#61 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:40 PM

Any info on this Arougheti guy?

A billionaire and worthy sports owner in his own right based on what I’ve been able to see.

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:47 PM

Im not saying we are ever gonna be a big buyer but the lack of any long term deals or extensions. 100% believe this all played a big part of that

If that were the case, then Angelos also would not have done the lease with the state. That affects the franchise's valuation a lot more than player payroll. Long term contracts to employees typically have little to do with the valuation of a pro sports franchise. The exception would be if the franchise was having to take on debt to pay those long term contracts, and given what the O's payroll has been, it would be shocking if that were the case.

And for sure nothing about an ownership change is standing in the way of Elias making a trade.

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:48 PM

A billionaire and worthy sports owner in his own right based on what I’ve been able to see.

Is a Marylander? How old is he??  Rubey is 74. Im assuming he'd be the likeliest guy to eventually buy out his stake. 

#64 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:58 PM

My interest is piqued.

#65 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:59 PM

Been saying it for a couple years now, the salary purge that started when John got control was always about just cutting expenses and putting more money in his own pocket. Nothing more, nothing less, no hidden secret game plan... just spending less and keeping more, while making the franchise more attractive to potential buyers with bare minimum long term salary commitments. It's like a clean slate, leaving it to the next owners to decide how they want to spend, but not inheriting anything significant player "debt".
  • SonicAttack likes this

#66 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:04 PM

Been saying it for a couple years now, the salary purge that started when John got control was always about just cutting expenses and putting more money in his own pocket. Nothing more, nothing less, no hidden secret game plan... just spending less and keeping more, while making the franchise more attractive to potential buyers with bare minimum long term salary commitments. It's like a clean slate, leaving it to the next owners to decide how they want to spend, but not inheriting anything significant player "debt".

But in fairness, Angelos did hire Elias and the Orioles have invested heavily in the Latin American market since that time. Angelos has run a shoestring operation, to be sure, but this isn't the Oakland A's.

#67 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:09 PM

And suddenly the Ravens tanking Sunday isn't on my mind at all!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#68 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:10 PM

And suddenly the Ravens tanking Sunday isn't on my mind at all!

Agreed, I feel the same way. It had been an awful week until a couple hours ago.

#69 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:13 PM

I'll say it hopefully just one last time, because we're hopefully moving on to a world without John Angelos very very soon... but Elias was a gift to the fans from God and plain dumb luck. John didn't really care whether the team won in 3 years or 30 years under the Elias system. He was the perfect fit for John's true personal goal, cost cutting above all. And the investment in player development is great, but pales in comparison to the cost of paying a good roster full of proven major league players market value contracts. Again, it fit the John Angelos life goal doctrine.

They did some good for Baltimore, great. I don't actually despise Peter, I think he cared a little more about winning than John... he just had little to no clue about how to do it consistently. He became jaded over time, and then incapacitated in the end. John however is pond scum. Lying, fraudulent, pond scum. Always has been, always will be. So good riddance.
  • You Play to Win the Game and weird-O like this

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:16 PM

I'll say it hopefully just one last time, because we're hopefully moving on to a world without John Angelos very very soon... but Elias was a gift to the fans from God and plain dumb luck. John didn't really care whether the team won in 3 years or 30 years under the Elias system. He was the perfect fit for John's true personal goal, cost cutting above all. And the investment in player development is great, but pales in comparison to the cost of paying a good roster full of proven major league players market value contracts. Again, it fit the John Angelos life goal doctrine.

They did some good for Baltimore, great. I don't actually despise Peter, I think he cared a little more about winning than John... he just had little to no clue about how to do it consistently. He became jaded over time, and then incapacitated in the end. John however is pond scum. Lying, fraudulent, pond scum. Always has been, always will be. So good riddance.

Which is funny because whether you are right or wrong about your 1st paragraph the fact is John's decision to hire Mike put the Os in a position like it never was under Peter because John got the F out of the way and didnt mettle. And he knocked the hire out of the park whether it was all luck he still hit a damn HR. So give me John every day over Pete. Especially knowing now that John was the one who made the sale. I have more to thank John for than I do Peter. 

#71 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:18 PM

It's like a clean slate, leaving it to the next owners to decide how they want to spend, but not inheriting anything significant player "debt".

Again, that does not enhance the value of the franchise, at all. If Rubenstein was going to get squeamish over a payroll around $100-$120M to the point of wanting a discount on the sale price, then we should all be asking ourselves if this is really something worth celebrating. Now if the Orioles were having to take out loans to meet payroll, then yes, that would lower the value. But I refuse to believe they couldn't afford that level of player payroll (like they did in the prior decade).

You hit the point at the start of your post....John is just a cheap ass mofo who was taking profits for him and the family for whatever reason.

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:27 PM

Any info on this Arougheti guy?

His PE partner is the majority owner of the Atlanta Hawks. Whether Arougheti also has a stake in them I do not know.

#73 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:35 PM

Is a Marylander? How old is he?? Rubey is 74. Im assuming he'd be the likeliest guy to eventually buy out his stake.

New Yorker. But I agree he seems like the successor.

#74 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:37 PM

I had heard that the new lease was contingent on new ownership.
  • Mike B and SonicAttack like this

#75 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:45 PM

Id also like to think Rubey bought in now when its obvious the Os are legit contenders to try to win a ring. In my dreams thats how this plays out. He comes in and goes balls to the wall during this window

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:47 PM

I had heard that the new lease was contingent on new ownership.

Which means one of two things...either whoever it was in the media (I've forgotten) that reported John called Wes Moore after that Bloomberg article to say the Orioles were not for sale got some bad info from their source, or John blatantly lied to the governor in the middle of the lease negotiation.

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:49 PM

First move give Blake Snell $800 million

How about Andrew Suarez to a MiL deal instead?

#78 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:52 PM

From Andy Kostka:

As @sunjeffbarker first reported, MASN is included in a deal to transfer to Rubenstein, a source confirmed to the Banner. There isn't a change in the structure yet between the Orioles and Nationals
  • BSLMikeLowe, weird-O and SonicAttack like this

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:56 PM

From Andy Kostka:

As @sunjeffbarker first reported, MASN is included in a deal to transfer to Rubenstein, a source confirmed to the Banner. There isn't a change in the structure yet between the Orioles and Nationals

That's interesting, because when I saw the $1.725 valuation that seemed a little low to me considering what pro sports franchises are going for nowadays, and my first assumption was it didn't include MASN. I'm definitely glad MASN is part of the deal, but I'd have thought with that the price would be north of $2B.

• dude likes this

#80 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 10:03 PM

I like Ourand. But literally no other MLB reporter is discussing this. Not even anyone local

ESPN is reporting it https://www.espn.com...ty-billionaires

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=