#81 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:43 AM

Not going to happen. Prepare to be disappointed.

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:47 AM

Whats not going to happen. Be specific

#83 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:49 AM

I dont know if Justin Turner will opt into his option. Potential target as a 1b/3b/DH. We need another qualtiy RH bat that can hit RH and LH pitching. Hes old so a chance he hits a wall. Like him more than a pure power guy like Duvall

#84 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 09:17 AM

Elias was asked if the team would consider contracts such as the one Texas gave Eovaldi, which I believe was two years at $34 million plus and option. His answer was those were the types of deals (and players) the team was pursuing, or words to that effect.

Those are the types of contracts I prefer, particularly when it comes to pitchers. We'll see if any of it comes to fruition.

#85 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 09:21 AM

I dont know if Justin Turner will opt into his option. Potential target as a 1b/3b/DH. We need another qualtiy RH bat that can hit RH and LH pitching. Hes old so a chance he hits a wall. Like him more than a pure power guy like Duvall

Duvall can play centerfield, however.

#86 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,621 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2023 - 10:16 AM

Play it or stand in the general vicinity? Either way I wouldn’t hate a one year deal for him.
  • mdrunning likes this

#87 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 October 2023 - 10:52 AM

I think the left field wall would really hurt a player like Duvall.  Turner is interesting.  He is an OBP/Average hitter with some pop.

• mdrunning likes this
@mikeghg

#88 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 11:00 AM

I think the left field wall would really hurt a player like Duvall. Turner is interesting. He is an OBP/Average hitter with some pop.

With the wall I prefer more BA/OBP vs Slg. A high BA/OBP doubles hitter would be glorious from the right side
  • mweb08 and makoman like this

#89 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 11:03 AM

We need more BA/OBP in general. In particular BA though.

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

With the wall I prefer more BA/OBP vs Slg. A high BA/OBP doubles hitter would be glorious from the right side

Speed is also helpful to gain extra bases while hitting into that huge LF. That profile works well playing in left field too.

#91 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Yeah I was thinking we need a right handed young Markakis. 

#92 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,065 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 03:28 PM

I think trade targets will be my preference for staring pitching, but amongst FA, I think right now I'm somewhat leaning towards Sonny Gray.  He's about to be 34 so thinking that like Bassitt last year, you can get him on a shorter deal which may be what is required to get ownership to agree (if they'll agree to anything).

• BobPhelan likes this

#93 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,427 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 04:38 PM

I didnt realize JD Martinez had only signed a 1 yr deal. Perfect vet target as a RH bat on a 1 yr deal. Has to be a DH obviously but there is a spot there. Agree with Jester that you simply give Adley more days off but also play him a bit more often as a C. Turner is prob more realistic as he can still play 1b and 3b but we could make Martinez work. Cahna another solid target. Im really only looking at 1 RH bat as position player targets.

#94 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,621 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2023 - 05:48 PM

I think trade targets will be my preference for staring pitching, but amongst FA, I think right now I'm somewhat leaning towards Sonny Gray. He's about to be 34 so thinking that like Bassitt last year, you can get him on a shorter deal which may be what is required to get ownership to agree (if they'll agree to anything).

I’m on board with Gray but also would prefer to trade for someone.

#95 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 10:35 PM

I think trade targets will be my preference for staring pitching, but amongst FA, I think right now I'm somewhat leaning towards Sonny Gray.  He's about to be 34 so thinking that like Bassitt last year, you can get him on a shorter deal which may be what is required to get ownership to agree (if they'll agree to anything).

Jameson Taillon--who isn't that much younger than Gray--signed a four-year, $68 million deal last offseason with the Cubs. Gray is a much better pitcher as well. While I agree that he won't fetch a longer contract for nine figures, he figures to at least command somewhere in the neighborhood of three years and $75 million. I don't see the Orioles ponying up that kind of money.

#96 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 10:44 PM

Taillon is 2-3 years younger than Gray, but yeah, not nearly as good.

#97 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 03:34 AM

Jameson Taillon--who isn't that much younger than Gray--signed a four-year, $68 million deal last offseason with the Cubs. Gray is a much better pitcher as well. While I agree that he won't fetch a longer contract for nine figures, he figures to at least command somewhere in the neighborhood of three years and $75 million. I don't see the Orioles ponying up that kind of money.

My guess is given the # of teams far outweighing the # of quality arms available, he’ll get $100m/4y. 

#98 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 06:27 AM

Woodruft could miss all of next season. Burnes ain't going anywhere.

#99 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:16 AM

Let's keep it real, the roster now is pretty much what it will be opening day. Maybe another Gibson signng.But this team is making no substantive signings. History tells us the deal. It's the only downside of the team winning 100 games this season. 

#100 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:23 AM

Reminds of me that Malcolm in the Middle meme. I expect nothing, and I'm still let down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=