#61 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2024 - 04:46 PM

I think maybe you're confusing strong disagreement for disinterest, but I don't recall all the details of the wall discussion.

You’re lucky
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#62 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 06:59 PM

The next post highlights all of my expectations for the 2024 draft. What I mean in terms of the "profile" of the draft.

Tell you what, while I don't really care and it doesn't matter, if you care, let's take it to PM and I'll be as specific as you want.

Offer for Mackus too.

Sounds top secret. I don't need to know that badly.
  • BaltBird 24 and dude like this

#63 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 11:07 AM

So wait, all the cryptic posts and Socratic Method questions were supposed to lead us to John Angelos interfering in the drafts? 

#64 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 01:06 PM

So wait, all the cryptic posts and Socratic Method questions were supposed to lead us to John Angelos interfering in the drafts? 

You’re never going to get a straight answer. Why torture yourself? Lol

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 10:31 AM

ESPN+: Mock Draft

https://www.espn.com...ction-guardians

22. Orioles

Carson Benge, CF, Oklahoma State

Benge and Cameron Smith are the two college bats in this range who I think it is easiest to imagine fixing/adjusting their swings to succeed in the pros, and both of them come with the upside you'd normally find only in the prep ranks. Benge is a plus runner who also has a plus arm (he has been clocked into the mid-90s on the mound) along with strong underlying hitting metrics, so it is believed he won't get past this pick given his fit to Baltimore's historical prospect type. Kaelen Culpepper comes up here, as does Waldschmidt, along with Honeycutt and Kellon Lindsey, though they may be more likely to fit at pick 32.

#66 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 04:06 PM

ESPN+: Mock Draft
https://www.espn.com...ction-guardians

22. Orioles

Benge and Cameron Smith are the two college bats in this range who I think it is easiest to imagine fixing/adjusting their swings to succeed in the pros, and both of them come with the upside you'd normally find only in the prep ranks. Benge is a plus runner who also has a plus arm (he has been clocked into the mid-90s on the mound) along with strong underlying hitting metrics, so it is believed he won't get past this pick given his fit to Baltimore's historical prospect type. Kaelen Culpepper comes up here, as does Waldschmidt, along with Honeycutt and Kellon Lindsey, though they may be more likely to fit at pick 32.

Sounds a lot like Cowser but maybe not as hitterish.

#67 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 May 2024 - 05:06 PM

22. Orioles

Haven't paid a lot of attention, but ran throguh the top200 or so the other day and Benge seems like a good O's type candidate player.

Not to go through the rest of it (maybe later) but UVA has a lot of interesting guys.

#68 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:08 PM

Carson Benge. Sounds like an accounting firm. Or an expensive cigar.

#69 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 10:44 AM

My wish list if available at 22.

1. Brody Brecht RHP C
2. Theo Gillen SS/2B/CF B-L. T-R. HS
3. Kellon Lindsey (SS). B-R. T-R. HS

Brecht probably gone by then although some mocks have him around that spot. Gillen is mocked to us in some drafts. Lindsey is mocked to the Rays at 18 by Law but after 22 by nearly everyone else.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 11:39 AM

CBS Sports: Mock Draft

https://www.cbssport...ut-of-top-five/

#71 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 June 2024 - 11:14 AM

Recent Pipeline Mock (13 JUN)

Os at 22: Caleb Lomavita / C

Could certainly see someone like that.  I don't think "taking a catcher" has anything to do with Adley especially for a profile like Lomavita.  Bat speed and athleticism give him a little more profile versatility and the Orioles seem to want to get to the tools.  Lomavita at #33 on Pipeline, so it could a bit of a discount to play with later (~1M diff between #22 and #33). 

Interesting that a guy like Vance Honeycutt/CF (#20, been getting popped above that) is getting a little shade for his hit tool.

#72 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 June 2024 - 01:48 PM

No freaking way I am taking a C with our first pick. I get the whole best guy available but you can overdo that. A catcher is only ever going to catch, be a DH, or maybe 1B. Craig Biggio aside. Unless you plan to move on from Adley or Basalo no thanks. And while I am ranting could we get a rh hitting OFer. 😋

#73 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 June 2024 - 03:08 PM

No freaking way I am taking a C with our first pick. I get the whole best guy available but you can overdo that. A catcher is only ever going to catch, be a DH, or maybe 1B. Craig Biggio aside. Unless you plan to move on from Adley or Basalo no thanks. And while I am ranting could we get a rh hitting OFer.

The Orioles don't need a single player out of this draft to do something on the ML roster before 2030.  

This draft should only be about taking the quality guys you want and developing them in the system to build prospect value. IF you wind up using them or swapping out an existing guy later, cool, but certainly not projected/required.

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:14 PM

No freaking way I am taking a C with our first pick. I get the whole best guy available but you can overdo that. A catcher is only ever going to catch, be a DH, or maybe 1B. Craig Biggio aside. Unless you plan to move on from Adley or Basalo no thanks. And while I am ranting could we get a rh hitting OFer.

We'll see. They have a glut of IFs right now, but could flip a couple at the deadline to really bolster the present team. Same if they are heavy on C in the system down the road. So yeah, take the BPA.

• weird-O likes this

#75 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,595 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:28 PM

BPA and worry about the rest later.
  • weird-O likes this

#76 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 June 2024 - 06:01 PM

We've debated this before and I should clarify. If it gets to your turn and it's clear that player X is the BPA then by all means go that direction. But I also believe that in most situations it's not that cut and dried and positional need should be a factor...a good sized one.

#77 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,595 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 08:07 PM

Don't think positional need is nearly as important in baseball as say football, basketball, or hockey. Orioles have focused a lot on guys who have the athleticism to play up the middle and move elsewhere when necessary.
  • Mackus likes this

#78 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 06:26 AM

I don’t know anything about Caleb Lomavita but I see 12 walks against 43 strikeouts, a .322 avg (not particularly high for college) and 5’11, and say “please, no!”.

BTW, Baseball America did their latest mock draft and HS SS/2B/CF Theo Gillen was matched to us. A big athletic kid with speed and power. Give me some of that. They had RHP Brody Brecht going #27 to the Phil’s. On talent alone, I think Brecht is top ten in this draft. I don’t even expect him to be around at #22. If he is, I would love the Orioles to gamble on that arm and go with highest HS player on their board at #32.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,184 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 06:51 AM

I dont know how the board is stacking up but my gut says they go HS. Obviously, how things play out in front of them could be a factor but I just think they go bigger upside with a HS talent. Of course, they could draft an underslot college guy at 22 and draft the HS guy at 32. Either way Im expecting a HS guy with one of their first 2 picks

#80 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2024 - 07:07 AM

I want Brody Brecht or Carson Benge with the 22nd pick and Carter Johnson with the 32nd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=