Photo

EDIT: Orioles & State Reach Reach Tentative 30-year Lease Deal (Maybe Not)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 10:53 AM

Still can't believe some people thought there was any chance the O's were leaving.

Still can't believe the extension wasn't signed the day it was put on the table, or at any self-imposed deadline along the way. 

I guarantee the threat to leave existed in negotiating for more $$.

@BSLMikeRandall

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,518 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2023 - 10:54 AM

Lot A is also north of Lee St, although that's where the players park.

"Hey fellas, ever heard of Uber?"

-probably John Angelos

• Nigel Tufnel, ivanbalt and makoman like this

#23 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 10:56 AM

"Hey fellas, ever heard of Uber?"

-probably John Angelos

I was thinking they could always take the light rail. 

#24 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 11:26 AM

"And in an exciting new promotion for 2024, the entire Orioles team will parachute onto the field before each home game!"

#25 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 11:48 AM

"And in an exciting new promotion for 2024, the entire Orioles team will parachute onto the field before each home game!"

Planes aren't free, this is a small market team.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,518 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2023 - 11:52 AM

Planes aren't free, this is a small market team.

Neither are parachutes.

#27 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 11:52 AM

Still can't believe the extension wasn't signed the day it was put on the table, or at any self-imposed deadline along the way. 

I guarantee the threat to leave existed in negotiating for more $$.

It's insane to think that the state was offering a business $600 million in free money for capital investments and that business still tried to get more.

I'm sure every restaurant in the state would be ecstatic if the government was going to issue bonds in order to give them money to renovate their kitchens.

#28 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:10 PM

So it turns out that the lease hasn't been signed, they just have a non-binding memorandum of understanding.  Hopefully an actual agreement happens soon.

Orioles, Maryland officials announce non-binding stadium agreement, but not a lease (baltimoresun.com)

#29 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:13 PM

So it turns out that the lease hasn't been signed, they just have a non-binding memorandum of understanding. Hopefully an actual agreement happens soon.

Probably waits to officially sign it during a World Series game, don’t want the team to get too much of his attention.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#30 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:25 PM

And they said an extension of the current lease for at least a year or two may be needed because both sides have not agreed to final terms yet.

FFS another lie from Angelos.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:37 PM

Wtf. So last night really was about ensuring he got a piece of the lime light from this 100 win division champion team. He’s truly a piece of work. All the way down to the notes he prepared for Kevin Brown which spoke glowingly about how John Angelos did all of this.

No one’s buying it, trust fund baby. You’re ass got booed in the stadium. No one’s buying it. Everyone knows who you are.

#32 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 01:03 PM

Wtf. So last night really was about ensuring he got a piece of the lime light from this 100 win division champion team. He’s truly a piece of work. All the way down to the notes he prepared for Kevin Brown which spoke glowingly about how John Angelos did all of this.

No one’s buying it, trust fund baby. You’re ass got booed in the stadium. No one’s buying it. Everyone knows who you are.

Am I misremembering, or did Peter get booed on 2131 day for trying to make it about him? The apple doesn't fall far.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 01:09 PM

Am I misremembering, or did Peter get booed on 2131 day for trying to make it about him? The apple doesn't fall far.

He did.  15 minute speech where things grounded to a halt. 

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 01:15 PM

15 minute speech, followed by him forgetting to introduce Joe DiMaggio.

#35 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 10:54 PM

John Angelos is pond scum...

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:32 AM

More details emerging about the agreement.

https://thebaltimore...XOTEKFOSBFDUMA/

Basically the Orioles don’t have to operate under the oversight of the Maryland Stadium Authority anymore. I guess John Angelos owns Camden Yards. I’m sure that will go well.

People will lose jobs. Contractors to do work won’t be vetted properly. Orioles can spend stadium money how they see fit instead of at the direction of the MSA. Ownership will get to cry poor directly to the Governor and get more funding.

How on earth does this happen? Instead of a lease extension, trust fund baby and the Governor just, cut out the MSA, and that’s supposed to be fine?
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:05 AM

More details emerging about the agreement.

https://thebaltimore...XOTEKFOSBFDUMA/

Basically the Orioles don’t have to operate under the oversight of the Maryland Stadium Authority anymore. I guess John Angelos owns Camden Yards. I’m sure that will go well.

People will lose jobs. Contractors to do work won’t be vetted properly. Orioles can spend stadium money how they see fit instead of at the direction of the MSA. Ownership will get to cry poor directly to the Governor and get more funding.

How on earth does this happen? Instead of a lease extension, trust fund baby and the Governor just, cut out the MSA, and that’s supposed to be fine?

Is M&T stadium part of Camden Yards?  Doesn't the MSA do many other functions?  Who now oversees the MSA?  

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:15 AM

Is M&T stadium part of Camden Yards?  Doesn't the MSA do many other functions?  Who now oversees the MSA?  

MSA is a State Agency.  I'm not sure I'd say they have many other functions, but they do work...  the Maryland 5 Star (Horse) event going on, they had a huge hand in-that. 

Yes, M&T is a part of the CY Complex. 

https://mdstad.com/

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:18 AM

Bribery at it's finest. It's just the way things work. Lost a lot of respect for Wes Moore over this. He folded like a lawn chair.

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:01 AM

Bribery at it's finest. It's just the way things work. Lost a lot of respect for Wes Moore over this. He folded like a lawn chair.

You had to know he would. I guarantee John threatened to leave while telling Moore “you don’t want to be the governor who let the Orioles leave town, do you?”

Bend thy knee.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=