28 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:37 PM

This seems like big news.  I don't know anything about Fubo, but it looks like you'll be able to stream MASN.

Fubo expands position as home for local sports with MASN carriage agreement - Blog (masnsports.com)

fubo - Watch Live Sports & TV Without Cable | Try Free

#2 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

This is bleeping *HUGE* news. 

Hoping they didn't include an exclusive agreement so that YouTubeTV, HuluTV, et al are next. If not, I'll sign up for Fubo. 

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:05 PM

Fubo also has MLB network which I haven’t been able to watch since DTV dropped them

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:10 PM

Can you record (or start from beginning) on Fubo? Which package and what's it cost? Strongly considering cutting if I can stream MASN.

#5 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:23 PM

Can you record (or start from beginning) on Fubo? Which package and what's it cost? Strongly considering cutting if I can stream MASN.

All plans have 1000 hours of cloud DVR, so as long as you set the game to record, you'll be able to back up the live content. 

Definitely curious if this will be on the pro or elite plan. Either way, I'm happy with this news. 

ETA - Just got off the phone with support. It'll be on the Pro & Elite plans. 

So basically it will cost $80/mo for the pro, and $90/mo for the elite plan. $20 discount for the first month. Apparently it will be available before the start of the MLB season.

I'll hold off on subscribing until I know more about whether or not YouTubeTV is going to sign a similar deal. Cuz then I wouldn't have to switch. 

Hell yes. I'm going to have a pour or two tonight to celebrate this news!

• Mackus likes this

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:56 PM

FWIW Directv stream has had MASN but their customer service is so horrificly horrific I cannot endorse them in good conscience

@bopper33

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 05:57 PM

All plans have 1000 hours of cloud DVR, so as long as you set the game to record, you'll be able to back up the live content.

Definitely curious if this will be on the pro or elite plan. Either way, I'm happy with this news.

ETA - Just got off the phone with support. It'll be on the Pro & Elite plans.

So basically it will cost $80/mo for the pro, and $90/mo for the elite plan. $20 discount for the first month. Apparently it will be available before the start of the MLB season.

I'll hold off on subscribing until I know more about whether or not YouTubeTV is going to sign a similar deal. Cuz then I wouldn't have to switch.

Hell yes. I'm going to have a pour or two tonight to celebrate this news!

What’s the plan that basically has all the sports channels including MLB network? That’s the one for me

@bopper33

#8 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 06:04 PM

What’s the plan that basically has all the sports channels including MLB network? That’s the one for me

That's going to be the 'elite' plan. If we go the elite plan, we'll probably axe one of the streaming platforms we are currently paying for so that we break even. Which means yeah, Peacock will be getting the axe. Or Paramount+, but I'm a Star Trek nerd so Paramount is probably safe. 

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 March 2024 - 06:18 PM

I've heard rumors that a MASN streaming app is coming..

#10 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 06:19 PM

I've heard rumors that a MASN streaming app is coming..

New ownership can do absolutely the bare minimum and still make MASN a better product than it was with Angelos.

#11 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 March 2024 - 06:22 PM

New ownership can do absolutely the bare minimum and still make MASN a better product than it was with Angelos.

This app was already in the works

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 March 2024 - 10:30 PM

Just as a heads-up from someone who had fubo in the past, they'll usually tack on an extra $20-$30/month in taxes and fees for each plan. They also don't have any of the Turner networks, so be prepared with an alternative option when March Madness rolls around since you won't get TBS, TNT, etc.

As far as I know, fubo and DirecTV Stream are the only streaming services to partner with RSNs so YTTV, Hulu, etc. are almost certainly not getting MASN.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 07:17 AM

Fubo to Add MASN For Orioles & Nats - Should You Drop DIRECTV Stream? - The TV Answer Man!

#14 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:03 AM

Just as a heads-up from someone who had fubo in the past, they'll usually tack on an extra $20-$30/month in taxes and fees for each plan. They also don't have any of the Turner networks, so be prepared with an alternative option when March Madness rolls around since you won't get TBS, TNT, etc.

As far as I know, fubo and DirecTV Stream are the only streaming services to partner with RSNs so YTTV, Hulu, etc. are almost certainly not getting MASN.

Right, but the reason DirecTV Stream was able to deliver their product is because they were already a satellite TV provider. I would think the fact MASN granted a license to Fubo reflects a change in philosophy. In other words, why would MASN limit themselves to Fubo, if their intent is to extend their footprint into the streaming world?

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:38 AM

Right, but the reason DirecTV Stream was able to deliver their product is because they were already a satellite TV provider. I would think the fact MASN granted a license to Fubo reflects a change in philosophy. In other words, why would MASN limit themselves to Fubo, if their intent is to extend their footprint into the streaming world?

Sure, but my point was more that YTTV and Hulu haven’t shown any interest in getting into the RSN game nationwide. The only ones they’ve ever had are the NBC Sports RSNs. fubo, on the other hand, has been very aggressive in acquiring RSN licenses.

So I’d assume that, on the off-chance that they were to enter that arena in the future, MASN would be one of the last they’d go after since it covers just two teams in one sport.
@BSLZackKiesel

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:39 AM

If the price is the same as having cable or DTV, I guess I don't understand why this is such a big deal. What's the big advantage, now you can watch baseball on your Apple watch?   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:42 AM

If the price is the same as having cable or DTV, I guess I don't understand why this is such a big deal. What's the big advantage, now you can watch baseball on your Apple watch?   

I'm paying $104 for Fios TV with two boxes and DVR (plus more for internet and some streaming services).  I doubt I'll cut for only a $15 savings a month.  But if it were $25-30 a month less...

Pretty much the only thing I watch on regular TV anymore is sports.  We're not currently into any shows that aren't streaming and my kids are fine with Disney/Netflix/YouTube etc.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:41 AM

I'm paying $104 for Fios TV with two boxes and DVR (plus more for internet and some streaming services).  I doubt I'll cut for only a $15 savings a month.  But if it were $25-30 a month less...

Pretty much the only thing I watch on regular TV anymore is sports.  We're not currently into any shows that aren't streaming and my kids are fine with Disney/Netflix/YouTube etc.

From what Zack mentioned, Fubo would actually be more expensive than what you're currently paying, after they tack on their extra fees. 

My decision to cut the cord, was based entirely on the fact that I was paying $80/month just to watch the O's. But if cost isn't a factor, I suppose there are other advantages to streaming vs a cord. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#19 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

Sure, but my point was more that YTTV and Hulu haven’t shown any interest in getting into the RSN game nationwide. The only ones they’ve ever had are the NBC Sports RSNs. fubo, on the other hand, has been very aggressive in acquiring RSN licenses.

So I’d assume that, on the off-chance that they were to enter that arena in the future, MASN would be one of the last they’d go after since it covers just two teams in one sport.

YouTube TV recently added Monumental Sports DC/MD/VA RSN to their regular tier, and the fact Fubo now offers MASN would perhaps compel YT TV and Hulu to add them under similar terms to block any defection to the Fubo platform.

#20 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 01:10 PM

I love how all of these streaming services are just recreating cable TV - just with a less efficient distributed-node service that offers minimal cost benefit and selection options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=