1528 replies to this topic

#41 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2023 - 04:32 PM

Who is the trade target? What are the giving up?

If I knew that I’d have a job with the team.

Let’s say Corbin Burnes in a trade centered around Norby. He has one year left tho so maybe a Mariners SP instead. Gilbert for Hays, Norby, and Ortiz.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 04:39 PM

Let’s say Corbin Burnes in a trade centered around Norby. He has one year left tho so maybe a Mariners SP instead. Gilbert for Hays, Norby, and Ortiz.

You're hired!

• BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:13 PM

The Brewers contended this year. I don't think they trade either guy (Burnes or Woodruff).

Again, I just don't think they do anything of substance. They've had chances. Many chances. When people tell you who they are, believe them.
  • weird-O likes this

#44 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:19 PM

Who is the trade target? What are the giving up?

I'd see what type of pitcher a package centered around Coby Mayo could fetch. Mayo is a bopper, but his power is to LF. 

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:23 PM

The Brewers contended this year. I don't think they trade either guy (Burnes or Woodruff).

Again, I just don't think they do anything of substance. They've had chances. Many chances. When people tell you who they are, believe them.

The Brewers buy and sell all the time. I think at least one of them will be dealt (Burnes/Woodruff).

#46 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 08:30 PM

The Brewers buy and sell all the time. I think at least one of them will be dealt (Burnes/Woodruff).

Even if they do, the Orioles don't.

Should they trade for one? Absolutely. They have shown no evidence they will.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but I'm sorry, I don't know how to have hope they'll do something they've never done.

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2023 - 09:54 PM

There’s a certain innocence and lightness to baseball without expectations. I’m grieving that right now, too. That era is over. Now come the expectations, and to a degree almost adds a “so what” to regular season accomplishments. Almost, but not really because watching winning baseball for 6 months in and of itself is a treasure. But nothing is guaranteed.
  • Mashed Potatoes and makoman like this

#48 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 10:20 PM

There’s a certain innocence and lightness to baseball without expectations. I’m grieving that right now, too. That era is over. Now come the expectations, and to a degree almost adds a “so what” to regular season accomplishments. Almost, but not really because watching winning baseball for 6 months in and of itself is a treasure. But nothing is guaranteed.

Well said. This is very true.

#49 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 07:25 AM

I get that Kremer’s under team control over the next several seasons, but until he develops an out pitch and cuts his 4.51 FIP down significantly, he should not be viewed as anything other than a back of the rotation arm. Maybe he can just focus on a couple pitches and his future lies in the pen (if he can gain better control of them). 

He needs that nasty 2 strike pitch to stop going 3-2 after he tries to hit the corners.

#50 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 07:33 AM

He needs that nasty 2 strike pitch to stop going 3-2 after he tries to hit the corners.

Obviously the majors are a different beast, but Kremer averaged almost 11 K/9 in the minors. We don’t talk much about him moving to the pen but I wonder if his stuff would tick up just enough to make a big difference. His problem really does seem to be lack of an out pitch, so a slight stuff increase could be a big deal.
  • Steve55 likes this

#51 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 07:46 AM

Nothing of substance reguarding money will be done until Pete dies and his wife sells the team. They won't sign a FA pitcher that wants more than Gibson. They might as well bring him back.

They won't trade for an expensive bat. They could extend Adley next season, and Gunner in 25. Then they walk in their 30's unless the team changes hands. 

Their biggest problem in trades is every team asks for Holiday. Do they hang up the phone right away .? We'll offer you Hays and 2 of our highly players. No, we want Holiday. Click.

#52 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 October 2023 - 08:40 AM

Couple of thoughts after reading through this.

1. its a big misnomer that the O's are a young team. They aren't they are pretty middle of the pack. It gets overshadowed by the two big stars being Adley and Gunnar.

2. There is zero reason the O's can't obtain a front end starter this offseason. If you want to say ownership won't sign a big name with money I dont disagree. But we have a ton of resources in the minors to make several quality deals. That is all on Elias.

3. Don't see the logic in moving in the wall. It hurts us probably more than it helps us IMO.

4. Damn it when is ST. Missing O's baseball.

#53 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:10 AM

Couple of thoughts after reading through this.

1. its a big misnomer that the O's are a young team. They aren't they are pretty middle of the pack. It gets overshadowed by the two big stars being Adley and Gunnar.

2. There is zero reason the O's can't obtain a front end starter this offseason. If you want to say ownership won't sign a big name with money I dont disagree. But we have a ton of resources in the minors to make several quality deals. That is all on Elias.

3. Don't see the logic in moving in the wall. It hurts us probably more than it helps us IMO.

4. Damn it when is ST. Missing O's baseball.

When people say they're young, I think it's a combination of those young players who have arrived, and the promise of those who are about to join the big club.

• BobPhelan likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#54 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:29 AM

Santander, Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle feel young but they've been around for a while. Hell, even Adley is already 25. Not exactly super young.

Grayson was really the only young guy on the pitching staff.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:34 AM

Honestly, who the hell gives a damn how old the team is? What's the point? The core we'll be counting on to get us to the promised land is very young. You always augment with some vets. This isn't a contest over who has the youngest team. So much focus on something that is frankly irrelevant IMO. 

• glenn__davis, BobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:42 AM

Honestly, who the hell gives a damn how old the team is? What's the point? The core we'll be counting on to get us to the promised land is very young. You always augment with some vets. This isn't a contest over who has the youngest team. So much focus on something that is frankly irrelevant IMO.

Mostly irrelevant. I dont want many guys on the wrong side of 30. Not position players anyway. Pitchers Im more cool with. But anwhere in the 22-29 range is essentially the same. All the core guys still fit in this range and will continue to fit in this range. Once a guy like say Santander or Mullins hits 30 they will be gone in FA

#57 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:44 AM

Even if they do, the Orioles don't.

Should they trade for one? Absolutely. They have shown no evidence they will.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but I'm sorry, I don't know how to have hope they'll do something they've never done.

I agree

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:52 AM

Mostly irrelevant. I dont want many guys on the wrong side of 30. Not position players anyway. Pitchers Im more cool with. But anwhere in the 22-29 range is essentially the same. All the core guys still fit in this range and will continue to fit in this range. Once a guy like say Santander or Mullins hits 30 they will be gone in FA

If that were the angle (we were too old), yes I'd get bringing this up. I don't understand the fascination with it within the context of this team though. 

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, younger might matter if the young guys get overwhelmed, but Gunnar was probably their best hitter in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's a 20 year old Holliday next year. Mullins was the worst, and he's basically a grizzled vet at this point.

I agree with 2035, I want most of my position players younger anyway. If they want to find a good 35 year old leading the rotation or something that's fine.

#60 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 10:10 AM

Crazy how we think of anyone over 30 as old when not so long ago the best Oriole team in 40 years had one regular UNDER 29.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=