• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#401 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

The Women's 4x100 was awesome, US dominated Jamaica, set new WR.

#402 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

I dislike Carmelo as an NBA player, but he's great in the Olympics.

#403 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

US up 2 with 6 mts left in the half.

#404 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Marc Gasol picks up 4th foul with 5mts left in half.

#405 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Marc Gasol picks up 4th foul with 5mts left in half.

As Doug Collins was saying, why would he be in the game then? Especially with a very capable Ibaka on the bench who could play alongside Pau, it just makes no sense. Was a 2 point game when he got the foul..just a poor job coaching there.

Should be a good 2nd half though, Spain is a very talented team.

@AdamWolff

#406 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

1 point game to start the 4th. US up 6 with 8+ remaining.

#407 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Closer game than you hope for, but all that matters is they won the gold! Congrats to all those guys.

#408 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

I think Bolt's 100M record will stand for some time. But then I thought Michael Johnson's 200M record would as well.

I thought the 200 would last a bit longer too, but so much for that. Now Johnsons 400m record is another story...

#409 lordbrook

lordbrook
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

That game was so ugly. There is no team concept with these guys anymore. I have no idea why they think that a good offense consists of 4 guys standing around and waiting for the one with the ball to shoot. I don't think there would be a chance in hell of this team even competing with the Dream Team. I thought that they played well as a team defensively, but I loathe watching one player hold the ball, make a move and shoot. I'm glad they won the gold, but there is a reason that the game was so close, and it has everything to do with individuals thinking they are bigger than the team.

#410 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

it has everything to do with individuals thinking they are bigger than the team.

I think this is a pretty generic complaint that is more based on popular (possibly incorrect) thought than actual analysis.

I watched a decent amount of their games and I didn't see a group of individuals that didn't care about the team. I saw some guys that aren't used to playing as a team and that settled for outside shots a bit too easily. It didn't seem like watching an All-Star Game to me, though, but I don't watch a whole lot of pro basketball so I'm not the best analyst.

#411 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Don't worry, nobody plays defense in the NBA either and all the players carry guns.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#412 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

The Women's 4x100 was awesome, US dominated Jamaica, set new WR.

Yeah the women ran great in that race and the WR was just icing! Nice to see Allison Felix finally take the gold in the 200. Apparently that's the first womens gold in the 200 since 92, that was a bit surprising to me.

Jamaica dominated the 100 and the 200 on the mens side. Amazing that such a small country cranks out so many elite sprinters.

Local runner Matt Centrowitz took 4th in the 1500 just missing out on a medal. He got boxed in a bit throughout the race so he was fortunate to take 4th. He's only 23 so you will be hearing his name alot more in the next couple of years. Leo Manzano did take the silver in the 15 so the U.S. wasn't completely shut out in that race.

I also mentioned in an earlier post that Galen Rupp had a chance to get a medal in the 10k and he came up with the Silver just missing out on the Gold to his training partner Mo Farah (Great Britain) I didn't get to see this race as I was driving to the beach that day, but Rupp apparently ran a fantastic race. Awesome that he got Silver, this is a big deal for U.S. distance runners.

One other name to mention is David Rudisha who won the men's 800 meters in a World Record time of 1:40.91!!! That time is smoking!!

#413 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Did anyone watch? What'd you think of them?

#414 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Did anyone watch? What'd you think of them?

Watched some of it. Enjoyed some of the music (1/2 Oasis)... I thought overall that was just tough to watch. The idea of 'closing ceremonies' just seems odd to me. The athletic events are done, don't see the need for it.

Would be like playing the Super Bowl, and filling a stadium back-up to have an odd spectacle with people wearing ridiculous costumes.

Also didn't think there was a lot of need to preview Rio. Somehow I'm sure the world will be aware that there will be another Summer Olympics 4 years from now.

Maybe that is just me though.

#415 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

London 2012 was probably the most Olympics I've ever watched. To go along with that, I created a list of my 5 most memorable moments:

1. Michael Phelps. Despite a (somewhat) rocky start, Phelps had a great London Olympics. Amidst challenges from fellow American Ryan Lochte, Phelps was able to break the record of total Olympic medals with a final total of 22, with 18 golds, 2 silvers, and 2 bronzes.

2. The Fab Five. They were the darlings of this year's Olympics and they did not disappoint. Gabby Douglas won the all-around and all five helped to get the USA its first Olympic Gold in women's team gymnastics since 1996.

3. May/Walsh. A beach volleyball tandem that is talked about a lot, but probably not enough given their complete Olympic dominance over the past 3 Summer Olympics. Its truly amazing they never lost a match in Olympic play and hadn't even lost a set until this year.

4. Usain Bolt. He was the name from the Beijing Olympics. But this year, many people questioned his ability to perform in London because of poor qualifiers. He wasn't even the best in his own country (Yohan Blake). But Bolt proved them wrong and won three gold medals (including 1 world record) in the process.

5. McKayla Maroney's vault. I know I've already talked about the Fab Five, but that vault that she did during the team gymnastics competition was unbelievable. Almost a perfect vault and it is the best one that I've ever seen.

So, what are your lasting memories of this year's Olympic Games in London?

#416 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

I heard Beady Eye played, wish I would've seen that but doesn't sound like I missed much else.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds would've been cool but I guess they couldn't have both brothers playing. Might as well reform Oasis at that point.

#417 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

I heard Beady Eye played, wish I would've seen that but doesn't sound like I missed much else.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds would've been cool but I guess they couldn't have both brothers playing. Might as well reform Oasis at that point.

I'm sure there was a conversation to try to get them to play as Oasis, but you sound like you know enough to know how stubborn the brothers Gallagher are. With as many times as the two of them have fought, broken up, and gotten back together, I'm sure we haven't seen our last Oasis concert. Closing ceremonies would have been a very cool time for a one off performance, though.

@AdamWolff

#418 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'm sure there was a conversation to try to get them to play as Oasis, but you sound like you know enough to know how stubborn the brothers Gallagher are. With as many times as the two of them have fought, broken up, and gotten back together, I'm sure we haven't seen our last Oasis concert. Closing ceremonies would have been a very cool time for a one off performance, though.

The opening ceremony had the Arctic Monkeys covering "I am the Walrus", a cover staple at Oasis shows. I'm sure they had approached the Gallaghers for that too.

When Beady Eye broke out Wonderwall, I was hoping that Noel was going to jump on-stage and pick a fight with Liam. How exciting would that have been?!

#419 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Watched some of it. Enjoyed some of the music (1/2 Oasis)... I thought overall that was just tough to watch. The idea of 'closing ceremonies' just seems odd to me. The athletic events are done, don't see the need for it.

Would be like playing the Super Bowl, and filling a stadium back-up to have an odd spectacle with people wearing ridiculous costumes.

Also didn't think there was a lot of need to preview Rio. Somehow I'm sure the world will be aware that there will be another Summer Olympics 4 years from now.

Maybe that is just me though.

I think it's fine, has entertainment value and is a good way to close with a bang. One of those don't like it, don't watch it type deals -- there's plenty of other things going on in the world. Judging from my Twitter feed, a lot of people were watching it. Maybe this had something to do with the fact the Orioles played earlier that day -- since I noticed much of the people I was following had chosen the O's over the Olympics for this two week stretch.

It's funny you made the Super Bowl reference since one of the comments that stuck with me from my Twitter feed stated this is what the Halftime Show would look like if it was in England.

The preview thing I'm pretty sure they've done at every Olympics. Obviously, it's not as relevant now with the Internet since anyone can do a google search. It's more symbolism than anything else.

I thought the Spice Girls reunion was cool too. And did anyone else notice, how they've played "Imagine" at nearly every Opening or Closing Ceremony? I know it has more relevance for England b/c of Lennon, but still. I do find the "no countries" part a bit ironic, even the Olympics is sports diplomacy, it would be hard to do without nations.

I gotta say, I like the idea of the Olympics more than the actual games. I like that this something that brings the world together and it happens to be through sports. The games itself -- do I care about badminton or fencing (and many other sports), not really.
@levineps

#420 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'll admit I didn't watch the Olympics as much as many of you and don't care for many of the sports as much, so don't take mine so seriously. Mine is one I didn't even see live --- the Alex Morgan goal, no secret I'm a huge Alex Morgan fan to begin with. But that was a quite a moment. Of course, it's mangnafied by the fact they beat Japan, the same way beating Russia in 1980 was b/c they got the gold (in the game after).

I enjoyed watching Phelps, Missy Franklin, Gabby Douglass. I questioned Phelps for coming back, but in the end he proved me wrong and it was great to see. I'll be interested to see if Missy continues to turn down the endorsements.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=