76 replies to this topic

#21 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:04 AM

What worries me is he seems to overpower the lesser hitters, but guys with real talent (like Pinto) are getting their hits. That doesn't bode well for success in the majors.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,624 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:45 AM

He's probably hurt again.

Touched 99.5 mph and averaged 96.6 so I doubt it.

#23 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:56 AM

I hate that I feel this way, but until a touted O's pitching prospect actually delivers on their potential, I'm going to assume they're going to whiff. They haven't developed a legit TOR starter since Mussina. Dominating the minors and falling on their face in the majors is absolutely par for the course.

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:04 PM

I hate that I feel this way, but until a touted O's pitching prospect actually delivers on their potential, I'm going to assume they're going to whiff. They haven't developed a legit TOR starter since Mussina. Dominating the minors and falling on their face in the majors is absolutely par for the course.

Totally correct however, this is a completely different staff so maybe they can do better job in development?

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:05 PM

Bedard was a legit top of the rotation talent, but obviously the injuries derailed his career.

#26 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:14 PM

I think Rodriguez will be fine.  You can't teach the kind of stuff he has so hopefully, he'll refine his command and be here by May.  Hall I tend to worry about more because he's prone to injuries.  Would love to see both of them pitching in the starting rotation sometime next month. 

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:24 PM

Bedard was a legit top of the rotation talent, but obviously the injuries derailed his career.

Bedard was 18 years ago so...not exactly current.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 01:05 PM

Totally correct however, this is a completely different staff so maybe they can do better job in development?

Let's hope so.

#29 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 01:16 PM

I suppose. He just had such a bad attitude and mindset. To me an ace is a guy who demands the ball every 5th day and wants to pitch in the biggest moments.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 01:38 PM

Touched 99.5 mph and averaged 96.6 so I doubt it.

MacGif.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 01:40 PM

Define legit TOR starter. If youre looking for the next Mussina yeah prob not gonna be it. GRod will be the best Os pitching prospect to perform for the Os since Bedard. And its not like Tillman or Gausman totally did nothing either.

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:44 PM

Define legit TOR starter. If youre looking for the next Mussina yeah prob not gonna be it. GRod will be the best Os pitching prospect to perform for the Os since Bedard. And its not like Tillman or Gausman totally did nothing either.

Tillman was a good #3 in a strong rotation, or a borderline #2 in a decent one. Gausman became good when he left the Orioles. Same with Arrieta. The Orioles have never had a problem acquiring pitching talent - they've just never been able to develop it.

Hopefully this new regime changes that, but until they prove it, I'm not going to pin my hopes on any guy, no matter how good his arm is, how high his spin rates, or how touted he is.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:45 PM

Gausman had above 100 OPS+ here.

#34 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:46 PM

Gausman had above 100 OPS+ here.

I guess they should have made him a hitter.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:48 PM

I guess they should have made him a hitter.

ERA +. But funny. Comedian

#36 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:51 PM

Tillman was a good #3 in a strong rotation, or a borderline #2 in a decent one. Gausman became good when he left the Orioles. Same with Arrieta. The Orioles have never had a problem acquiring pitching talent - they've just never been able to develop it.

Hopefully this new regime changes that, but until they prove it, I'm not going to pin my hopes on any guy, no matter how good his arm is, how high his spin rates, or how touted he is.

Gausman sucked for two other teams after the O's before he got good, wasn't even starting anymore for a not good Reds team, so I'm not really going to blame the O's for him. Just took him time to figure things out.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:57 PM

Gaus had exactly a 100 ERA+ here. Tillman was 91+. Granted one or two really bad seasons can hurt that and that kinda happened with Tillman. Neither are like hang your hat on their numbers here but both had solid moments and solid years here. Im confident GRod will be better

#38 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:31 PM

Completely agree. 

• Slidemaster likes this

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

Grayson getting the call tomorrow.

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive