Photo

EDIT: Orioles & State Reach Reach Tentative 30-year Lease Deal (Maybe Not)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:05 AM

You had to know he would. I guarantee John threatened to leave while telling Moore “you don’t want to be the governor who let the Orioles leave town, do you?”

Bend thy knee.

I doubt it got that close. He was a campaign contributor and also took the governor on a trip to Atlanta, and has hosted him many times at Camden Yards. People should care about this kind of thing, but they don’t. Too busy scrolling social media and being tracked on their smartphones.

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:34 AM

Is M&T stadium part of Camden Yards? Doesn't the MSA do many other functions? Who now oversees the MSA?

It sounds like a group of board members approve many things as a group. The Governor probably oversees it as a state run agency, but probably doesn’t do too much on the decision making process. Until I guess now. Trust fund baby likely has a direct line to the Governor with no checks and balances system for them.
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:13 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Wealthy Guy (well, son of wealthy guy) Gets Government to do His Bidding.

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:31 AM

https://thebaltimore...XOTEKFOSBFDUMA/

Given that was a commentary piece written by the former MSA Chair, a Hogan appointee, I wouldn't be surprised if there was political motivations behind that and maybe everything he says isn't entirely factual. Doesn't absolve John for being a grade A asshat, just sayin'.

You know who comes out of this smelling like a rose? Steve Bisciotti. Since the two teams have to get the same lease terms, I imagine once the Orioles sign their lease the MSA will have to redraw the one for the Ravens. Bisciotti played it perfectly.....sign a quick lease that you know Angelos won't agree to and look good for the public, let John do the ugly work of trying to squeeze every penny out of his buddy the guv, then sit back and get the exact same thing for doing nothing.

#45 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 02:37 PM

Wes Moore, like John Angelos, is pond scum.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#46 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 03:12 PM

Never trust a politician or a billionaire.

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:36 AM

Orioles could go month to month if a lease isn’t signed by Jan 1. SMH.

https://www.thebalti...DBPFDSCA4I7L2I/

My favorite line is “obviously we’re not going to kick them out on Jan 1.” Ummm…why not?

Also it sounds like the MOU announcement might have been Gov’ Moore’s idea. “The Governor is the Governor. It’s his prerogative to make announcements the was he wishes to do so.”

Sell the team. Please. Mark Cuban just sold majority ownership of the Mavs for $3.5B, and has wanted to get into baseball (Tried to buy the Cubs IIRC). Get it done.
  • DuffMan, BSLSteveBirrer and weird-O like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 December 2023 - 09:43 AM

My favorite line is “obviously we’re not going to kick them out on Jan 1.” Ummm…why not?

Also it sounds like the MOU announcement might have been Gov’ Moore’s idea. “The Governor is the Governor. It’s his prerogative to make announcements the was he wishes to do so.”

Sell the team. Please. Mark Cuban just sold majority ownership of the Mavs for $3.5B, and has wanted to get into baseball (Tried to buy the Cubs IIRC). Get it done.

Elias running the show with Cuban's deep pockets, sign me up for that

#49 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:33 AM

Month-to-month could only mean until January of next year, which is when the General Assembly reconvenes. Whether they approve everything in the memorandum or not is another story, since I'm guessing that the Ravens would then invoke their parity clause.

The Governor should call Angelos's bluff on this whole thing. The Orioles have no leverage since it's highly unlikely the other owners would approve the team moving elsewhere.

• SonicAttack likes this

#50 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:54 PM

Moore needs to act like a governor and not a fanboy.

• Mike B and weird-O like this

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:57 PM

Moore needs to act like a governor and not a fanboy.

He is acting like a governor. Trust fund baby helped fund his campaign, and now he's paying back the bribe. 

• Ravens2006 likes this

#52 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:01 PM

He is acting like a governor. Trust fund baby helped fund his campaign, and now he's paying back the bribe. 

Moore won the election in the biggest blowout since the Alamo. He could have sat on a street corner with a hat and a harmonica and likely still raised enough money to win.

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:02 PM

Moore won the election in the biggest blowout since the Alamo. He could have sat on a street corner with a hat and a harmonica and likely still raised enough money to win.

Like that has ever mattered.

Rich people donate money to politicians as an investment and expect ROI. The politician's margin of victory is immaterial to that coming to past or not (unless they lose, of course).

#54 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:37 PM

John Angelos remains pond scum, and will until his last breath.  Wes Moore is politician pond scum, he might mean well, he might not, but either way everything most of them do publicly is to help his own polls for the next election and eventually a dreamed of spot on the national stage.  Maryland is a given for the D party unless they run HORRIBLE candidates, which has surprisingly happened a few times in the last 20 years.

The only way this ends well in the long run is someone named Angelos decides to cash out their billions and billions of dollars in equity because the headaches aren't worth it anymore.  A little more media pressure would help, but that's never happening in Baltimore.  If he had to deal with NY or LA media on daily basis, I think it's much more likely his rich guy ego would take a back seat to the billions of dollars he could take out to never really have to worry about media attention again.  Unfortunately we have no true tough media in this market.  Aside from one TV station that is all over city hall on a daily basis... :)  Used to be a narrative that Dan Snyder would never sell the team, mainly because he told everyone he had zero intention of selling the team... but eventually the league and the media teamed up to blast him as heavily as they could, and even he decided it wasn't worth it anymore.  While basically everyone in the world seems to think he's an acehole, he can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, until his last breath.  It's not the worst way to go out.  Everyone has a breaking point... IF enough pressure is applied.

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 03:27 PM

So why didn't they just exercise the 5-year option by the deadline back in Jan (or maybe it was Feb) if it really takes this long to make a deal? Clearly the state isn't going to just hand John a blank check, and clearly MLB isn't going to give John leverage by letting him threaten relocation. Totally absurd.

#56 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:07 PM

I guess that money only went so far .   :mrgreen:

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:38 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles and state reach tentative 30-year lease deal, sources say, pending needed approvals

https://www.baltimor...x2SwPVoEg-Qa5ZY

#58 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:44 PM

Well, this seems like good news.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst