Surprising, but looking forward to it.

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 06:29 AM

Makes sense with Bradish knocked out of the rotation. 

#43 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:56 AM

W/O knowing how long Bradish is going to be out for I really don't like this move. Now if Bradish is out for several weeks then I guess it makes sense. But if its just for one or maybe even 2 starts then it doesn't make sense to me. The reasons he was sent down to start haven't changed. His one start down there was not good and we'd still lose the extra year at the end.

Perhaps they are calling him up but hoping to not actually use him?

Update: Well ESPN shows him as the starter this afternoon. So scratch what do I know....lol. Have to tune in and see how the kid does.

#44 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:46 AM

I'm glad he's up but if they thought his spring training was a real concern then I think it's odd they changed their mind after one AAA start when you have Bruce and Spenser available as options with prior experience starting in the majors. Again, no complaints from me, but if he was sent down entirely for performance reasons that seems like quite the turnaround after one injury, right?  

she/her

#45 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:09 AM

I'm glad he's up but if they thought his spring training was a real concern then I think it's odd they changed their mind after one AAA start when you have Bruce and Spenser available as options with prior experience starting in the majors. Again, no complaints from me, but if he was sent down entirely for performance reasons that seems like quite the turnaround after one injury, right?

Isn't it the opposite? If it was purely based on service time one of those other guys or Rom or even Voth would surely be pitching today. If it was purely on the merits, even though he had a bad spring he probably slotted in as the 6th starter based on talent and last year's performance, so it makes sense he's the first up. Tends to show it was based on the merits, imo. Really it was probably a little of both.

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:22 AM

Whether this explanation or the opposite one is true, situations force your hand sometime.

This very well may just be a one start appearance, too, and they'll send him back down in support of whatever cause was the reason they optioned him to begin with.  Though with Bradish out for two weeks he probably gets multiple starts.  Its possible he's so good they can't send him out, even if they'd prefer to.  A few good starts probably punches his ticket, if he's shaky then they can do as they please.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:28 AM

I dont think service time manipulation was the biggest part of sending him out. It played a part but as some of us have said, GRod truly had a chance to lock up a spot in ST and kind of squandered it. The argument that Wells is better out of the pen and its not Wells vs GRod but GRod vs say Bryan Baker or Danny Colomumbe is just a bad one. Those guys are relievers and have been. We had 6 legit SP candidates at the end of ST. The 5 others earned the right, through ST numbers or previous experience, to start here over Rodriguez.

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:29 AM

Isn't it the opposite? If it was purely based on service time one of those other guys or Rom or even Voth would surely be pitching today. If it was purely on the merits, even though he had a bad spring he probably slotted in as the 6th starter based on talent and last year's performance, so it makes sense he's the first up. Tends to show it was based on the merits, imo. Really it was probably a little of both.

Meh - I think there's a clear pattern of inconsistency with regards to how they handle this stuff. Just my opinion. But I don't think they're nearly as infallible with their process as people like to assume they are. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:31 AM

I dont think service time manipulation was the biggest part of sending him out. It played a part but as some of us have said, GRod truly had a chance to lock up a spot in ST and kind of squandered it. The argument that Wells is better out of the pen and its not Wells vs GRod but GRod vs say Bryan Baker or Danny Colomumbe is just a bad one. Those guys are relievers and have been. We had 6 legit SP candidates at the end of ST. 5 others earned the right through ST and or or previous big league experience to start here over Rodriguez.

Just doesn't add up. He did nothing his first start to change anyone's mind. So that doesn't make sense. I think it was about service time, and the fans, media and Grayson's mom threw a fit so this is a curveball to throw off the narrative. That's my take.

#50 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:36 AM

Just doesn't add up. He did nothing his first start to change anyone's mind. So that doesn't make sense. I think it was about service time, and the fans, media and Grayson's mom threw a fit so this is a curveball to throw off the narrative. That's my take.

Could be. One thing I think we can all agree with though is they don’t care much about narratives and will do what they want—the owner has literally lied blatantly to the media multiple times this year. I don’t think Mayo raising an eyebrow or Grayson’s mom being mad would have much influence, but no one can really know.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:36 AM

I get Elias's frustrstion here. Articles like this are uneccesary and annoying as F. If any other AAA starter whon wasnt a top 10 prospect was trying to crack a rotation out of spring and 5 other guys who have all had some level of ML success all pitched better than the AAA guy no one would be clamoring for the AAA guy. And dont tellme its because GRod proved it over his 70 great innings last year in AAA. Hes not the first guy to throw 70 great AAA. Are all the ones before him and who will do it after deserving of being handed a rotation spot. This whole thing was only because people are enamored with prospect ratings.

Btw Ill reaffirm my position that GRod will figure it out and be a very good SP for the Os. I believe in him longterm but stop with the fakr outrage and if its not fake then get a grip on the reality of the situation.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:44 AM

What BS. Knew this take was coming. Yes Graysons mom made them do a 180. It was such a poor look because some of the way too hardcore fans at BSL and the like thought it was egregious. You know maybe he just didnt earn it and was the 6th man in a 5 man race and when one of the 5 went down the logical move is to call the 6th man. My lord man. Especially when it lines up with his scheduled day to start anyway.

#53 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

I dont think service time manipulation was the biggest part of sending him out. It played a part but as some of us have said, GRod truly had a chance to lock up a spot in ST and kind of squandered it. The argument that Wells is better out of the pen and its not Wells vs GRod but GRod vs say Bryan Baker or Danny Colomumbe is just a bad one. Those guys are relievers and have been. We had 6 legit SP candidates at the end of ST. The 5 others earned the right, through ST numbers or previous experience, to start here over Rodriguez.

And Tyler Wells was one in 2021 and did well enough to earn a couple saves at the end of the year. Also even if he was purely a starter we just saw that moving an SP to the bullpen can work with Jorge. I think it's a pretty reasonable argument to want the best overall group of pitchers and I'm pretty sure that's Wells and Grayson over Wells and pick your least favorite middle reliever.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

she/her

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:53 AM

If he had 30 days of service in 2022, or was somehow guaranteed a full year in 2023, I'm certain he'd have made the team out of ST.  If he'd had a great spring, I'm also certain he'd have made the club.  

Him having a bit of a struggle gave them the opening to send him down and avoid him accruing the service while they maintain a plausible explanation for that not being the only rationale.  It was very dubious, which is why there was such kickback against it.  But just believable enough for it to not be a complete farce like it would've been with Rutschman a year ago.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:10 AM

What BS. Knew this take was coming. Yes Graysons mom made them do a 180. It was such a poor look because some of the way too hardcore fans at BSL and the like thought it was egregious. You know maybe he just didnt earn it and was the 6th man in a 5 man race and when one of the 5 went down the logical move is to call the 6th man. My lord man. Especially when it lines up with his scheduled day to start anyway.

Well make up your mind, did he or didn't he? Go look at the Grayson thread from his first minor league start... You love changing the goal posts to conform to your Elias can do no wrong shtick. Do you. Nothing BS at all about what I'm suggesting. It's just a thought anyway, so you should probably get over it. Mako had a good retort, yours - not so much.

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

I get Elias's frustrstion here. Articles like this are uneccesary and annoying as F. If any other AAA starter whon wasnt a top 10 prospect was trying to crack a rotation out of spring and 5 other guys who have all had some level of ML success all pitched better than the AAA guy no one would be clamoring for the AAA guy. And dont tellme its because GRod proved it over his 70 great innings last year in AAA. Hes not the first guy to throw 70 great AAA. Are all the ones before him and who will do it after deserving of being handed a rotation spot. This whole thing was only because people are enamored with prospect ratings.

Btw Ill reaffirm my position that GRod will figure it out and be a very good SP for the Os. I believe in him longterm but stop with the fakr outrage and if its not fake then get a grip on the reality of the situation.

Yeah, articles should probably never question people in power - who receive hundreds of millions in tax payer money to do their business. So unnecessary to be questioned. 

BTW, if there was any good faith attempt whatsoever between the team and their fans, a lot of this angst wouldn't exist. So they bring it on themselves.

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:18 AM

I'm just glad a highly rated prospect is getting an early look. Sucks it's at the expense of Bradish. GRod should have already be on the roster. Get his major league development going sooner rather than later IMO. 

Don't really care about 2029. Orioles are probably playing in Nashville by then. Beside, I've asked before, who on the team currently are we glad they held back in 2017 so they could be here cheaper today? That's how little that manipulation matters in the future, while it has a huge impact in the present. 

Give em' hell, kid. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

If he had 30 days of service in 2022, or was somehow guaranteed a full year in 2023, I'm certain he'd have made the team out of ST. If he'd had a great spring, I'm also certain he'd have made the club.

Him having a bit of a struggle gave them the opening to send him down and avoid him accruing the service while they maintain a plausible explanation for that not being the only rationale. It was very dubious, which is why there was such kickback against it. But just believable enough for it to not be a complete farce like it would've been with Rutschman a year ago.

Bradish is on IL I think GRod is now here for awhile. Only way he loses his year of service time is if he struggles enough to be sent back down. I dont think its a lock if he had broke his cherry in Sept that he woulda broke camp in the rotation. If he had not got hurt and had 50-70ish decent-good enough ML ininngs then yes that rotation spot more assured like it was with Bradish this spring. Not a cup of coffee. This comes down to Wells for now who still may be a viable ML SP. Just moving him to the pen because he stsrted his ML career there and had success is also a weak argument. If hes good as a SP then keep him as a SP. It may come to a point where Kremer or Bradish struggle and GRod and Wells are both in the rotation and we are glad we didnt make Wells a RP to start the year. Im also not buying that yo yoing Wells between SP and RP is a viable thing over the long haul. Establish a role for him. But people dont give a crap about Wells and how he is treated because he aint a top 10 guy

#59 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, articles should probably never question people in power - who receive hundreds of millions in tax payer money to do their business. So unnecessary to be questioned. 

BTW, if there was any good faith attempt whatsoever between the team and their fans, a lot of this angst wouldn't exist. So they bring it on themselves.

Yeah I'll happily write articles praising the team's decisions if they do things like extending anyone, getting a free agent better than Gibson/Frazier or actually making a meaningful attempt to buy at the deadline. Any one of those 3 happen and I think a good amount of the fanbase would view the team's leadership with less cynicism and if all 3 happen in the next 12-18 months then it'd be a pretty lovely indicator they're serious about winning now while also willing to start paying the future what it should earn.  

she/her

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:25 AM

Well make up your mind, did he or didn't he? Go look at the Grayson thread from his first minor league start... You love changing the goal posts to conform to your Elias can do no wrong shtick. Do you. Nothing BS at all about what I'm suggesting. It's just a thought anyway, so you should probably get over it. Mako had a good retort, yours - not so much.

He clearly didnt earn it. Come again. Moved what goal posts? He didnt earn it in ST. If the manipulation part of the service time is what you think im moving the goalposts about I think that played a small part but it clearly wouldnt have mattered if he pitched well in ST. To think there was pressure on Elias because baseball dorks at BSL and his mom were angry and influenced him. Thats a funny take and a bad one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=