their sport? In the 200m last night, he had me laughing on a few occasions. I think he's entertaining as hell before, during, and after the race.

@AdamWolff

#383 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm sure his Carl Lewis comments will piss some people off, but I don't think he was out of line with what he said given the things Lewis apparently has said about the Jamaicans and being suspicious of them doping without any evidence.

#384 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would like to see X-games style stuff added. The trick stuff I can take or leave, but they do some cool racing stuff that I'd love to see. Not motocross, but BMX bike races would be awesome. A downhill rollerblade street race would be awesome in the Olympics, IMO.

I agree about baseball and softball. I don't watch rugby or cricket, but I'd be interested if they were in as well.

#385 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

May/Walsh win the second set and the gold medal 21-16. 3 gold medals.

Never lost a match in 3 Olympics. That is absolutely incredible.

And this year was the first time they lost a set, right?

Ridiculous domination. I know that everyone knows them, which is saying something given the lack of overall popularity of the sport, but I think they're still underrated.

@AdamWolff

#386 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would like to see X-games style stuff added. The trick stuff I can take or leave, but they do some cool racing stuff that I'd love to see. Not motocross, but BMX bike races would be awesome. A downhill rollerblade street race would be awesome in the Olympics, IMO.

I agree about baseball and softball. I don't watch rugby or cricket, but I'd be interested if they were in as well.

They do have BMX bike racing now, which I actually just learned last night. Pretty entertaining stuff.

@AdamWolff

#387 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

They do have BMX bike racing now, which I actually just learned last night. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Really? Are you talking about the track cycling? On the indoor track with the inclined slope? I knew that was in, and think it's very cool. Just wish they raced and jockeyed for position the whole time rather than followed that "pace car" for all but the last 3-4 laps.

#388 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

....is a travesty.

Its place is on prime-time TV right after Dancing with the Stars and American Idol, not in the Olympics. Kill it and rhythmic gymnastics. If there are sparkles and you are judged on your sparkles, it's not sports.

--Don't add any X-Games trick events. Those are exhibitions. ESPN doesn't get to make up sports.
--No more martial arts varieties. If you add karate, you gotta get rid of judo or taekwondo.
--Bring back baseball and softball. Add rugby, cricket. Team sports are the best olympic sports.
--Add bowling and darts, maybe billiards. Inexpensive venues; events that normal people can play.
--Bring back the concept of exhibition sports; London could have darts, cricket or highland games stuff like the caber toss. Rio would add something popular there (beach soccer?)

Beach soccer, now were talking. What should they add in Russia in 2014?
@levineps

#389 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Really? Are you talking about the track cycling? On the indoor track with the inclined slope? I knew that was in, and think it's very cool. Just wish they raced and jockeyed for position the whole time rather than followed that "pace car" for all but the last 3-4 laps.

Here's a video of what I was watching. It's a poor example because every person crashes except 1, but it's also entertaining in the fact that everyone crashes except 1 ;)

m2RzctYsBo4

@AdamWolff

#390 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here's a video of what I was watching. It's a poor example because every person crashes except 1, but it's also entertaining in the fact that everyone crashes except 1 ;)

m2RzctYsBo4

This is like the short-track speed skating in the Winter Games. It's mostly about surviving the inevitable crash.

#391 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Sweet, I hadn't seen that.

I'd love to see a BMX style downhill race, either on road or on dirt.

#392 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

This is like the short-track speed skating in the Winter Games. It's mostly about surviving the inevitable crash.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird/unique race. They showed a handful of the quarter final heats last night and I believe only one ended without a crash.

@AdamWolff

#393 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Beach soccer, now were talking. What should they add in Russia in 2014?

How about this little slice of insanity?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2dvOHaciEnU

#394 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sweet, I hadn't seen that.

I'd love to see a BMX style downhill race, either on road or on dirt.

There is also a mountain bike race in the Olympics. One for women, one for men. I think they are either today or Saturday.

#395 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

How about this little slice of insanity?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2dvOHaciEnU

That. Is. Awesome.

@AdamWolff

#396 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

That. Is. Awesome.

Love it, let's push the envelope and make it the steeplechase of the Winter Olympics and add more barriers.
@levineps

#397 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

And this year was the first time they lost a set, right?

Ridiculous domination. I know that everyone knows them, which is saying something given the lack of overall popularity of the sport, but I think they're still underrated.

That really is an amazing stat about losing a set for the first time this year, reminds me of those years where UConn women just dominates that landscape. I'm a fan of competition, but I can appreciate domination.
@levineps

#398 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Edit: I'm the best in the world at reading posts before mine and not repeating exactly what they say. Now that's arrogant! And obviously wrong.

If there were a medal for it, you'd take the gold! Haha - no worries, obviously. :)

I'm just amazed by Bolt. Makes it look so easy.

That infographic was pretty interesting, and actually, I have to say I'm pretty impressed at those times from the first Olympics. I would have thought that more of an improvement would have been made over the initial winning time.

I have often wondered what the absolute human limit it. I think we are close to approaching it in track. I think you'll still some some improvements in the swim events as technology continues to advance. But there's only so much more that can be done in track. I love those records that are decades old.

I think Bolt's 100M record will stand for some time. But then I thought Michael Johnson's 200M record would as well.

#399 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

I never watched them before... I watched them this time... and I'm glad they won. They certainly are great at what they do. I think Misty is the World's Fastest Human when it comes to diving in the sand, then getting up and getting to wherever she needs to be next...

I also am relieved that I won't have to watch Misty and Kerri again. It seemed like they were on half the time. I never got burnt out on a sport, or on a pair of athletes so fast in my life.

Nothing against them... rather, it was NBC cramming them down my throat again and again and again. Misty and Kerri... Misty and Kerri... Misty and Kerri... Misty and Kerri... three words that kinda blurred into one long word. I am completely over wanting to hear about them...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#400 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

US beats Argentina 109-83, advance to Finals
http://espn.go.com/b...09-argentina-83

5 point game in the 3rd, before the US pulled away.

Spain beats Russia 67-59
http://scores.espn.g...cap?gameId=1167

Spain was down 11 at the half.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

Our Sponsors

width=