153 replies to this topic

#141 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:51 PM

I can’t say for sure, but feels like Wells would hold up better all year in the pen.

#142 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 April 2024 - 07:45 PM

I'd worry about the physical and mostly mental differences between starting and relieving. Hate to take a starter, mold him into a reliever, then mold him back next spring to a starter. Maybe its no big deal. Just doesn't sound like something I'd wanna see.

#143 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,939 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:12 PM

Awesome news. Rehab usually limited to 30 days; will be interesting to see when they officially start it. Team and player can agree to extend which may make sense in this case.

#144 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 11:54 AM

I don't want to start a bunch of replacement thoughts (but I will anyway) on these issues because I'm comfortable with them playing out a little While we know a lot externally (information), we don't have internal (like medicals). Recent Mike Elias comments say they are still expecting both to pitch meaningfully for the Orioles this year so that's good. We'll see.

FAs:
People talk about like like Montgomery and Snell (don't want Snell on the team) and there's guys like Lorenzen and Ryu....but they'll all likely not be options for different reasons.

If I was the agent for Zach Davies or Brad Keller, I'd be on the phone hours ago trying to put together a deal. Pending other info (Bradish related), it could be something like a split contract with a few more ML dollars on the roster with an opt out (like May 1) if he wants. These deals were more common in recent yers but (apparently) some of the rostering decisions have changed this (lower risk) approach for most teams.

On the trade front....there's actually lots of places to look.

2 for 1. The Angels have been connected to the higher end pitchers, but Tyler Anderson was bad for them in 2023. After a monster 2022 with the cross-town Dodgers, he's owed 13M this year (and next) and replacing him on the roster with a Snell or Montgomery could make sense for them. That's as easy as it gets if that's interesting. He's negative value so it only costs you cash (nice to think that's an option now)...but if you wanted to try a little more....Kremer is a CA guy and both him and Detmers are nearly identical in their performance/service profiles. While I like Kremer, I'd prefer the LHer for the Orioles. Even if the Angels prefer Detmers to Kremer, if you use Anderson as a carrot, that's probably in play.

Make Lemonade. The Washington Nationals would love to move Patrick Corbin. He may not be great (he was at one point) but he's taken the ball and logs innings. Like other players, if you believe you can find the most out of him, having another LHer in the Orioles rotation - with a good defense - could elevate his performance. He doesn't have to be great, getting anything close to League Average would be important. IF you were willing to take on some of the contract (injuries are a lemon, made some lemonade), there's certainly ways to leverage prospect value for the orioles. We can leave that discussion for later.

What's in the Cards. Steven Matz is another failed signing. If you think you like something about him....they'll use the kid they got from the Orioles last year and pay you half his contract to try him somewhere else.

Utterly wiling to wait until we see where these guys. Like our rotation a lot so totally good going with these guys if they're able, but if they aren't, there's no crying in Baseball....step up and figure out the next move. That's the job.

Went back through the Bradish thread to see everyones thoughts over time. Dude man. He truly is the gift that keeps on giving. The days he annoys me to no end with his incoherent takes I just need to go back and read some of the FA signings or trade proposals he puts forth. Good job on Detmers and Anderson for Kremer though. Oh, you mean that was the one that was unrealistic from the start. Well of course it was. Who in their right mind has ever thought Kremer was close to Detmers. And LAA needs someone to throw innings. They were just gonna throw in Anderson even if they thought he was washed. Showing this year hes not washed. Unlike Corbin, who dude has wanted for 3 years now and clearly is washed. Always brings the comic relief with the trade proposals and most FA signings. Thanks dude.

#145 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting if Dr. Phil could talk to Wile E Coyote. 

He'd be like...."...what are you so obsessed with? You spend all of this money on rocket skates and balloons and stuff and stuff and stuff and you always fail.  You've never got him and you aren't going to get him....so why do you keep trying?  If you just spent the money you spent on stupid stuff, you could eat for years, but you have no shot at your goal but you just can't help yourself.  Why?"

#146 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:38 PM

Just keep entertaining with the horrible roster management proposals. It doesnt make up for the incoherent slop you post but its some comedic relief.

#147 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:45 PM

Still amazing to me that you are an adult.

#148 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:44 PM

“ Make Lemonade. The Washington Nationals would love to move Patrick Corbin. He may not be great (he was at one point) but he's taken the ball and logs innings. Like other players, if you believe you can find the most out of him, having another LHer in the Orioles rotation - with a good defense - could elevate his performance. He doesn't have to be great, getting anything close to League Average would be important. IF you were willing to take on some of the contract (injuries are a lemon, made some lemonade), there's certainly ways to leverage prospect value for the orioles. We can leave that discussion for later.”

This wasn’t a good idea

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#149 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:56 PM

“ Make Lemonade. The Washington Nationals would love to move Patrick Corbin. He may not be great (he was at one point) but he's taken the ball and logs innings. Like other players, if you believe you can find the most out of him, having another LHer in the Orioles rotation - with a good defense - could elevate his performance. He doesn't have to be great, getting anything close to League Average would be important. IF you were willing to take on some of the contract (injuries are a lemon, made some lemonade), there's certainly ways to leverage prospect value for the orioles. We can leave that discussion for later.”

This wasn’t a good idea

It was an even worse idea in years past when he wanted to take on that contract for multiple years. Just let dudes roster management proposals entertain you. Its a his one minor redeeming quality as a baseball poster here.

#150 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 04:05 PM

This wasn’t a good idea

What if you used the need for a pitcher (injuries to Means and Bradish), the surplus of the Orioles and the desire for the Nationals to shed the contract to gather several prospects of the Nationals and get TB involved with those prospects to buy low on Shane McClanahan. 

The Orioles have been wildly successful turning poor results of players on other teams into better results in Baltimore.  I don't think Corbin is great or even good, but he threw 180 innings last year and if you just wanted to get some stability in the rotation, that's an option.  If there's energy in the transition to Baltimore, if they can tweak something, if pitching into a bigger LF shaves some ERA, then maybe he provides some value.

He's free if you want him to eat some innings (IF that was needed).

The contract allows you do do some other things IF you wanted.  If Shane McClanahan (a Baltimore kid) came back and replaced Burnes next year and new ownership was able to extend him, would that suddenly be a better idea?

We didn't know the details of the injuries to both Means and Bradish.  It's certainly possible that both would have been unavailable for the year which could have triggered discussions on other options.  That's what THIS was.  I'm good with the Orioles rotation. Don't need to discuss options if the prognosis was better than worse.

As I specifically said in what Wile E quoted, no issues waiting to see the results if the FO thinks/thought it wasn't season ending stuff.  Glad both Means and Bradish look like they'll be back shortly, hopefully they ramp up well. 

#151 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 04:38 PM

What if you used the need for a pitcher (injuries to Means and Bradish), the surplus of the Orioles and the desire for the Nationals to shed the contract to gather several prospects of the Nationals and get TB involved with those prospects to buy low on Shane McClanahan.

The Orioles have been wildly successful turning poor results of players on other teams into better results in Baltimore. I don't think Corbin is great or even good, but he threw 180 innings last year and if you just wanted to get some stability in the rotation, that's an option. If there's energy in the transition to Baltimore, if they can tweak something, if pitching into a bigger LF shaves some ERA, then maybe he provides some value.

He's free if you want him to eat some innings (IF that was needed).
The contract allows you do do some other things IF you wanted. If Shane McClanahan (a Baltimore kid) came back and replaced Burnes next year and new ownership was able to extend him, would that suddenly be a better idea?

We didn't know the details of the injuries to both Means and Bradish. It's certainly possible that both would have been unavailable for the year which could have triggered discussions on other options. That's what THIS was. I'm good with the Orioles rotation. Don't need to discuss options if the prognosis was better than worse.

As I specifically said in what Wile E quoted, no issues waiting to see the results if the FO thinks/thought it wasn't season ending stuff. Glad both Means and Bradish look like they'll be back shortly, hopefully they ramp up well.

See entertainmemt gold. Got a 3 team proposal in here too. Chefs kiss content. Rofl

#152 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 04:53 PM

See entertainmemt gold. Got a 3 team proposal in here too. Chefs kiss content. Rofl

You're trying to mock it, but if Elias did something like that, you'd be all over it.

Appears Bradish and Means will be back shortly so that's good.  

Right now, they need to figure out the roster moves to make space.  Let's see if they do anything creative.

#153 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,939 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:39 PM

Right now, they need to figure out the roster moves to make space. Let's see if they do anything creative.

Not much need to get too exotic. Ramirez DFA and Kimbrel to IL seems like an easy choice. Can get someone else up here for Kimbrel for a few days before needing Bradish/Means.

External additions would be great, but hard to find trading partners for late inning relief at this time of year. Even teams that are already out of it likely hold their guys until July to generate a bidding war.

#154 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:44 PM

Not much need to get too exotic. Ramirez DFA and Kimbrel to IL seems like an easy choice. Can get someone else up here for Kimbrel for a few days before needing Bradish/Means.

External additions would be great, but hard to find trading partners for late inning relief at this time of year. Even teams that are already out of it likely hold their guys until July to generate a bidding war.

Of course external additions are unrealistic. Well some waiver claims arent I guess but trades are. Not sure they do anything with Ramirez before tomorrow. They may. They should considering hes surely would go for Means or Bradish anyway. Get at least 1 fresh arm up here for Kimbrel. Hopefully a 2nd for Ramirez. Again, if youre not gonna use him against Oak then you arent gonna use him against NY unless the game is way out of hand. It will prob be Vespi for 1. Maybe Charles is the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=