#2 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:16 PM

Nice piece Jordan. In general, I agree that it may have been better to let Rodriguez work out his issues against MLB teams. But I wonder if management saw issues with how he mentally handled those problems and decided a quick stint with AAA might give him a chance to work through them. Also, I wonder if the FO is gambling that one or more of Wells, Bradish and Kremer might get off to a hot start thus becoming trade chips when GRod, Hall and eventually Means are more ready to join the big league club.

Edit. I'm also including the desire for longer team control with these thoughts.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:19 PM

Listening to On The Verge, it seems some of those guys think Grayson is pretty pissed off about this. They weren’t passing this off as first hand info to be clear, don’t want to get any of them in trouble. But just something to consider about all of this.

#4 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

Nice piece Jordan. In general, I agree that it may have been better to let Rodriguez work out his issues against MLB teams. But I wonder if management saw issues with how he mentally handled those problems and decided a quick stint with AAA might give him a chance to work through them. Also, I wonder if the FO is gambling that one or more of Wells, Bradish and Kremer might get off to a hot start thus becoming trade chips when GRod, Hall and eventually Means are more ready to join the big league club.

If guys like Wells, Kremer, and Bradish (2, <2, and <1 years of service time) are really good and get traded that’s a really disappointing direction for the team IMO. I definitely don’t think we have an excess of SP in the majors and upper minors so we need all we can get.

#5 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:29 PM

If guys like Wells, Kremer, and Bradish (2, <2, and <1 years of service time) are really good and get traded that’s a really disappointing direction for the team IMO. I definitely don’t think we have an excess of SP in the majors and upper minors so we need all we can get.

I like all three of them, but I'm thinking a package of one of them along with an excess IF prospect for a player with immediate impact might be a trade worth considering. Assuming GRod, Hall and Means come up/return, what else could you do with those three?

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:36 PM

Acting like the few innings GRod would throw up here vs AAA are some big factor in how the teams plays or its record is flawed and or disingenuous.

As far as the argument of GRod vs Wells's and Bradish's ST numbers well for one while not pretty Bradish and Wells still were better. The bigger point here and the obvious one is those two each started 23 games in the Majors last year. Struggling at times but holding their own and having real bright spots. Earning rotation spots based on their work in the show.

Be mad all you want but if you're going to attack the Os decision in an article that you want to be taken serious you have to do better than most of the ammo in this piece

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:41 PM

Listening to On The Verge, it seems some of those guys think Grayson is pretty pissed off about this. They weren’t passing this off as first hand info to be clear, don’t want to get any of them in trouble. But just something to consider about all of this.

I didnt listen to the whole pod. Heard them say his mom wrote something on twitter. The disappointment is to be expected. Again Ill point out that GRod got hurt last year or this wouldnt be a thing right now. Injuries happen and Im not blaming him for his injury but that is the biggest reason we are here. If he had been available more last year he would assuredly be in the rotation now. Timeline was pushed back because of that.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2023 - 04:42 PM

https://baltimorespo...ez-back-to-aaa/

Well done.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#9 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 05:08 PM

I like all three of them, but I'm thinking a package of one of them along with an excess IF prospect for a player with immediate impact might be a trade worth considering. Assuming GRod, Hall and Means come up/return, what else could you do with those three?

True, if everyone does great we could have like 8 good starters and have to figure something out. I’m not prepared for such good fortune.

#10 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 05:12 PM

To me, this is two things, 1. The other guys were better this spring, which is good, it means they’re actually focused on winning rather than just developing at a the major league level. At least that’s what I’m hoping. And 2. It saves them an extra year, obviously. I have no doubt he’ll be up relatively early as long as he performs like he’s capable at AAA.

#11 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2023 - 05:32 PM

Acting like the few innings GRod would throw up here vs AAA are some big factor in how the teams plays or its record is flawed and or disingenuous.

As far as the argument of GRod vs Wells's and Bradish's ST numbers well for one while not pretty Bradish and Wells still were better. The bigger point here and the obvious one is those two each started 23 games in the Majors last year. Struggling at times but holding their own and having real bright spots. Earning rotation spots based on their work in the show.

Be mad all you want but if you're going to attack the Os decision in an article that you want to be taken serious you have to do better than most of the ammo in this piece

1. Putting Wells in the rotation instead of the bullpen will absolutely give them a weaker bullpen especially if it's already going to be down Tate and Givens. If you can have someone who has been both a closer and a starter in your bullpen that's a pretty helpful weapon and it's one they'll now be missing. All it takes is one crappy outing from a middle reliever who wouldn't be on the roster if it was Grayson SP/Wells RP to see the trickle down of this decision and how it'd impact winning games. If you think there's no difference between the OD bullpen with and without Tyler Wells then you have more faith in some people behind Felix/Cionel than I do. 

2. My point wasn't that Bradish and Wells should be off the roster too for someone who was better in spring (Spenser Watkins had like a 4 ERA lol) but that they're not gonna get dinged for a bumpy spring so the top 10 prospect who dominated AAA last year also shouldn't have it held against him. I think being competent in your first MLB season as a starter should give you the benefit of the doubt *and* that Grayson dominating AAA while being a top 10 prospect should get a similar benefit of the doubt

she/her

#12 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2023 - 05:48 PM

Coby Mayo also tweeted a thinking face emoji and a facepalm emoji in response to the story (deleted it shortly after sending) so you had at least one prospect publicly expressing their displeasure 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

she/her

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 March 2023 - 06:15 PM

First of all, greatly appreciate the listen. But no, no inside knowledge other than his mom retweeting negative responses and Mayo deleting a tweet. Hopefully lights a fire under him and all can be forgiven with a good enough contract offer.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:05 PM

Boy something tells me he's going to be ready for the majors right after he passes the deadline for service time. It's convenient how that always happens.

#15 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:48 PM

Boy something tells me he's going to be ready for the majors right after he passes the deadline for service time. It's convenient how that always happens.

That may be true but it is also true that he didn't have a good spring.

Nothing is a given in baseball. The only problem I have with the O's is that they should have made it clear from the beginning that the kid needed to earn his spot just like any one else. They arguably led everyone to believe that the guy was going to start the season in the bigs.

I want the O's to start with the roster that is going to give them the best chance to put W's on the board because the wins in April count just as much as the wins in September.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:48 AM

Rodriguez with a less-than-impressive first start at AAA.  4IP, 4BB, 3R, 2ER, 2K.  Sounds like he's still struggling with his command with a lot of non-competitive pitches.

He's not right at the moment.  Let him figure things out at AAA - which he will - and bring him up when he's ready to help the MLB team win games.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,454 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:19 AM

He's probably hurt again.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:50 AM

Wasnt clean after the 1st inning but no runs allowed after the first. Its early

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:40 AM

He's got explosive, nasty stuff and it's harder to command.  Same with Hall.  They have to learn how to command all parts of the strikezone at the major league level.  Otherwise, they're going to be throwing a ton of pitches, walking guys and never lasting more than 3-4 innings.  He was struggling with command the whole Spring so it didn't surprise me that they wanted him to get that corrected at AAA.

• SouthRider likes this

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:42 AM

He settled down a bit after the rough start. Reminder the O’s gave up 9 runs Thursday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=