• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Conference Realignment has been a popular discussion here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1104) and elsewhere for a considerable amount of time.

With rumors (http://espn.go.com/c...nce-sources-say) of MD and Rutgers possibly leaving the ACC, and Big East to join the Big Ten; I am starting a new thread here.

The direct Maryland angle can be discussed in the Maryland basketball section. Use this thread to discuss realignment on the NCAA as a whole.

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Let's say Maryland and Rutgers do end up going to the Big Ten? As much as most of us would hate it, it may be a reality.

How do you see the ACC and Big East reacting?

ACC: adds UConn?
Big East: adds Fresno St. and ECU?

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I think it would be difficult to say really. I think what we have learned from all these moves, is that one set of team moves to one conference leads another set of teams to another one of the big conferences.

For an organization that professes to care so much about the "Student Athlete" they sure do not have problems moving them cross country to play conference games.
@mikeghg

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Another important thing to think about.......as Chris brought up in the other thread, if UM bolts and successfully sues/negotiates to lower the exit fee, does this revive the FSU/Clemson to the Big XII discussion?

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests Marquette to the ACC if MD to the Big Ten happens.

http://www.jsonline..../179819291.html

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Let's say Maryland and Rutgers do end up going to the Big Ten? As much as most of us would hate it, it may be a reality.

How do you see the ACC and Big East reacting?

ACC: adds UConn?
Big East: adds Fresno St. and ECU?

If that happens (Rutgers and mainly UConn leaving and replaced by more western schools) at what point do the Big East Catholic schools say enough is enough and all hell breaks loose? Even though the western replacements would probably be football only, is this the final straw that gets Villanova, Georgetown, St. Johns, et al talking to the A-10 about a new venture?

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

If that happens (Rutgers and mainly UConn leaving and replaced by more western schools) at what point do the Big East Catholic schools say enough is enough and all hell breaks loose? Even though the western replacements would probably be football only, is this the final straw that gets Villanova, Georgetown, St. Johns, et al talking to the A-10 about a new venture?

You have to imagine they start thinking about it. But like the MD to the Big Ten, it's all about the money. Whatever TV contract the Big East gets, are the Catholics satisfied with their payout? Is that payout going to be significantly higher than a all-basketball league contract?

Although it's fairly well-known that the Catholics have hated Big East expansion, I can't imagine they were too upset with the last round. While they did have to add UCF and Southern Methodist, they also got two perennial basketball contenders in Memphis and Temple.

But I think you're right. If Aresco and Co. start wanting to add teams like ECU and Fresno, then the Catholics may start looking for other options.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Some people seem to be trying to draw a connection between this expansion (probably Rutgers more than UM) and Fox's recent acquisition of a minority share of YES. Fox, which owns 49% of the Big Ten Network, might try to use its YES influence to make sure that the BTN gets carriage on basic subscriptions by the NYC-area cable companies.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

You have to imagine they start thinking about it. But like the MD to the Big Ten, it's all about the money. Whatever TV contract the Big East gets, are the Catholics satisfied with their payout? Is that payout going to be significantly higher than a all-basketball league contract?

Although it's fairly well-known that the Catholics have hated Big East expansion, I can't imagine they were too upset with the last round. While they did have to add UCF and Southern Methodist, they also got two perennial basketball contenders in Memphis and Temple.

But I think you're right. If Aresco and Co. start wanting to add teams like ECU and Fresno, then the Catholics may start looking for other options.

The TV contract is important. I think equally important is their reputation and things like RPI and getting as many teams in the tournament as they can. Replacing Syracuse, Pitt, ND and potentially UConn with Central Florida, Houston and SMU (although Larry Brown could make them interesting) is not going to move the needle of the tournament committee for bubble teams. But some form of alliance with the A-10 might.

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

The TV contract is important. I think equally important is their reputation and things like RPI and getting as many teams in the tournament as they can. Replacing Syracuse, Pitt, ND and potentially UConn with Central Florida, Houston and SMU (although Larry Brown could make them interesting) is not going to move the needle of the tournament committee for bubble teams. But some form of alliance with the A-10 might.

Yup. For a long time, I've advocated for a super basketball conference.

Some combination (likely 10-12) of Xavier, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph's, Butler, VCU, Dayton, Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, DePaul, Providence, and St. John's.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yup. For a long time, I've advocated for a super basketball conference.

Some combination (likely 10-12) of Xavier, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph's, Butler, VCU, Dayton, Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, DePaul, Providence, and St. John's.

The other Catholic schools wouldn't leave Seton Hall behind, since they're an original Big East member. But yeah, something like that.

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

The other Catholic schools wouldn't leave Seton Hall behind, since they're an original Big East member. But yeah, something like that.

I knew I missed someone. Totally forgot about the Hall.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

If MD/Rutgers go to Big Ten, would ACC invite Georgetown/St. John's?

http://www.nydailyne... ... -1.1203850

Maryland moving could set off a wave of further realignment.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yep no conference wants an odd number particularly for football, with division alignments. I dislike what the college conference landscape has become. 12 teams should be the max. I miss the days when the ACC had home-and-homes, with every school. The real reason I wouldn't be too disappointed by this Big 10 move is the lack of annual home-and-home with Duke with the latest conference expansion.
@levineps

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't see the ACC adding more non-football schools. The exception made for Notre Dame was more about the 5 football games each season than ND's other sports.....that, and if Notre Dame ever did give up football independence the ACC would be in a great position to land them. The ACC will still have a strong presence in the DC area thanks to UVA/VT.

The big question is how the Big East will respond to losing Rutgers and possibly UConn?

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, I agree with the idea that I don't see the ACC adding a non-football playing school. UConn as a replacement for MD will make a lot of sense for the league.

I also agree that the remaining members of the Big East have to be thinking of doing something else. The basketball only schools merging with the A-10 seems logical to me.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, I agree with the idea that I don't see the ACC adding a non-football playing school. UConn as a replacement for MD will make a lot of sense for the league.

I also agree that the remaining members of the Big East have to be thinking of doing something else. The basketball only schools merging with the A-10 seems logical to me.

Oliver Luck looks much better now jumping to the Big 12. He talked about the conference dissolving, well it is. Really sad to me, given how great of a basketball league that was.
@levineps

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

So, if MD and Rutgers go to the Big Ten (giving that conference 14 teams)... do you see them quickly pursuing teams 15, and 16?

If so, might UVA and UNC be the favorites?

#19 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Really the interesting question would be what happens if MD does indeed jump? Lots of rumors that UNC or UVA could be targeted next. We know that FSU and Clemson have taken pretty serious looks at jumping to the SEC.

Do you guys think this conference realignment thing will ever end? That ultimately we'll end up with 3-4 main conferences that are stable? Or is this just going to be a yearly thing going on college sports now?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Really the interesting question would be what happens if MD does indeed jump? Lots of rumors that UNC or UVA could be targeted next. We know that FSU and Clemson have taken pretty serious looks at jumping to the SEC.

Do you guys think this conference realignment thing will ever end? That ultimately we'll end up with 3-4 main conferences that are stable? Or is this just going to be a yearly thing going on college sports now?

We already have just 4 conferences that are "stable." It just comes down to how big they want to get. FSU and Clemson would go to the Big XII. I don't think the SEC is interested in them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=