#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Nice rebound start from Gonzalez tonight. 6.2 ip, 6 hits, 4 er, 3 hr's, 0 bb's, 8 k's. He threw 111 pitches, 72 for strikes.

Pretty impressed with him, I thought his performance was even better than the statline indicated as he was left in a little too long. He didn't even look like he had recovered during the postgame interview, as I can't recall the last time I've seen the starting pitcher that tired after the game. He's been a pleasant surprise so far, doesn't exactly have electric stuff, but he's getting the job done a lot of the time. Hoping to see him as rotation mainstay.
@levineps

#22 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Pretty impressed with him, I thought his performance was even better than the statline indicated as he was left in a little too long. He didn't even look like he had recovered during the postgame interview, as I can't recall the last time I've seen the starting pitcher that tired after the game. He's been a pleasant surprise so far, doesn't exactly have electric stuff, but he's getting the job done a lot of the time. Hoping to see him as rotation mainstay.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I don't think he's got the stuff to be much more than a #5, but after the inconsistent performances we've seen for the last few years from our young 'stud' prospects, I think there's a ton of value in a guy that can consistently take the ball every 5th day and give you solid innings.

As Madison said, pleasant surprise is the perfect way to describe him IMO.

@AdamWolff

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

This guy has really been huge for the O's. He's had one awful start, otherwise he's been solid to great and the O's are now 4-2 in games he starts. He was very good in 3 long relief appearances before that.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

This guy has really been huge for the O's. He's had one awful start, otherwise he's been solid to great and the O's are now 4-2 in games he starts. He was very good in 3 long relief appearances before that.

I still think ideally he's a long reliever/spot starter. But on this O's team he is well served in the rotation as a middle reliever and has been pretty reliable so far. It will be interesting to see how he performs in mid-to-late August with more info out on him. He's performed great though thus far with Hammel out and an underperforming group of young pitchers(how much longer can we say this?).
@levineps

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Another great start last night. I am not sure if he can sustain it, or if he is just a long reliever type, but the guy knows how to pitch. He changes speeds, works both sides of the plate and works fast. Ray Miller would love this kid.
I think many of us feel it is too good to be true because none of us knew the guy existed before this year. He is contributing big time to a play off contending team so let's let it ride and see how faqr he can go.
@mikeghg

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Another great start last night. I am not sure if he can sustain it, or if he is just a long reliever type, but the guy knows how to pitch. He changes speeds, works both sides of the plate and works fast. Ray Miller would love this kid.
I think many of us feel it is too good to be true because none of us knew the guy existed before this year. He is contributing big time to a play off contending team so let's let it ride and see how faqr he can go.

Rodrigo Lopez part 2. Ideally he's your 5th starter. Keep running him out there and hope he keeps it up after the league has seen him a couple times. I like him though, definitely would have him in the plans for next season's rotation.
@JeremyMStrain

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Season 5-2, 3.38 era, 61.1 ip, 53 hits, 10 hr's, 22 bb's, 47 k's, .731 OPS against, 0.55 G/F

On the mound tonight in Texas.

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Season 5-2, 3.38 era, 61.1 ip, 53 hits, 10 hr's, 22 bb's, 47 k's, .731 OPS against, 0.55 G/F

On the mound tonight in Texas.

Doesn't get much tougher than facing Texis in Arlington. Hope he can keep surprising us.

@AdamWolff

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Gonzalez on the mound to start the series in NY tonight.

Last 4 starts:

8/20: 5 ip, 8 hits, 4 er, 3 bb's, 2 k's
8/15: 6 ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 1 bb, 2 k's
8/10: 8 ip, 6 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, 1 bb, 5 k's
8/5: 7 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 4 bb's, 4 k's

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

So far so good tonightfor arguably one of the biggest surprises in MLB this year.

Shockingly Keith Law is not a fan:

Not at all. He's also 28. RT @mannsg28: @keithlaw This Gonzalez kid for Baltimore looks solid. Mid-rotation starter maybe?

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

What a big time effort from Gonzalez tonight. His change-up was just devastating.

7 ip, 4 hits, 0 er, 1 bb, 9 k's

97 pitches, 66 strikes.

Impressive all night, especially in the 6th after getting out of the inning when faced with a little bit of adversity.

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

He pitched great. If the rest helps, give it to him. He could really help us later in the season or in the playoffs if he can do that again. He mowed the staunch Yankees offense down.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

What a big time effort from Gonzalez tonight. His change-up was just devastating.

7 ip, 4 hits, 0 er, 1 bb, 9 k's

97 pitches, 66 strikes.

Impressive all night, especially in the 6th after getting out of the inning when faced with a little bit of adversity.

Most impressive start of the season by any Orioles pitcher when you consider performance, opponent and situation.

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Most impressive start of the season by any Orioles pitcher when you consider performance, opponent and situation.

Good Point. We were talking about that last night. Tillman's first start was big also, but Gonzalez was incredible last night.
Props to Buck have the guts to freshen up pitchers in the pennant race and then call their number in big spots.

Gonzalez looks a like a pitcher. He works fast, throws quality strikes and pitches to both sides of the plate.
On top of that he seems like a good young man. He is not smooth with his interviews but very sincere.
@mikeghg

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Coming off of his tremendous effort in NY, Gonzalez will attempt to help sweep Toronto tonight.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Coming off of his tremendous effort in NY, Gonzalez will attempt to help sweep Toronto tonight.

Gonzalez went 6.1 ip vs. Toronto, allowing 7 hits, 5 er, 1 hr, with 4 k's, and 0 walks.

He will face the Rays tonight. He has faced TB twice this year, getting rocked on 7/25, and having a strong outing 8/5.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm optimistic about Gonzalez tonight. I think he'll bounce back from his rough outing against the Jays.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Gonzalez did not look good early tonight, and I don't think he ever had his best stuff. He did a good job battling through adversity and keeping the O's in the game.

Showalter in the post game talking about how he recognizes that Gonzalez can often not look great in his initial couple of innings.

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

He gutted it out and gave us a chance to win, which we took advantage of. Hes a good guy to have around.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: Gonzalez's improbable rise mirrors O's
http://baltimore.ori...ws_bal&c_id=bal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=