Photo

PressBox: Stan ‘The Fan’ Charles: John Angelos Says He’s Not Going Anywhere … And I’m Good With That

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:08 AM

PressBox: Stan ‘The Fan’ Charles: John Angelos Says He’s Not Going Anywhere … And I’m Good With That

https://pressboxonli...good-with-that/

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:21 AM

Did John write that article himself and ask Stan to put it out under his name?  What a joke.

• Mike B and makoman like this

#3 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:22 AM

Did John write  that article himself and ask Stan to put it out under his name? What a joke.

I thought the same, I guess he needed a puff piece after last week.

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:24 AM

I thought the same, I guess he needed a puff piece after last week.

Kudos to Ruiz at The Sun.  I feel like he's been doing a solid job of calling out John on all of his BS lately.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 10:02 AM

Nobody should be "good" with the idea of John Angelos not going anywhere.  Nobody.

Just heard Jim Palmer take a parting shot at the Orioles for not broadcasting more spring games as he was ending his interview with 105.7...  Good job Jim.  Never change...

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,428 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:38 AM

There’s no better way to advertise your lack of journalistic integrity than announcing you’re writing a piece to prop up your friend. At least Charles was considerate enough to get that out of the way in the first paragraph so I didn’t need to spend another minute reading the rest.

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:48 AM

Why doesn't Stan Charles have a job writing for MASN?

#8 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:57 AM

I couldn't make it through the whole article. I'm thinking of several, colorful ways to express how complimentary the article is to its subject. But I'll keep it classy and won't type any of those adult themed phrases.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:20 PM

Why doesn't Stan Charles have a job writing for MASN?

I have tuned out Stan Charles for a couple of decades, and I do not read the paper he publishes, but I wonder if the Orioles or MASN are an advertiser.

@mikeghg

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 02:06 PM

I have tuned out Stan Charles for a couple of decades, and I do not read the paper he publishes, but I wonder if the Orioles or MASN are an advertiser.

The Orioles exhibit massive vice grip like control over their local coverage, and have for a very long time. Either get on board with the false narrative, or get shut out.

For all I care, John Angelos can go somewhere I won't mention...

And like the hacks on 105.7 did a few weeks back, that article is part of John's PR campaign in the aftermath of his embarrassing response to Dan Connolly's very fair questions.

Stan shows ZERO journalistic integrity with the piece. Zero.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,428 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 03:28 PM

The Orioles exhibit massive vice grip like control over their local coverage, and have for a very long time. Either get on board with the false narrative, or get shut out.

With The Sun having their iconic sign removed, that's at least one source that will probably kowtow less than they did in the past. And Connolly has never been one to hold back. Just don't go to the opposite extreme, like Nestor, and start making the story about themselves and the Orioles having some sort of vendetta against them.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:19 PM

I don't hold John Angelos responsible for his Dad's actions, like I feel many do. 

I don't think Peter would have ever hired Elias. 
Know some think that hire was made only for the organization to save money. 

I applaud John for having the Orioles finally doing something Internationally, and investing in Analytics, as well as further investment into Player Development and Scouting.  

I had no problem with John not wanting to answer Orioles related questions when they had the MLK Day Press Conference with The Mayor, for something non baseball related.....  but it was wrong of John to say he'd be transparent about the Orioles financials, and invite the media back the next week, and not do so. 

I think it was a missed opportunity for the Orioles to not augment their existing core further in FA this Winter, and John is responsible there. 

I do understand that between the MASN dispute, and the family dispute, there were legitimate issues that might have impacted their planning.  I also understand it's possible (maybe likely) they just didn't want to spend. 

Beyond not doing more FA wise, there was an opportunity this Winter to be aggressive with extension offers for Adley, Gunnar, and Grayson.  That didn't happen, and I'll place that on John. 

The Orioles do a lot of with charitable endeavors, and I respect them for that. 

The Orioles are a nightmare to deal with as an organization, and that starts at the top...  the nepotism which has existed with their internal hiring, and the executives (non-baseball ops) running things.... could really use a change. 

Like him, don't like him....  Stan Charles has never had trouble articulating an opinion. He says what he thinks. 
I respect what Stan has built. 

• weird-O likes this

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:31 PM

I don't hold John Angelos responsible for his Dad's actions, like I feel many do. 

Talking about this one aspect, I think this mistates the argument against John.  Its not that he is to blame for anything his father has done, that's absolutely ridiculous.  The argument is that the bad management of the Orioles over the past 15-20 years, includes him as a significant part of the team, so he officially being named the managing partner in 2018 or whenever it was isn't a point upon which he deserved a clean slate.

I find it unreasonable to think that the structure was 100% Peter until some recent date at which point it became 100% John (and Lou).  I'm happy to think that Peter is totally out of the loop now, but not that his sons were out of the loop previously.  I think it's been a mixture of all of them, not all along but since well before Peter stopped being the one with ultimate say.  Wiping the slate clean for judgements about John as an owner from the day he was officially named partner makes sense on the surface, but does not stand up to much scrutiny.  Anything stupid that the Orioles did in 2010 or 2015, John was likely a part of and even if we don't know exactly what percentage, its pretty safe assumption that its enough of a percentage to have a negative opinion of him as an owner.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:44 PM

I worked for the O's from 2001-03.  In the few years before that, and I'll say +/- 5 years after that; what I heard repeatedly from Orioles employees was that biggest Ownership issue was that Peter was busy with the Law Firm, and rarely available.  

Very minimal items would not be able to be addressed timely, because they required Peter's signoff.  (This also impacted Baseball Ops.)

My understanding was that Brothers were not overly involved. 
Peter had an office he was in once or twice a year.  I think that was similar for the Brothers.

That said, I know John worked on the Sarasota deal, and also with MASN when the Nationals* came into existence. 
I have no idea what Lou was responsible for. 

Were they more involved in the 2010's? That's a reasonable assumption. 
But again for me, the Elias hire, plus the International spending, are examples of philosophical changes from Peter to John.

*Still amazes me that when I would mention the possibility of DC landing a team in that '01-'03 period to my superiors, that it was something that nobody wanted to consider and basically I was told it was a discussion that couldn't be had. 

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,428 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:56 PM

I don't think John should be getting kudos for simply allowing things that have long been industry standard (analytics, international scouting, etc) simply because his father refused to. By all accounts, he doesn't meddle in baseball ops, and that's good. But he's also one of the cheapest owners in the league, something his father wasn't.

So he's still an owner who holds back his team from being as successful as it could be, he just does it in a different way than Peter. Either way, it's the same as it ever was.

• You Play to Win the Game, bmore_ken and makoman like this

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:08 PM

I don't think John should be getting kudos for simply allowing things that have long been industry standard (analytics, international scouting, etc) simply because his father refused to. By all accounts, he doesn't meddle in baseball ops, and that's good. But he's also one of the cheapest owners in the league, something his father wasn't.

So he's still an owner who holds back his team from being as successful as it could be, he just does it in a different way than Peter. Either way, it's the same as it ever was.

I don't know how much of a pat on the back he deserves for getting to an industry standard level; but the O's languished in those areas, and now they don't.  It was an organizational change, and the change from Peter to John is what allowed it to happen.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,008 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:00 PM

I agree with pretty much everything Stoner has said in his last few posts. That said, the Os currently arent at the industry standard in a lot of these areas they were so far behind before. They are ahead of it. If you want to credit Elias and his crew and the work he has done for that by all means. John made that hire. He convinced Elias to come here when Elias says he could've went elsewhere.

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:06 PM

I agree with pretty much everything Stoner has said in his last few posts. That said, the Os currently arent at the industry standard in a lot of these areas they were so far behind before. They are ahead of it. If you want to credit Elias and his crew and the work he has done for that by all means. John made that hire. He convinced Elias to come here when Elias says he could've went elsewhere.

Industry standard? Lol.

They are on par with the rest of baseball now.

Congratulations Orioles, for finally doing what everyone else does.
  • BSLMikeLowe and bmore_ken like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:07 PM

I believe John's a liar and a fraud who cares only about maximizing profits for his own gain... so LaConfora and Charles basically running a carefully crafted P.R. campaign for him after he stuck his arrogant foot down his own throat... is professionally pathetic and embarrassing. But nobody will call them out on it, and the sham in the warehouse will continue...

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,428 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 09:47 PM

I believe John's a liar and a fraud who cares only about maximizing profits for his own gain... so LaConfora and Charles basically running a carefully crafted P.R. campaign for him after he stuck his arrogant foot down his own throat... is professionally pathetic and embarrassing. But nobody will call them out on it, and the sham in the warehouse will continue...

The man has accomplished only one thing in his life, and that was hitting the gene pool lottery of being the son of a wealthy attorney who owns a baseball club.

But there is one other notable achievement he could notch for his legacy....sell. Like literally hang the "FOR SALE" sign outside the Warehouse the moment Pete passes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=