388 replies to this topic

#21 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

We already have just 4 conferences that are "stable." It just comes down to how big they want to get. FSU and Clemson would go to the Big XII. I don't think the SEC is interested in them.

I meant "stable" as in how big are they going to get. I know those 4 have basically positioned themselves well. But are they constantly going to be adding teams?

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I meant "stable" as in how big are they going to get. I know those 4 have basically positioned themselves well. But are they constantly going to be adding teams?

I think each of the four will get to 16 teams.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I think each of the four will get to 16 teams.

Yeah, going beyond 16 makes no sense in several fronts. Mainly, there just aren't that many schools out there that bring value.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Not sure how much farther this realignment is going. I imagine if the ACC disolves though that the remaining schools will form a super-conference with the Big East and the schools that can will join the SEC/Big 12. Really hate how college sports has become this way. 12 should be the limit to a conference. And for the ACC, I'd love to go back to what the ACC was in the pre-VT/BC/Miami days with the home/homes, but that's not realistic.
@levineps

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Big Ten (14)
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Nebraska
Michigan
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan State
Maryland
Rutgers

Big 12 (10)
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Iowa State
West Virginia
Baylor
Kansas

SEC (14)
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Tennessee
Kentucky
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Mississippi
Arkansas
Auburn

Pac 12 (12)
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
California
Washington State
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

I think each of these teams get to 16 teams eventually.

I can see UNC, UVA, NCST, and maybe Duke being options for the Big Ten.
I can see VaTech, NCST being options for the SEC.
I can see Clemson, FSU, and Louisville being options for the Big 12.
I can see Boise State, BYU, San Diego St being options for the Pac 12.

I would imagine the ACC will attempt to quickly replace MD with UConn, and hope nobody else bolts.
If more ACC teams quickly jump, there is going to be a rush on what is left of that conference.

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I really don't see UNC and Duke going anywhere without each other, and I could see the NC legislature requiring State to be part of the package too. Same with UVA and Virginia Tech.

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I really don't see UNC and Duke going anywhere without each other, and I could see the NC legislature requiring State to be part of the package too. Same with UVA and Virginia Tech.

Difference is Duke isn't a public school.
@levineps

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Difference is Duke isn't a public school.

I didn't mean the state requiring them to go, I meant that Duke and Carolina are about as likely to risk splitting their rivalry as Ohio State-Michigan.

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Big Ten (14)
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Nebraska
Michigan
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan State
Maryland
Rutgers

Big 12 (10)
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Iowa State
West Virginia
Baylor
Kansas

SEC (14)
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Tennessee
Kentucky
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Mississippi
Arkansas
Auburn

Pac 12 (12)
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
California
Washington State
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

I think each of these teams get to 16 teams eventually.

I can see UNC, UVA, NCST, and maybe Duke being options for the Big Ten.
I can see VaTech, NCST being options for the SEC.
I can see Clemson, FSU, and Louisville being options for the Big 12.
I can see Boise State, BYU, San Diego St being options for the Pac 12.

I would imagine the ACC will attempt to quickly replace MD with UConn, and hope nobody else bolts.
If more ACC teams quickly jump, there is going to be a rush on what is left of that conference.

I don't see the Pac-12 adding Boise and doubtful with San Diego State. BYU is one I could see. But I don't think the Pac-12 is expanding, I'd say they are the least likely too because of their footprint. Only thing I could see is if the Big 12 dissolved, them taking some of the Texas schools.

I think Clemson and FSU are better possibilities for the SEC. That being said I can't see VT&NC St going to the Big 12, so that might be right. Louisville not so much, but they are probably a better fit there than either than anywhere else.

I think UVA is probably the most liekly for the Big 10. UNC I could see but I can't imagine them losing the rivalry with Duke. NC St and VTech might also work (UVA/VT could be similar to Michigan/Mich St).

Duke believe it or not, I could see in the SEC. A natural rivalry with Kentucky. And they could be on par with Vandy.
@levineps

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I didn't mean the state requiring them to go, I meant that Duke and Carolina are about as likely to risk splitting their rivalry as Ohio State-Michigan.

Probably, but who knows? At one point, it never looked like Texas+A&M would lose their rivalry.
@levineps

#31 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I think you'll see the ACC give a hard look at Louisville or UConn. Louisville doesn't have the academics, but their athletics are clear-cut the best available.

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Probably, but who knows? At one point, it never looked like Texas+A&M would lose their rivalry.

I think Duke-UNC is a bit stronger than Texas-Texas A&M.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't see the Pac-12 adding Boise and doubtful with San Diego State. BYU is one I could see. But I don't think the Pac-12 is expanding, I'd say they are the least likely too because of their footprint. Only thing I could see is if the Big 12 dissolved, them taking some of the Texas schools.

I think Clemson and FSU are better possibilities for the SEC. That being said I can't see VT&NC St going to the Big 12, so that might be right. Louisville not so much, but they are probably a better fit there than either than anywhere else.

I think UVA is probably the most liekly for the Big 10. UNC I could see but I can't imagine them losing the rivalry with Duke. NC St and VTech might also work (UVA/VT could be similar to Michigan/Mich St).

Duke believe it or not, I could see in the SEC. A natural rivalry with Kentucky. And they could be on par with Vandy.

Whether it happens today, or 5-10 years from now; I don't think there is much chance of those four conferences not getting to 16 teams each.

Does get harder to find 4 more Universities which make some sense for the Pac 12.

I think South Carolina and Florida would disagree about Clemson and FSU being better fits for the SEC.

I think even if UNC and Duke were to split, they will always keep their rivalry. By location alone, they would figure to continue to play each other in all sports. Basketball would just go from home and home, to once a year.

I think it is possible things could break to the point Duke goes Independent in basketball, and football wise is a merged Big East / ACC league with what remains from both leagues.

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Correct on the Pac-12. Any expansion that does not include Texas isn't happening. They'll be staying at 12 for the foreseeable future.

The SEC doesn't want FSU and Clemson. 1) It does not expand the conference's footprint any (they will be starting a network soon as well, so that is now an important consideration) and 2) Florida and South Carolina don't want their in-state rivals to steal their spotlight. If the SEC expands, VT and UNC would be their first choices. But UNC won't go anywhere without Duke, so the SEC would take NC State instead.....still gets their network on basic cable in the rapidly-growing NC markets. FSU and Clemson would be good fits for the Big XII.

The Big Ten would love UVA and UNC. But again, UNC goes nowhere without Duke. Unlike the SEC, the Big Ten might consider that. The Big Ten has also looked seriously at GA Tech in the past......they could add them, then sit and wait to see who else defects from the ACC.....and finally swoop in and get Notre Dame as #16.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

I think Duke-UNC is a bit stronger than Texas-Texas A&M.

Just an analogy, not disagreeing. The point is if you had said a decade ago that those two schools would NOT play on an annual basis, you would've thought "no way." Who knows what UNC-Duke will be once Coach K leaves. They could still keep the rivalry going even if they are in different conferences like Utah-BYU (yes I know they are an independent in football).
@levineps

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Whether it happens today, or 5-10 years from now; I don't think there is much chance of those four conferences not getting to 16 teams each.

Does get harder to find 4 more Universities which make some sense for the Pac 12.

I think South Carolina and Florida would disagree about Clemson and FSU being better fits for the SEC.

I think even if UNC and Duke were to split, they will always keep their rivalry. By location alone, they would figure to continue to play each other in all sports. Basketball would just go from home and home, to once a year.

I think it is possible things could break to the point Duke goes Independent in basketball, and football wise is a merged Big East / ACC league with what remains from both leagues.

I can see 16 teams much easier for the non-Pac-12 schools. I just don't see the Pac-12 adding Boise, San Diego St, Eastern Washington to have a mega-conference. The only way I can see that is if theres a defection. The most likely school to defect is probably Colorado, but we (I'm an alum) just left the Big 12. We were rumored for the Big 10 at one point and that would make somewhat sense with Nebraska, but I don't see it happening. As I said it's a footprint issue moreso in the Pac-12 than the other conferences. There's not as many quality schools to choose from west of Kansas/Texas as you pointed out.

I'm not sure how opposed SC/UF would be, but I suppose you have a point. How opposed was UVA to VT, wasn't their internal pressure (from the legislature) for UVA to support it? I could imagine this being the case here.

The only way Duke will be an independent is if they can arrange a Notre Dame-type deal. That's the only place where being independent works in the college landscape works. Wouldn't Duke have a difficult time scheduling after mid-January when all other teams are in conference play?
@levineps

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Just an analogy, not disagreeing. The point is if you had said a decade ago that those two schools would NOT play on an annual basis, you would've thought "no way." Who knows what UNC-Duke will be once Coach K leaves. They could still keep the rivalry going even if they are in different conferences like Utah-BYU (yes I know they are an independent in football).

The Texas/Texas A&M dynamic is different from Duke/UNC. A&M was always "the other state school" in Texas. Their reason for leaving had as much to do with an inferiority complex as anything. That doesn't exist between Duke/UNC. Despite being neighbors and rivals, they are two very different schools, and there is more of a mutual respect between them then there was in Texas.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

The Texas/Texas A&M dynamic is different from Duke/UNC. A&M was always "the other state school" in Texas. Their reason for leaving had as much to do with an inferiority complex as anything. That doesn't exist between Duke/UNC. Despite being neighbors and rivals, they are two very different schools, and there is more of a mutual respect between them then there was in Texas.

Yeah, a better comparison would be your point about NC State going on their own to the SEC. While I could see the state legislature forcing NC State on whichever conference picks up the other two to keep them out of a collapsing conference, if they left on their own that might make sense.

If the SEC wanted to go absolutely nuts and end up at twenty teams I could see them pulling in all three NC schools, UVA and VaTech, and someone else like FSU or Clemson just to round out the group.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Lots of Internet rumors swirling...

Virginia/Ga Tech to the Big Ten; South Florida/UConn/Cincy/Louisville all talking to the ACC.

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Lots of Internet rumors swirling...

Virginia/Ga Tech to the Big Ten; South Florida/UConn/Cincy/Louisville all talking to the ACC.

GA Tech would be tougher to justify since it doesn't border any Big 10 states and it's a pretty big drop off from Charlotesville to Atlanta. I think it's UConn's to lose as the ACC is right now, but boviously that's in flux.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=