Photo

EDIT: Orioles & State Reach Reach Tentative 30-year Lease Deal (Maybe Not)

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#81 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 04:57 PM

So this current deal ups the Orioles' "base" commitment from 10 to 15 years with possible opt-outs thereafter. That's similar to the Ravens, who signed a 15-year commitment with two five-year options. Only difference was, the Ravens' current lease isn't due to expire until 2027.

My only question is, should the Orioles opt out after 15 years, do they still realize the full $600 million commitment? I understand there's also a no-relocation clause in the agreement, but I'm unclear as to whether that kicks in immediately or after 2027 if the two parties can agree on development rights.

Questions, questions, questions. . .

#82 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like it's a 30-year agreement, but the O's can opt out after 15 years if they haven't gotten development rights.

So, development rights are not part of this deal? Thank friggin' god. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#83 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 December 2023 - 10:44 AM

It occurs to me that giving the Orioles development rights control would add greatly to their value and allow Angelos to ask for more money if he sells. Which is why he'd pursue the development rights thing at the same time he's trying to sell the team (which I hope the god he does).

#84 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,654 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:17 AM

MSA approved the lease.

#85 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:23 AM

Maryland Stadium Authority board approves Orioles lease – Baltimore Sun

Two officials with knowledge of the document told The Baltimore Sun last week that the deal extends the current terms, under which the Orioles pay rent and the stadium authority operates and maintains the ballpark, for at least five years (it could be much longer) or until development rights are negotiated. At that point, the ballclub could choose to continue with a 15-year lease, with four five-year options under the current lease terms. Or the club could forgo its option of leaving after 15 years, extend the lease to 30 years, but stop paying rent and gain authority over stadium operations and maintenance, a costly function that falls to the stadium authority today.

#86 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:59 AM

As long as the Camden Yard development rights are with the Baltimore Orioles and not John Angelos, then that's OK.  

#87 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:20 PM

MSA approved the lease.

DPW is supposed to convene this afternoon at 3:15, I believe.

#88 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:13 PM

Brooke Lierman, Maryland’s comptroller, says at a press conference celebrating a new lease agreement that she looks forward to the Orioles’ recruitment of a new veteran starting pitcher this winter

#89 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:14 PM

I wonder if this is true.  There had been talk of selling naming rights to the field, but not to the stadium.

The #Orioles have been given permission to sell the naming rights to Camden yards.

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,550 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:53 PM

David Simon

I shall never refer to it as anything other than Camden Yards or The Yards. And unless the naming rights are purchased by Utz, Berger Cookies or Matthew's Pizza, I shall undertake a lifetime boycott of the running pig-dog capitalist jackals and their every product.

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,550 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:55 PM

Personally, I 100% would not care what the name of the stadium is if I knew the money was going into improving the team. Since I know the money is only going into John Angelos' pocket, I will 100% hate it....even if it is named after Utz, Berger Cookies or Matthew's Pizza.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#92 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:56 PM

I wonder if this is true.  There had been talk of selling to naming rights to the field, but not to the stadium.

The #Orioles have been given permission to sell the naming rights to Camden yards.

Can only imagine what irrelevant business will buy those rights. Never understood (besides money) why Lake Erie College of Orthopedic Medicine occupies more ad space than Budweiser. LECOM have a Baltimore campus I'm unaware of?

@BSLMikeRandall

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:58 PM

Chicken Rico Park at Camden Yards would be fine with me.

#94 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:03 PM

They should have MASN buy the rights so the Nats have to pay 15% or whatever.
  • DuffMan likes this

#95 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,550 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:18 PM

Can only imagine what irrelevant business will buy those rights. Never understood (besides money) why Lake Erie College of Orthopedic Medicine occupies more ad space than Budweiser. LECOM have a Baltimore campus I'm unaware of?

Now you made me have to go and look that up....and nope, no physical presence in MD. Closest campus is in Greensburg, PA. But apparently it is the largest med school in the country by enrollment, so I guess they advertise everywhere. And in Baltimore they might attract all the students who couldn't get into Hopkins or UM.

• Mike in STL likes this

#96 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,003 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:24 PM

Now you made me have to go and look that up....and nope, no physical presence in MD. Closest campus is in Greensburg, PA. But apparently it is the largest med school in the country by enrollment, so I guess they advertise everywhere. And in Baltimore they might attract all the students who couldn't get into Hopkins or UM.

Those Baltimore City HS kids should learn how to read at a higher than elementary school level before thinking about medical school.
  • Chris B likes this

#97 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:28 PM

I wonder if this is true.  There had been talk of selling naming rights to the field, but not to the stadium.

I thought that happened years ago, back when Peter was still a presence and running the team.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,550 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:29 PM

I thought that happened years ago, back when Peter was still a presence and running the team.

Correct. It's probably just being brought up again to brace us for impact.

#99 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:37 PM

And PA never sold those naming rights, interesting.  

#100 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 December 2023 - 04:39 PM

Correct. It's probably just being brought up again to brace us for impact.

I thought I remembered that correctly. If memory serves, Peter immediately released a statement that he had no intentions of selling the rights. His son may not share his father's philosophy on that matter.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=