Photo

The Athletic: Overloaded with star prospects, Orioles need to determine how to escalate the team’s rise

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2023 - 11:05 AM

That's fair but also "he's worse if you remove his hot streaks" would apply for most people who are even vaguely streaky. I forgot if Mountcastle was mentioned in this thread or another thread but I'm sure if you remove his .959 OPS in June his overall figure of .729 gets much worse, etc. 

she/her

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 11:22 AM

That's fair but also "he's worse if you remove his hot streaks" would apply for most people who are even vaguely streaky. I forgot if Mountcastle was mentioned in this thread or another thread but I'm sure if you remove his .959 OPS in June his overall figure of .729 gets much worse, etc. 

Lot more reason to expect Mountcastle to get hot at some point than there is to expect Mateo to do so, IMO.  Much lower bar needed for Mateo to be passable given what he brings elsewhere, but he's only a little more than passable as a starter even with that outlying hot streak.  If he can't have another hot streak at some point, or avoid the massive lows he had the rest of the season, then he's not acceptable.  If he can increase the frequency or limit the lows, then he's an outright asset.

#63 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 11:30 AM

That’s also fair, hot streaks matter and some people live by them, nothing necessarily wrong with that. It just helps when they’re more established and you know the hot streak will actually come again. Anyway, like I said I’m happy with him getting the bulk of SS ABs for a while then we can reevaluate where he and the prospects are. We need to figure out if we are going to have excess and if so start trading it off for stuff we’re lacking. If he’s a starting SS we should either use him as such or get something for him.
  • mdrunning likes this

#64 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 March 2023 - 08:17 AM

I believe that's a true statement.

I also believe its nonsense for the simple reason that its a made up metric. All fans care about is if their minor league players builds them wins at the big club (thru direct contributions or as trade pieces).  Anything else is rah rah noise and I doubt a major league executive is excited to have his legacy based on how good a minor league system they built.

I agree. But if his financial hands are tied by ownership, and I fully believe they are, then a strong farm system is all he'll ever be able to accomplish here. And that will make him very anxious for the expiration of his contract, so that he can move on to a truly ML level executive position. I think that is when we'll know what kind of ML GM he is. Unfortunately, we won't care, because we don't root for whatever team that is. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=