#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

He should have a spot secured going in and that's even if they add someone.

Gonzo, Hammell, Tillman, and Chen have spots imo. Bundy will factor in at some point, but there's no need to rush him.

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Gonzo was unreal. That splitter/change is just straight up filthy. I'm excited about him next year. Great story, and he's got ice water in his veins.

Can he hit?

#63 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Check out the huge props that ESPN gave Gonzalez in their game summary:

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=321010110

The Orioles won Game 2 and rode Miguel Gonzalez's pretty performance to a 2-1 lead in the ninth.

Yep...that's it.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#64 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yep...that's it.

Told ya, Sammy.

Yeah, I know. My main point was that I don't think Gonzalez will get a mention except maybe a couple sentences like "And check out Miguel Gonzalez's start. He kept his team in the game."

#65 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Yep...that's it.

Really, I have no problem with that. Ibanez, ARod, Giradi, the O's losing a game they never lose, and the series overall are bigger stories.

I'm not sure why people get worked up over things like that.

#66 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Really, I have no problem with that. Ibanez, ARod, Giradi, the O's losing a game they never lose, and the series overall are bigger stories.

I'm not sure why people get worked up over things like that.

It just sucks that we knew Gonzalez was going to get lost in the shuffle. It's true that the spoils from yesterday go to the Yankees. That being said, how many times have we heard about Pettitte's gutty (losing) performance?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

It just sucks that we knew Gonzalez was going to get lost in the shuffle. It's true that the spoils from yesterday go to the Yankees. That being said, how many times have we heard about Pettitte's gutty (losing) performance?

I haven't heard about it that much, but I guess I don't focus on it that much.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Gonzalez 2012: 18 games, 15 starts, 9-4, 3.25 era, 105.1 ip, 92 hits, 13 hr's, 35 bb's, 77 k's, .694 OPS against, 0.58 G/F xFIP 4.63, K% 17.7, BB% 8.1, LD% 22.4, SwStr % 8.7.

General Thoughts:
I have to admit that it probably took me longer than it should have, to trust what my eyes were seeing with Gonzalez. In his 15 regular season starts, 10 times he went at-least 6 innings and allowed 2 er or less. I think his change-up was extremely impressive, and a true plus pitch. Between what he did at Tampa Bay during his last regular season start, and in New York during the ALDS; it is hard to project a 2013 rotation of internal options and not include Gonzalez. By the end of the year, I was very comfortable with Gonzalez taking the ball. I generally felt Gonzalez was going to keep the O’s in the game. While I think it would be fair to have reservations of what you will get from him next year as a starter, he should get the opportunity. If his consistency is reduced next year in the rotation; I’ll feel excellent about him as a swing-starter / long-relief option.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

We will have our 2013 Projection for Gonzalez up shortly, but here is a link to Tucker's October article on Gonzalez:

BSL: The magical story of Miguel Gonzalez
http://baltimorespor...iguel-gonzalez/

Gonzalez really was a tremendous story. I'm interested to see what we see out of Gonzalez this Spring. How does he handle the success he had? He goes into ST as the assumed 4th starter. Does he take that spot and run with it?

Obviously only so much you can take from the extremely small sample sizes of ST. I'm talking more about what we hear about Gonzalez from Showalter, Adair, Peterson etc.

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

MASN: Showalter gives Gonzalez benefit of doubt
http://www.masnsport...r-5-2-loss.html

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

MASN: From Mexico to the majors: Miguel Gonzalez will try to repeat last year's success for the Orioles
http://www.masnsport...he-orioles.html

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Gonzalez on the mound tomorrow for the Birds. Interested to see him again.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

MLB.com: Gonzalez excited to be with O's, ready for start
http://baltimore.ori...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Very interested to see what Miguel can do this year.

I was maybe his biggest supporter last year.  Thought from the moment he came back up to join the rotation (after starting in the bullpen then going down to AAA to stretch out) that he would be out most reliable young starter the rest of the way.  Though Tillman probably ended up taking that title, Gonzo pitched really well for the remainder of the year, particularly down the stretch.

I have no idea if he can continue that success or if that was the best we'll ever see him.  But he was dialed in last year.  I'm optimistic that he can do it again, and I think of the guys behind Hammel and Chen, he's the guy I'd bet on to be the best of the rest this season.

#75 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I also really like Miguel, especially his changeup. His FIP and xFIP were over a run higher than his ERA, though so that's a concern along with his lack of track record. I do think he'll be solid this year, but obviously it's hard to have total faith in him until he shows he can do it again and for a full season.

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Gotta start to question his conditioning a bit given his struggles on 4-days rest and how he just fell apart in the sixth after only about 75 pitches.

#77 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Gotta start to question his conditioning a bit given his struggles on 4-days rest and how he just fell apart in the sixth after only about 75 pitches.

Was thinking the same thing. Looked very good until that inning, then almost immediately looked completely gassed.

@AdamWolff

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Per Roch, Miguel Gonzalez will be activated on Tuesday and make the start that evening vs. the Yankees.

#79 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Miguel Gonzalez looked like a legitimate MLB SP tonight. Worked fast, changed speeds, mixed pitches up, pitched from corner to corner. Really had it all working tonight. Splitter was terrific and is clearly his best pitch. His fastball is sneaky and that 91-93 probably looks faster at times. Overall, very good start off the DL from Miguel Gonzalez.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Miguel Gonzalez looked like a legitimate MLB SP tonight. Worked fast, changed speeds, mixed pitches up, pitched from corner to corner. Really had it all working tonight. Splitter was terrific and is clearly his best pitch. His fastball is sneaky and that 91-93 probably looks faster at times. Overall, very good start off the DL from Miguel Gonzalez.

Agreed, the splitter was just sick. He was in control all night. Great 1st start back, need to see more of this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=