429 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think that's pretty cool. Shows Matusz really respects and appreciates all the hard work Brady has put in with him. Or it's a joke, which would be pretty cool, too. :)

#62 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Did anyone else see Matusz' glove last night? It looked to me like he was wearing Brady's glove for some reason. I thought I saw the stitching saying Brady Anderson. Anyone else get a look?

He had Brady's glove in Anaheim too. Showing respect perhaps. Maybe it's good luck? :lol:

Last night was by far his best stuff of the season. The guy is so unlucky though, horrible D let him down again or he would have finally notched that victory.

He was economical with his pitches, he got lucky a few times because the Jays hit some very loud and high/long outs off Matusz. Matter of fact, both starting pitchers were pretty lucky last night.

He was definitely still frustrated sitting at his locker last night though. But a good start to build upon no doubt.
@MattCLund

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Had a good discussion with Luke Jackson on Twitter last night about Matusz. My feeling is that with Matusz showing a return of his stuff, the discussion that matters about Matusz right now is his control.

In '10, his swinging strike % was 8.0, he entered the game last night at 7.3.
In '10, he had a 4.05 FIP over 175 ip. If he has great control, he can be a 2. If he has the control he had in '10, he should be able to replicate those numbers.

It is fair to call Small Sample Size on his last 10 starts of 2010. It is also fair to call SSS on everything we saw from him in 2011. Now that he is healthy, and he has his stuff back; we should be expecting a return to his overall 2010 numbers.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Had a good discussion with Luke Jackson on Twitter last night about Matusz. My feeling is that with Matusz showing a return of his stuff, the discussion that matters about Matusz right now is his control.

In '10, his swinging strike % was 8.0, he entered the game last night at 7.3.
In '10, he had a 4.05 FIP over 175 ip. If he has great control, he can be a 2. If he has the control he had in '10, he should be able to replicate those numbers.

It is fair to call Small Sample Size on his last 10 starts of 2010. It is also fair to call SSS on everything we saw from him in 2011. Now that he is healthy, and he has his stuff back; we should be expecting a return to his overall 2010 numbers.

I saw some of that convo. I felt Luke was way off in his analysis of Matusz, especially when discussing his stuff.

The stuff is fine...it's now all about command for Bmat.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing Matusz tomorrow night. Would be huge for him to follow-up his last start with another quality outing.

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hopefully the defense is better behind him.

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hopefully the defense is better behind him.

Hopefully the wind is knocking down fly balls again tonight. His .49 GB/FB ratio doesn't bode well for Yankee Stadium.

On another note, hopefully he continues missing bats. I've been happy with his SwSt% so far this year (14% to league avg of 15%).

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hopefully the wind is knocking down fly balls again tonight. His .49 GB/FB ratio doesn't bode well for Yankee Stadium.

On another note, hopefully he continues missing bats. I've been happy with his SwSt% so far this year (14% to league avg of 15%).

That number is probably above average for starters.

#69 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

That number is probably above average for starters.

The SwSt%?

How can I differentiate that between SP/RP's... is there a way to do that on baseball-reference?

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

The SwSt%?

How can I differentiate that between SP/RP's... is there a way to do that on baseball-reference?

Not that i am aware of...just stands to reason that the relievers would up that % some.

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Not that i am aware of...just stands to reason that the relievers would up that % some.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't really thought about it. I like that his SwSt% is up 4% from last year, and his GB/FB ratio is improved by .10 points (.49 vs. .39). At the same time, his LD% is up 5% from 19% to 24%. Either way, SSS and all that, but these are some of the things I'll be keeping an eye on as his season continues to unfold.

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

So, what are we going to see from Matusz tonight? Does he follow-up his last start, with another quality outing?

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

So, what are we going to see from Matusz tonight? Does he follow-up his last start, with another quality outing?

If the command is there, he will have a very good game.

If its not, they will make him throw a lot of pitches and he will tire.

I tend to think he has a QS type guy...6 IP, 3 runs.

#74 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Honestly, I think the Yanks are in Matusz's head a bit right now. I don't have a good feeling about tonight. Hope I'm wrong. I'd be happy with a bare minimum QS. 6 IP, 3ER.

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Honestly, I think the Yanks are in Matusz's head a bit right now. I don't have a good feeling about tonight. Hope I'm wrong. I'd be happy with a bare minimum QS. 6 IP, 3ER.

This is close to my opinions as well, although I think it's more of a physical domination the Yankees have over Matusz than a mental block.

If he goes 6 with 3 ER, I'll be happy, and I think that would be a good sign. He danced around trouble for most of his last start against NYY before finally getting burned in his final inning. Hopefully he can pitch better this time out. He pitched pretty well his last start, so we'll see if he can keep the momentum moving forward.

#76 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

This is close to my opinions as well, although I think it's more of a physical domination the Yankees have over Matusz than a mental block.

If he goes 6 with 3 ER, I'll be happy, and I think that would be a good sign. He danced around trouble for most of his last start against NYY before finally getting burned in his final inning. Hopefully he can pitch better this time out. He pitched pretty well his last start, so we'll see if he can keep the momentum moving forward.

I'd lie to see him mix his pitches up early and often. A lot of that will rely on his ability to throw multiple pitch types for strikes.

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Blessing in disguise tonight for Matusz is that Reimold isn't playing and superior defensive LFer is out there.

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Always love when I'm wrong in a case like this. Great start for BMat tonight. Best I've seen him look in a long time. Not just with the stuff and result, but he just looked very comfortable out there.

#79 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Matusz looked in complete control tonight. He definitely seemed to have a plan. A lot of first pitch strikes, seemed to be able to locate everything. Worked down in the zone and also pitched backwards a lot.

Best I've seen him look since 2010 probably. Incredibly encouraging to pitch like that, in Yankee Stadium, against that lineup.

@AdamWolff

#80 GlennGulliver

GlennGulliver
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

If the old Matusz is really in there somewhere, the way he seemed to be last night, that would make me believe in this team... not to win the division of course, but maybe not be awful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=