Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

MASN / Melewski: http://www.masnsport...-the-story.html

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

I think this last comment is my part of my statement as to why he WILL bounce back.

He is in great shape and obviously worked hard. He has NEVER struggled as a pitcher even in his rookie season. I think he learned it isn't fun. I believe BM will be a legit #2 in the big leagues as early as 2013.

Will be interesting if Matusz continues to show some physical and mechanical improvements over last year, but the Spring results are only so-so. I've been expecting Matusz to go back to AAA to begin the year, but I wonder just how stacked the deck is against him. Meaning, how good does he have to be this Spring to make the team? (Also, how much do they put into the results?).

If he winds-up being a #2, obviously that would be great. I do think that is where his upside still is. Even if he does not reach that level, I'll be fairly happy if he ends this year looking like a league average 3rd starter. If he stays healthy, I do believe he will do that.

Camden Depot had a good article today (which I linked to in the MLB section), defining the results required for each rotation spot in the AL.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

PressBox: Who is the 'Real' Brian Matusz?
http://www.pressboxo...ory.cfm?id=8703

Point / Counter-point from Stan Charles and Matt Palmer.

Palmer,"The real Brian Matusz is unfortunately long gone."

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Matusz today: 4ip, 0er, 3 hits, 0 bb's, 4 k's.

That is pretty exciting to see.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Camden Chat: Matusz without the Platoon Advantage
http://www.camdencha...-handed-batters

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

O/U for BMat:

IP: 160
ERA: 4.50
K rate: 7
BB rate: 3.5
games started: 25

Are you taking over or under for each of those?

#27 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Over
Under
Push
Under
Over

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

O/U for BMat:

IP: Over
ERA: Under
K rate: Over
BB rate: Under
Games Started: Over

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Pressure on Matusz to continue the early success of the O's starters.

Beyond that, you'd love to grab that initial victory vs. the Yankees, and see Matusz get his legs under him.

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm very anxious to see how Matusz performs against the Evil Empire tomorrow night.

#31 Big Mac

Big Mac
  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWilmington, DE

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

O/U for BMat:

Over
Under
Over
Under
Over
@s_sully91

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hard to find anything positive from Matusz' start tonight. The velocity was back up to 2010 levels, but everything else was just as bad as last year. He had no idea where the ball was going. One out of every five or six pitches was immediately wasted right out of his hand either way outside, way high, or only 55 feet. Had just absolutely no command of the ball and was utterly incapable of throwing anything below the waist.

An absolute disappointment from Matusz. He needs to right himself quickly, or else he needs to go down to AAA and remember how to throw. His ST stats certainly gave cause for optimism after last season's debacle, but he won't get more than 3-4 starts before getting a ticket to Norfolk if he continues to look like he did tonight.

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

VATech posted a good analysis over at OH.

I'll just add that Roy Halladay's first start, in mid-2001 coming up from the minors after his disaster in 2000, went 2 1/3 innings and he gave up six earned runs, walked three and struck out one. He struck out ten in his next start, gave up more than three runs and went less than six innings once each the rest of the way, and won the Cy Young two years later.

I'm giving it more than a start.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I commented plenty about Matusz in the game thread, and in the wrap-up; but I'll restate the thoughts here as well.

The physical difference in Matusz was obvious. MASN's Palmer was correct in stating that Matusz's stuff was obviously better than last year. It was not just the improved velocity, and movement; he was missing some bats, and his curve was better as well. He had a great change-up to Swisher. Matusz got behind too many hitters, and seemed to be overthrowing at-times. A lot of high and away fastballs. He went full with numerous hitters, and was not able to put those hitters away. He lasted just 4 innings, and threw 96 pitches. In his 4 innings, he allowed 6 hits, 4 er, 4 bb's, with 1 k. His stuff looked better than it did at any point last year, but that does not matter if he does not find the plate.

This is a guy that was drafted as a control pitcher. I'm sure he will again show the ability to throw multiple pitches for strikes, in multiple hitting zones. If he does that, with a return of his stuff; he should again find success.

I expect better results the next time out, and I do want to see that occur.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Camden Depot: Thoughts on Matusz's start
http://camdendepot.b...houghts-on.html

#36 RNL25

RNL25
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Matusz looked lost last night. He was plagued with inconsistency and his location definitely needed work. As others said, the velocity was where it should be, but you cannot get away with deep counts on the Yankees hitters. In my opinion, he was lucky he escaped with the little damage he did; especially with all the runners he kept allowing to reach base.

When Britton and Wada come back from injury, Matusz may again be demoted. I cannot recall but I am fairly sure he has options remaining. Until then, he will get a few more starts to show if maybe last night was an aberration. He is still young, which is why I refuse to completely give up on him.
@RandyLerman
@OriolesBB
@MDSportsBlog

#37 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I hope that Matusz' velocity isn't back as a product of sacrificing command. He elevated his fastball all night. Either he was trying to ramp it up and kept losing it, or he wasn't finishing his pitches, or some combination of the two. I'm not an expert, so tough to say. He was definitely 100% lost out there.

@AdamWolff

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I hope that Matusz' velocity isn't back as a product of sacrificing command. He elevated his fastball all night. Either he was trying to ramp it up and kept losing it, or he wasn't finishing his pitches, or some combination of the two. I'm not an expert, so tough to say. He was definitely 100% lost out there.

I don't think the velocity being higher was related to his lack of command. It certainly didn't seem like he was overthrowing, he just was out of whack and had no control over his pitches.

I expect him to improve next time out and get his command back near where it needs to be, hopefully remaining effective and in the rotation for the entire year. But he doesn't have a lot of rope to work with. Another 2-3 starts like Monday night and he has to be sent back to Norfolk to figure things out there.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Let's go Matusz. A strong start, and an O's sweep tomorrow would be sweet.

#40 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

@Britt_Ghiroli Matusz thru 2 starts 2012: 9 2/3 IP, 13 H, 9 ER, 8 BBs, 5 Ks. 8.38 ERA.

Ugh, that's rough. Granted, Gregg didn't help him out any by surrendering two extra runs today.

Walks are going to kill you, and that 5/8 k:bb ratio is horrendous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=