• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Gonzalez had another great start tonight. Over 7 IP, he allowed 2 runs, 5 hits, and struck out one. The O's really needed him to be a stopper tonight and he did. He has pitched very well over the last couple of starts.

I know SG mentioned this in the game thread, but Gonzalez's story might be one of the best in baseball this year. From the Mexican League to a solid, producing starter for a playoff-contending team.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

Gonzalez had another great start tonight. Over 7 IP, he allowed 2 runs, 5 hits, and struck out one. The O's really needed him to be a stopper tonight and he did. He has pitched very well over the last couple of starts.

I know SG mentioned this in the game thread, but Gonzalez's story might be one of the best in baseball this year. From the Mexican League to a solid, producing starter for a playoff-contending team.

The man has been terrific and was clutch again tonight. He dug in after the EE homer and waited for help. It took a little bit but the calvary came through for him, in a big way.
@mikeghg

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

His FIP is 4.55(over 1 run higher than his actual ERA). His xFIP is 4.69.

His BB rate is 3 and his K rate is 6.3 His K/BB ratio is better than 2:1.

His HR rate is high at 1.18 per 9 IP.

His BABIP is a little on the lucky side when you consider the almost 23% LD% against him.

He is averaging 6.2 IP per start.

His swinging str% is 14%, which is probably average or slightly above for starters. His str% is 66%, which is well above average.

His first pitch str% is also well above average.

So, he is a guy that attacks the zone, gets ahead early and has some solid peripherals. He is also able to go deep into games.

Now, he has also been a little lucky. He probably isn't as good as his ERA suggests but he has pitched some of the biggest games of the year this year and done a great job.

In 4 of his last 5 starts, he has gone at least 6 IP and given up 2 runs or less...and he has done that in 3 straight starts.

He has given up 2 runs or less in 9 of his starts and gave up 3 runs in another.

Really has only had one awful start and another one, earlier this month, that wasn't very good.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I would rely on him to keep this up next year but he has been great for us this year.

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Good Post SG. I agree with your premise that it will be interesting to see if he can do this again next year, but he has been an integral part of this years success.
He looks like a pitcher to me. he works both sides of the plate, works fast and changes speeds. he also is a bull dog when he is on the mound.

A great pickup for the Orioles. In a year of pleasant surprises, Gonzalez and McLouth have to be at the top of the list.

He definitely should be given the chance to compete for the rotation next year.
@mikeghg

#45 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

The nice thing about Gonzalez is his versatility. His numbers as a reliever at Norfolk were outstanding. I'd definitely put him in the mix for the rotation but if Matusz looked really good and we had 5 solid guys, I would keep Gonzalez as either a long man or a setup guy.

#46 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,564 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

The nice thing about Gonzalez is his versatility. His numbers as a reliever at Norfolk were outstanding. I'd definitely put him in the mix for the rotation but if Matusz looked really good and we had 5 solid guys, I would keep Gonzalez as either a long man or a setup guy.

Agreed. He should be on the 2013 staff, role TBD.

#47 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Agreed. He should be on the 2013 staff, role TBD.

Yep, that's pretty much how I'd handle it. Try to improve your rotation in the winter and hopefully you've got Mgonz as a 5th starter/LR out of the pen. Still think it'd look great with Grienke-TBD-Hammel at the top and maybe Chen-Tillman at the back. Need the depth obviously, we've been rotating in about 9-10 starters this year, so that depth has been a saving grace for sure.
@JeremyMStrain

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Still think it'd look great with Grienke-TBD-Hammel at the top and maybe Chen-Tillman at the back. Need the depth obviously, we've been rotating in about 9-10 starters this year, so that depth has been a saving grace for sure.

I think that paying for Greinke is a real long shot considering Angelos is still the owner (I'll keep saying that till he proves me wrong, or dies I suppose), but signing Greinke and then also adding another pitcher via trade or FA that is also better than Hammel seems like pure fantasy.

One pitcher better than Hammel would be great. I'd love to get Greinke and would throw a ton of money at him if we can. Doubly awesome because he doesn't even cost you a draft pick. I'd be very comfortable with Greinke, Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and then one of Gonzalez, Matusz, or Johnson to start the year, with Bundy hopefully breathing down everyone's necks by May.

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I think that paying for Greinke is a real long shot considering Angelos is still the owner (I'll keep saying that till he proves me wrong, or dies I suppose), but signing Greinke and then also adding another pitcher via trade or FA that is also better than Hammel seems like pure fantasy.

One pitcher better than Hammel would be great. I'd love to get Greinke and would throw a ton of money at him if we can. Doubly awesome because he doesn't even cost you a draft pick. I'd be very comfortable with Greinke, Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and then one of Gonzalez, Matusz, or Johnson to start the year, with Bundy hopefully breathing down everyone's necks by May.

Well yeah, I think it's a pipe dream too, but I know these teams we are beating out aren't going to rest on their laurels either, it's going to be that much harder to repeat without adding some more talent. Guys can't have career years every year.

I actually had Bundy planned for that TBD spot, who I think is better than Hammel, but I also think that he had a great year, and he's got much improved stuff, but I'd feel a lot better calling this a playoff team if Hammel is your 3 and not your 2. Just gotta plug someone into that slot for a couple months until Dylan gets back up.

Word is that Grienke is looking for something around 6/125m. He's also pretty comfortable in Anaheim, which I didn't think he would be in that market, but hey you never know until you get there. We'll see how the push to the playoffs treats him, but I think if they make the postseason, ANA is a good 40% chance of resigning him.
@JeremyMStrain

#50 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

I spoke to him today. Cool guy.

http://bit.ly/STiyuG
@Thyrl

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Depending on the importance of the game, Gonzalez could be the starter for the last regular season game. And I'm alright with that. Other then the game he was sick, he's been really good. I have as much confidence in him as any of our starters at this point.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Another great game for Gonzalez tonight.

6.1 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 2 bb's, 7 k's.

He threw 95 pitches, 61 for strikes. Great sequence to get Longoria with 2 runners on to end the 6th.

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Another great game for Gonzalez tonight.

6.1 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 2 bb's, 7 k's.

He threw 95 pitches, 61 for strikes. Great sequence to get Longoria with 2 runners on to end the 6th.

How great has he been in huge games this year?

#54 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

How great has he been in huge games this year?

Has he solidified a spot in the rotation for next year?

I seem to think so.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I seem to think so.

I agree. Without considering trades or free agents, I'd rank the options in this order:

Hammel, Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Bundy (start him in the minors), Matusz, Johnson, Arrieta, Hunter

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I seem to think so.

If the Orioles do what I hope they do, then yes, there is likely a spot for him. If not, it's going to be a numbers thing and how does a guy like BMat look in ST.

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I seem to think so.

Hopefully we are at a spot now where we have many options but he certainly has earned the right to be considered.

He has been terrific. He is a rock under pressure.
@mikeghg

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

Gonzo's got the job next year unless somebody takes it away, and I bet doing that won't be easy.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Will be lost in the result, but Gonzalez was excellent tonight.

7 ip, 5 hits, 1 er, 0 bb's, 8 k's. He threw 99 pitches, 69 for strikes. Yankee hitters had 9 grounders against him.

His change (or split) really is a plus pitch.

For awhile I've thought that based on who is here now, that Gonzalez would compete with Matusz to be the 5th starter next Spring. With this performance, I think it is going to be hard for him not to start '13 in the rotation.

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,564 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Simply great performance. Nothing fazes him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=