https://www.baltimor...m_content=alert

#102 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 02:57 PM

Still not very confident with the Bradish news.

Having a healthy Means back in April would be a huge relief. Apparently not an elbow health concern, which is huge.

#103 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 03:02 PM

Thing I hate most about the Bradish thing is - the longer they delay the more it'll push back his return.

#104 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 03:11 PM

Thing I hate most about the Bradish thing is - the longer they delay the more it'll push back his return.

I think a decision will be before the end of spring training whether to go forward or shut him down completely. 

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 03:31 PM

Yes but the more they delay, it means they're retaining optimism for a non-surgical treatment and the more likely it is he won't need surgery. They aren't stupid. They know that waiting pushes back the potential return date if surgery is the ultimate outcome. But anything you can do to avoid surgery is worth it, as it's still below 100% success rate for any return at all, without considering exactly quality of performance once you have returned. Hard to take any "just cut him now" opinions seriously (quoting your post was not meant to imply this is your take, talking generally). I get the fatalism, but I don't get it as an actual suggested course of action.

#106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 03:33 PM

I think a decision will be before the end of spring training whether to go forward or shut him down completely. 

I was thinking end of April, assuming it was late January that he had the PRP.  If the throwing program goes poorly or turns a small strain into a larger tear (or multiple tears), then certainly could see a pivot to surgery much quicker.  

#107 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

I was thinking end of April, assuming it was late January that he had the PRP.  If the throwing program goes poorly or turns a small strain into a larger tear (or multiple tears), then certainly could see a pivot to surgery much quicker.  

Certainly no longer than that. The worst-case scenario is for Bradish to make a couple of starts, get shut down again, then try and rehab his way through it, and end up needing surgery as the season is winding down. That would effectively shelve his 2025 season as well.

#108 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:17 PM

Certainly no longer than that. The worst-case scenario is for Bradish to make a couple of starts, get shut down again, then try and rehab his way through it, and end up needing surgery as the season is winding down. That would effectively shelve his 2025 season as well.

I would think you just get one chance to do the rest only route. If he needs to get shut down again at any point you just do the surgery.

Also it goes without saying but it's also helpful to say it--they have a ton more info than we do. They have MRIs, they know what exactly is wrong and what the chances are based on that, they have an idea if there really is hope or if it's a Hail Mary. Like Mack said they aren't dumb, they don't want to waste his 2025 for nothing either.

• mdrunning likes this

#109 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:13 PM

My take is outrageous. My projection, ridiculous. I get it. Very unlikely to meet such ceilings and would have to wait 15 years to see if he's putting up Mantle numbers, repeatedly. He probably won't be, different eras and all. My Mantle take is more based on his power while being a switch hitter.

However, he has the power to hit 40 homers, and he has the speed to steal 40 bases, so...? We just saw a guy go 40/70 last year. Base stealing is back.

Why is he ranked so low? Injury? Maybe his fielding is suspect? I don't know.

No one is a lock to be anything. Scouts get stuff wrong all the time. Mike Trout was not baseballs #1 prospect. He was drafted in 25th and when he debuted, Harper was the Baseball America #1 prospect. Trout currently leads Mantle in OPS+ by 1 point and could eclipse him in career WAR in about 4 years, at which point Trout and Mantle will have both been 36 y/o.

Dominguez has been a household name for the last 4 years. Signed a record setting contract at 16 y/o. Basallo, not so much.

Dominguez has been incredibly overrated since the day he signed with the Yankees lol. He will probably be a good player but he doesn’t have 40 HR power and he’s not likely to have 40 SB speed for very long as he continues to bulk. His best trait is his batting eye. Basallo is heads and shoulders a better prospect.
  • makoman likes this

#110 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:37 PM

Dominguez has been incredibly overrated since the day he signed with the Yankees lol. He will probably be a good player but he doesn’t have 40 HR power and he’s not likely to have 40 SB speed for very long as he continues to bulk. His best trait is his batting eye. Basallo is heads and shoulders a better prospect.

If signing bonus and name recognition at signing was all that mattered Victor Victor Mesa would probably be going for his 2nd or 3rd MVP by now.

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:49 PM

Dominguez also had his first bowman come out during the pandemic when everyone was buying cards out of boredom. That and being a Yankee prospect inflated his value tremendously.

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if NYY traded him for guys who can help them win now. Being patient and grooming prospects isn’t really their thing
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#112 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:51 PM

lol a Dominguez first bowman chrome psa 10 is like $60 on eBay. How the mighty have fallen
  • BobPhelan likes this

@bopper33

#113 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 02:50 PM

lol a Dominguez first bowman chrome psa 10 is like $60 on eBay. How the mighty have fallen

I so wish I could have flipped more cards 3 years ago. Sold a prospect #/50 for $250 and the guy never got out of high A and is out of baseball now.
  • BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#114 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:18 PM

Has anyone heard any update on him? At the beginning of camp we were getting frequent updates, but nothing lately, which leads me to believe pain has resumed. Yes conclusions have been jumped!!

#115 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:34 PM

Has anyone heard any update on him? At the beginning of camp we were getting frequent updates, but nothing lately, which leads me to believe pain has resumed. Yes conclusions have been jumped!!

He was throwing 140 feet on the 5th, haven’t seen anything since. But that’s pretty recent.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:55 PM

Its hard not to think that no news isn't good news.

#117 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 05:17 PM

Its hard not to think that no news isn't good news.

The ol’ triple negative!
  • Dr. FLK likes this

@bopper33

#118 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:07 PM

I'd say no news is good news. No news of any further setbacks or doctor visits.
  • Mackus and makoman like this

#119 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:24 PM

I don't think there is margin for any setbacks, if something goes awry with the elbow after the PHP then it'll just be surgery.

#120 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 March 2024 - 08:11 PM

The ol’ triple negative!

How about .....This is bad.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users