142 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:17 PM

Bradish isn't dead yet.  Lets see how his throwing progresses.  Seems plausible to me that he's back in May or June if he can avoid surgery.

#42 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

Being a Baltimore/ Maryland sports fan is just an absolute kick in the nuts.

Burnes, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, Irvin/Means isn't the end of the world, but man, what a damper.

Really wanted Wells in the BP and can't trust him to stay healthy and productive for a full season.
  • 85Knight likes this

#43 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:52 PM

Unless they have reason to be super pessimistic about the rest & rehab approach for Bradish (which they might have depending on severity of tear), I think the play is to hope for best case outcomes and that both are back by mid-year and then if not, to use the deadline to fill the holes.

Not when you know now that Elias can go out and sign a Lorenzen or Ryu to replace Bradish in the rotation. If Bradish doesn’t require surgery, and Means is back in shape, then Kremer gets moved to the pen. 

#44 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:00 PM

Rather just stick with what we have than go out for Lorenzen or Ryu.

It's time for McDermott, Povich, or Johnson to step up. Be really nice if we got something from Johnson.

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:03 PM

Not when you know now that Elias can go out and sign a Lorenzen or Ryu to replace Bradish in the rotation. If Bradish doesn’t require surgery, and Means is back in shape, then Kremer gets moved to the pen.

No thanks. If they want to pony up for Montgomery or swing a trade for Luzardo or eve Cease, I'd love that, but don't think we need Lorenzen to get us to the deadline, and I'd want a better pitcher for the stretch run and postseason.

If I knew Bradish was out, I'd insist on one more arm and take whatever we can get, including Lorenzen or Ryu. But I'm not super interested in a mediocre addition at this point with Bradish's return still a possibility.
  • DuffMan likes this

#46 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:04 PM

It's time for McDermott, Povich, or Johnson to step up. Be really nice if we got something from Johnson.

The risk in waiting for the trade market to open up is that while, yes the O’s can out-prospect most other teams when seeking to acquire mid-season arms, it’s going to cost the O’s from the top of the deck, and it’s not like the arms that get tossed around in a few months are going to be realistically better than a Lorenzen, Clevinger or Ryu, particularly when they will only cost $. 

#47 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:06 PM

No thanks. If they want to pony up for Montgomery or swing a trade for Luzardo or eve Cease, I'd love that, but don't think we need Lorenzen to get us to the deadline, and I'd want a better pitcher for the stretch run and postseason.

If I knew Bradish was out, I'd insist on one more arm and take whatever we can get, including Lorenzen or Ryu. But I'm not super interested in a mediocre addition at this point with Bradish's return still a possibility.

Then move Lorenzen to the pen if Kremer’s upside supersedes his. The team still needs help in the pen. Not sure the trade route is optimal given the late date in the offseason and the O’s reporting this to the media.

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:12 PM

Johnson is the wildcard.

He was the main piece of the Mancini trade. He was apparently healthy at the end of last year and looked to have regained his stuff prior to his TJS. He only threw 10 innings last year so obviously can't expect much.

Really, we could still be in decent shape with Burnes, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, and Means if he can ever regain his health.

#49 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:14 PM

McDermott was also very good last year - and particularly good in a hitter friendly AAA. Threw 50 AAA innings last year. Shouldn't need much more time to see Baltimore.

#50 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:36 PM

Does any body really think he'll pitch this year? When was the last time you heard about some pitcher have an arm injury but not ending up needing TJ? 

• NewMarketSean likes this

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:36 PM

IMO you have to operate under the assumption that Bradish doesn’t pitch this year and Means isn’t ready until July. That means going out and signing a guy like Gibson or Lyles for one year but who can keep you in most games and eat innings. Asking a rookie to contribute on a contending team is a bit much. Besides we may need them if another guy gets hurt or doesn’t perform. I’d rather have depth than cross fingers and hope this is the end of the injury problems.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:37 PM

The risk in waiting for the trade market to open up is that while, yes the O’s can out-prospect most other teams when seeking to acquire mid-season arms, it’s going to cost the O’s from the top of the deck, and it’s not like the arms that get tossed around in a few months are going to be realistically better than a Lorenzen, Clevinger or Ryu, particularly when they will only cost $.

I can't recall a single trade deadline when there wasn't a pitcher better than Lorenzen or Ryu available.

#53 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:39 PM

Maybe they'll try again with Cease. 

I'm not sure how much credibility to give this, but I've seen at least one report that said the NYY reached out to Chi, and they insisted on the Yankees #1 prospect as a starting point. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#54 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:49 PM

It's not ideal, but we can absolutely still survive with Burnes, Rodriguez, Wells, Kremer, Irvin/Means.

A lot will depend on Rodriguez developing into the pitcher Bradish was in 2023.

It would also be nice if Kremer can return to 2022 level performance.

Wells is a very capable pitcher as we know, obviously durability as the season rolls in is an issue.

Irvin can be a serviceable 5th starter. He'll be needed for sure.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:50 PM

I'm not sure how much credibility to give this, but I've seen at least one report that said the NYY reached out to Chi, and they insisted on the Yankees #1 prospect as a starting point.

The Yankees #1 prospect would be #6 on the Orioles list.
  • weird-O likes this

#56 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, but that guy (OF Spencer Jones) is ranked in the 80s on the top 100.  Thank goodness NYY balked on that.

• weird-O likes this

#57 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:55 PM

I'd like to see all 3 of those guys start/finish a full, healthy, performing season at AAA.  Maybe you can use them for a spot start or in the bullpen for an IL stint, but I wouldn't use them in this grinder, today.

#58 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:59 PM

McDermott and Johnson are both 25, will turn 26 around the end of the season.

McDermott logged AAA innings last year. If he's showing some promise I'd give him a go of it.

Povich had a rough go of it in AAA, but I'd be willing to give him a look fairly early on depending on performance / how his stuff.

Johnson will be the obvious slow play as he's still working his way back from TJS.

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:00 PM

The Yankees #1 prospect would be #6 on the Orioles list.

Is Dominguez not a prospect anymore? Cause he'd be higher than that, IMO.

@BSLMikeRandall

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:02 PM

Is Dominguez not a prospect anymore? Cause he'd be higher than that, IMO.

He's #41 on MLB. O's have #1, #17, #19, #30, #32.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=