#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Lots of Internet rumors swirling...

Virginia/Ga Tech to the Big Ten; South Florida/UConn/Cincy/Louisville all talking to the ACC.

If I were the B1G, I'd sit still and let the SEC and Big XII take their bites out of the ACC. Then look at what's left. If Ga Tech is there, I'd invite them.....then get Notre Dame on the phone and say "let's talk."

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

GA Tech would be tougher to justify since it doesn't border any Big 10 states and it's a pretty big drop off from Charlotesville to Atlanta. I think it's UConn's to lose as the ACC is right now, but boviously that's in flux.

Define "drop off." Travel-wise, it's probably much easier to get to Atlanta than Charlottesville. And of course the most important point here is:

DMA Size

Atlanta - #9
Richmond - #57

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Define "drop off." Travel-wise, it's probably much easier to get to Atlanta than Charlottesville. And of course the most important point here is:

DMA Size

Atlanta - #9
Richmond - #57

Travel-wise but I'm more talking about geography, not market location or academic prestige. GT is clearly better in the former, UVA in the latter. The point being is it's harder to justify a school that doesn't border a member. And you got two states south of Virginia, that don't border Georgia.
@levineps

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Travel-wise but I'm more talking about geography, not market location or academic prestige. GT is clearly better in the former, UVA in the latter. The point being is it's harder to justify a school that doesn't border a member. And you got two states south of Virginia, that don't border Georgia.

Gotcha. But even though the B1G has stuck to the contiguous states principle, I'm not so sure that will matter as much now.....since it's primarily money that drives these decisions, I think it's advantage GT. And I have read that when the B1G was looking a couple years ago and chose Neb, they did take a serious look at GT.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Gotcha. But even though the B1G has stuck to the contiguous states principle, I'm not so sure that will matter as much now.....since it's primarily money that drives these decisions, I think it's advantage GT. And I have read that when the B1G was looking a couple years ago and chose Neb, they did take a serious look at GT.

would've been even harder to justify that then without MD (or UVA). It's all about $$$ as you pointed out though.
@levineps

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

ESPN: Is the Big Ten done?
http://espn.go.com/c...ollege-football

Mentions UNC, Kansas, and Georgia Tech as possibilities.

#47 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Boise St, San Diego St, and BYU talking to MWC to return:
http://espn.go.com/c... ... ources-say

If they do, that would kiss Big East football goodbye.

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Yep, the Mountain West would be a better conference than the Big East, football-wise. Although the MWC's TV deal still stinks. Their primary TV partner (CBS) would probably need to renegotiate to sweeten the payout a bit. But those three coming back does add the possibility for a CCG. But BYU has it's national following, and Boise State has carved out somewhat of a brand too, so those two certainly help their profile. Not to mention that it just makes geographic sense to stay out there now without the BCS.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Not surprised by this in the least when the Big East got left out of the BCS, it made little sense.
@levineps

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

http://sportsillustr... ... index.html

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

He's right, on all counts. For that reason, I expect the ACC to stick to its guns on the $50 million, even if it goes to court.

#52 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Coach K's hypocrisy knows no bounds.

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Already lobbying the ACC not to negotiate with Maryland. This will be interesting.

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I didn't think they'd be worried over a team they shouted "not our rivals" to. Surely, MD can be replaced?
@levineps

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Already lobbying the ACC not to negotiate with Maryland. This will be interesting.

I didn't take it like that. I've heard rumblings in this mess that MD might get out of the full $50m, so I think he was just mentioning that possibility. Also took that he knows other teams are negotiating to leave.

I've heard Coach K was NOT happy about MD leaving, and not in a because we are better than them way, but in a they are a mainstay of this conference, how did this happen way.
@JeremyMStrain

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I didn't take it like that. I've heard rumblings in this mess that MD might get out of the full $50m, so I think he was just mentioning that possibility. Also took that he knows other teams are negotiating to leave.

I've heard Coach K was NOT happy about MD leaving, and not in a because we are better than them way, but in a they are a mainstay of this conference, how did this happen way.

They basically implied in the presser today that they'd try to get out of it. They'll fight it, they have little to lose. Worse case scenario, they'll still have to pay the $50 million. Well worth it.
@levineps

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yeah... I mean I didn't mean it negatively toward's K, I have no issue with what he said. BUT, he clearly IS lobbying to make sure that $50M fee isn't reduced... and he should be, he's protecting his conference.

#58 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Of course he's worried about the future of the ACC. He is hitched to a football program that nobody wants.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Of course he's worried about the future of the ACC. He is hitched to a football program that nobody wants.

The Duke brand even with a mediocre football program is still a big deal, just like Kentucky no matter how bad their football program is.
@levineps

#60 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

..and, more importantly, is not hitched to a major media market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=