153 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:35 AM

He's a switch hitter who will probably have 40/40 season, maybe even a 50/40 season before he ages out of the speed element.

Jasson Dominguez Scouting Report - Is The Hype Real? (prospects1500.com)

Not just my opinion. Others feel the same. (Article from 2021)

"Probably has a 40/40 season" and "he's going to be Mickey Mantle" seem like wild projections.  Only 5 guys ever have done 40/40 but Dominguez is a better than even money bet to do it?  If he was, he'd be rated #1 by every prospect evaluator in the world.

He's got tons of tools and room to grow, but that's a big expectation to hang around anyone.

#82 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:47 AM

If this kid Dominguez is indeed the next Mickey Mantle, I'm buying tickets for the first time he comes to Baltimore since I never saw "The Mick" play. But until that time, I'll take these projections with a grain of salt since the Yankees always seem to have a flavor-of-the-month when it comes to prospects. Other than Aaron Judge, obviously, most of them wind up getting traded and never pan out for their new teams.

This guy could be the next Mantle. Or he could just be the latest in a long line of over-hyped Yankee prospects.

#83 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:48 AM

He's a switch hitter who will probably have 40/40 season, maybe even a 50/40 season before he ages out of the speed element.

If he was a lock to be Mickey Mantle, he would be ranked number one by every single prognosticator in the industry. Bryce Harper was literally rated number one by every prognosticator in the industry, and he's not Mantle either.

I'm not saying he can't be very good. I'm not even saying he can't be a top 10 to 15 all-time player. But assuming that's his outcome is taking a massive leap.
  • makoman likes this

#84 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:53 AM

In a related story, Jackson Holliday will be A-Rod without steroids.

#85 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:32 AM

Means is chinaware and there's no way I can envision him ever pitching an entire season, even if he does make his way back.  Sometimes, they just don't ever recover from the surgery.  As far as Bradish goes, once you've sprained that ligament, Tommy John is right around the corner.  Good luck trying to keep him on the mound. 

That's more or less my take as well. I'm sure there have been exceptions, but these types of injuries typically end one way.

#86 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:35 AM

You aren't seriously holding onto a 2021 article for that assessment, are you?  You linked an article written by a 17 year old. 

He may be great, the debut was excellent, but he was only a good performer in the minors with an ~.800ish OPS.  Nobody in the minors has a 40-40 projection and he's not #1.

The discussion was around Spencer Jones who was ranked ahead of Dominguez in their 2023 ranking, although it looks like Dominguez will be ahead of him on the 2024 list. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#87 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

It's odd to me that you had this opinion on Basallo in his thread, yet Dominguez is basically probably going to be Mickey Mantle. Just replace the names and you can say the same thing.

Sure, Basallo. Is the 40th something prospect in baseball, Stowers wasn’t. Whatever. I seem to remember a guy named Yusniel Diaz who was also ranked as high or better. How did that go?

Basallo could very well be the next Babe Ruth. He could also be the next Yusniel Diaz.

• mweb08 and Mackus like this

#88 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:59 AM

The O's are not about to say anything real long term about Bradish. If they came right out and said its likely season ending then the cost for any potential trade or signing would just go through the roof. 

• weird-O likes this

#89 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:07 PM

The O's are not about to say anything real long term about Bradish. If they came right out and said its likely season ending then the cost for any potential trade or signing would just go through the roof. 

While I agree there may be some subterfuge, I don't think he'd be throwing today if he was clearly out for the year either. So it's probably not worst case. Doesn't mean he won't be ruled out at some point. 

I also think it will be telling if they go out and sign one of the lesser FA options in the next little bit.

#90 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:21 PM

That's more or less my take as well. I'm sure there have been exceptions, but these types of injuries typically end one way.

I feel the same way. What else is Elias supposed to say? They did the same thing with Bautista. They should be planning on not having Bradish this season and maybe into next. This team is too good not to be thinking about the next move.

#91 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:24 PM

Totally fine rolling with Irvin as 5th starter than signing someone like Lorenzen or Ryu.

#92 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:56 PM

Totally fine rolling with Irvin as 5th starter than signing someone like Lorenzen or Ryu.

Me too but the question becomes what happens when the next guy goes down? Do you really think we will get much from Wells or Means?

#93 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:09 PM

Wells will be a solid starter. Everything with him is his durability as the seasons wears on.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#94 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:11 PM

Ill be surprised if we arent back in the SP market. We should be for sure.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and CantonJester like this

#95 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:20 PM

Just unreal how the pitchers today get injured at such an alarming rate.  At what point does the sport acknowledge the problem and start to train these guys differently from high school on up?  And I'm really sick to death of hearing about these frickin oblique injuries which I see Henderson has.  SMDH

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:34 PM

If there wasn't hope of rest & rehab they'd do the surgery to begin the recovery process. The only reason to delay is if they have reasonable hope of it working. Once that hope is gone, they'll do the surgery.

#97 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:36 PM

"Probably has a 40/40 season" and "he's going to be Mickey Mantle" seem like wild projections.  Only 5 guys ever have done 40/40 but Dominguez is a better than even money bet to do it?  If he was, he'd be rated #1 by every prospect evaluator in the world.

He's got tons of tools and room to grow, but that's a big expectation to hang around anyone.

My take is outrageous. My projection, ridiculous. I get it. Very unlikely to meet such ceilings and would have to wait 15 years to see if he's putting up Mantle numbers, repeatedly. He probably won't be, different eras and all. My Mantle take is more based on his power while being a switch hitter. 

However, he has the power to hit 40 homers, and he has the speed to steal 40 bases, so...? We just saw a guy go 40/70 last year. Base stealing is back. 

Why is he ranked so low? Injury? Maybe his fielding is suspect? I don't know. 

If he was a lock to be Mickey Mantle, he would be ranked number one by every single prognosticator in the industry. Bryce Harper was literally rated number one by every prognosticator in the industry, and he's not Mantle either.

I'm not saying he can't be very good. I'm not even saying he can't be a top 10 to 15 all-time player. But assuming that's his outcome is taking a massive leap.

No one is a lock to be anything. Scouts get stuff wrong all the time. Mike Trout was not baseballs #1 prospect. He was drafted in 25th and when he debuted, Harper was the Baseball America #1 prospect. Trout currently leads Mantle in OPS+ by 1 point and could eclipse him in career WAR in about 4 years, at which point Trout and Mantle will have both been 36 y/o. 

It's odd to me that you had this opinion on Basallo in his thread, yet Dominguez is basically probably going to be Mickey Mantle. Just replace the names and you can say the same thing.

Dominguez has been a household name for the last 4 years. Signed a record setting contract at 16 y/o. Basallo, not so much. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#98 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:53 PM

For a team projected to win 80 games? Sure, why not. But this team is projected to win 90+. The news this week is huge, because to maintain that 90+ win outlook, you need to bolster the rotation now. Especially given the arms out there for only money.

Yes, the mid-summer market may reveal better arms than a Lorenzen, Clevinger, et al. So what. They’ll also cost more, and the math will have changed on what the O’s expectations are. 

#99 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 02:25 PM

Wow! I’ll have whatever you’re having.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#100 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 02:36 PM

Wow! I’ll have whatever you’re having.

Cool.

@BSLMikeRandall