#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I must admit I never heard of him before.

Anyone have information and/or an opinion on him?

Is this a good move?

#2 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

He's 28 years old and has a 1.50 ERA and 36 k's in 30 innings of work so far at Triple-A.

http://www.baseball-...id=gonzal004mig

I've never heard of him either, seems like one of those journyman minor leaguers you sort of glaze over.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Gotta like a 36/5 K/BB ratio, but of course he's very old for his league and doesn't have a good history so I'm not expecting much.

#4 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Gotta like a 36/5 K/BB ratio, but of course he's very old for his league and doesn't have a good history so I'm not expecting much.

Same here. It's possible he just recently figured it out but he had a 5.40 ERA last season in the minors so I'm not holding out much hope for the guy.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Gonzalez relieved Arrieta in the 5th, and allowed 3 runs (2 of which he inherited from Jake). After that, he settled in nicely. He ended up pitching 3.1 innings giving up 4 hits and striking out 5.

In the 5th, I thought he looked okay there too, considering the circumstances. One of the hits which allowed a run was off a broken bat hit.

He wasn't flashy, but he still had some pretty decent stuff and control out there tonight.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Missed him in the 5th and 6th. Only saw him in the 7th and 8th. Now, I was pretty impressed with what I saw in the 7th and 8th. Great control with a 92-93 fastball with solid secondary pitches. I did notice he was pitching from the windup. Obviously coming in to relieve Arrieta in the 5th he was working out of the stretch and allowed some hits and inherited runners to score. SO it'll be interesting to see if he looks any different when I see him pitch from the stretch.

#7 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

He was a guy that impressed Fred Ferriera in the Mexican summer league (I think, it was one of those summer leagues).

He's missed a few years of play due to injury and other non-baseball related problems. Seems like a good find so far. Ferriera was a big pickup for the Orioles this off-season.

#8 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

At the very least, he looks like a solid bullpen option for long relief and maybe setup. He might be a lonshot option to start. He did throw 5 no hit innings in his last start. Good job by the Duquette to pick up arms like Gonzalez and Pomeranz for nothing. He didn't do as well on the offensive side with Jai Miller, Matt Antonelli, and such.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Camden Depot: http://camdendepot.b...by-numbers.html

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm pretty optimistic about Gonzalez going forward. My money is on him to be the best among the group of him, Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, and Tillman over the rest of the season.

Hopefully at least 2 of those guys will pitch decently for the next couple months.

#11 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm pretty optimistic about Gonzalez going forward. My money is on him to be the best among the group of him, Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, and Tillman over the rest of the season.

Hopefully at least 2 of those guys will pitch decently for the next couple months.

Wow. Why exactly?
@JeffLongBP

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Wow. Why exactly?

I've really liked what I've seen from Gonzalez, and his numbers in the minors were fantastic. I also read someone's article about the scout that found him in Mexico and the way he was pitching there, which was completely different than how he had been pitching for years and looks like it has carried over. It's kind of more of just a gut feeling than anything I can specifically point to statistically.

Arrieta and Matusz appear lost. I'm not completely giving up hope on them, but I don't expect either to be back in Baltimore quickly. Mid-August at the earliest.

While I'm excited to see if Tillman can finally produce for us, I'm not letting one start significantly impact my judgement. He was pretty much the same guy we've seen in the minors this year.

Britton is a guy with a lot of talent and I love groundball pitchers, but shoulder injuries scare the crap out of me.

I don't really think he's a better option than all, if any, of those guys for the long term future. But I think he's going to give us more production over the next three months than the young guys will. We'll just have to see how everything works out. Hopefully at least 2-3 guys can step up and we can make a legit run at this thing.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

You may just be right Mackus. I am liking what I'm seeing from him.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

Another great start from MGon, very happy so far.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

He really showed me something last night. He did not appear to have anything in the first inning but fought his way through and really did a nice job getting deep into the game. He looks like a professional pitcher, meaning one who knows his craft.
@mikeghg

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

He really showed me something last night. He did not appear to have anything in the first inning but fought his way through and really did a nice job getting deep into the game. He looks like a professional pitcher, meaning one who knows his craft.

Rodrigo Lopez the sequel.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Rodrigo Lopez the sequel.

Yea, I mentioned that in a game thread awhile ago. Lopez had some value. I will take that from a scrap heap acquisition.
@mikeghg

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Nice rebound start from Gonzalez tonight. 6.2 ip, 6 hits, 4 er, 3 hr's, 0 bb's, 8 k's. He threw 111 pitches, 72 for strikes.

#19 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I had read that Gonzalez was ill in his last start before tonight, so maybe he gets a pass for that one. If you toss that game out, he has pitched pretty well every time he has been used.

All in all, this is another player the Orioles have been able to find that has done a nice job of contributing to the team.
@Tpjs1

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,679 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Camden Chat: Is Miguel Gonzalez for real?
http://www.camdencha...rioles-changeup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=