475 replies to this topic

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:53 AM

If TB weren’t so damn cheap, maybe they’d have had the talent to win one of those.

And winning while ultimately not being good enough is just a fancier purgatory with nicer decor and furniture. But it’s still purgatory. You play to win the damn game. Not to have a better, closer view at whoever does end up winning.

Lol. So they were talented enough to get there but not win a 7 game series twice. Got it. Guess the same with Cle. Inevitable once up 3-1 they were going to lose that epic WS to Chi. Wasnt close at all 🙄

#122 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:08 PM

I’m going to feel just fine when in 15 years the O’s made a World Series or two but lost because a guy like Givens blows a game, or a guy like Phillips strikes out in a big situation (but his defense!!!!!) - all while our owner pockets hundreds of million in cash a year and refuses to get better talent to get over the hump. But having a close up view of the World Series winner will make that okay. You don’t win championships this way. And as a sports fan, that’s my greatest desire.

#123 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:20 PM

Nothing I said warrants an eye roll. Sorry that the facts are on my side. How shameful for you to get caught up in minutia. Isn’t that something you said to me one day? You straight up can’t handle other conflicting opinions.

If the Os have a 10 year run like the Guardians just had and arguably are still in the middle of no one here will complain. How is that for getting caught up in the minutia

#124 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:23 PM

If the Os have a 10 year run like the Guardians just had and arguably are still in the middle of no one here will complain. How is that for getting caught up in the minutia

Then they are losers. When you have a realistic chance to go for it and don’t even try so you can keep pocketing massive amounts of cash, sorry that’s just not good enough. Loser mindset 101.

#125 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:33 PM

Losers. Go say that to Francona and Jose Ramirez. Thatll go over well Im sure.

#126 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:34 PM

Losers. Go say that to Francona and Jose Ramirez. Thatll go over well Im sure.

Yeah because they are the ones who are responsible for that organization being cheap.

#127 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:39 PM

Youre calling them losers and incapable of winning a Ship with their rosters that have consistently won. How is that not offensive to those players and coaches? Just because the ownership wouldnt pony up extra for an expensive toy you broad brush.

#128 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:44 PM

Youre calling them losers and incapable of winning a Ship with their rosters that have consistently won. How is that not offensive to those players and coaches? Just because the ownership wouldnt pony up extra for an expensive toy you broad brush.

That isn’t what I said. I said apologists who are fine with Angelos pocketing mad money while being perfectly fine with a 2nd place finish if we’re lucky, losers. It’s unquestionably a loser mindset.

#129 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:48 PM

The Os coaching staff and players on the field dont give a flying F about Angelos and how much he does or doesnt spend in FA for shiny toys. Its absolutely disrespectful to the players in place saying they are limited or incapable of reaching certain goals. Especially once the season gets going.

#130 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:55 PM

You said people here would be fine with a Cleveland run. I said those people are losers. Not the players. I know you think of yourself as an actual Oriole given your tone with all this, but never did I say anything about the players or manager. What difference would it make if I had, anyway?

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:23 PM

Thats entitlement. To call people would take a 10 year run like Cle just had losers is wrong IMO. Theyve had teams multiple times in that stretch where they were capable of winning a WS. Im guessing if they finish off the Cubs in 2016 now they arent losers. Just too much black and white. Youre setting yourself up for constant and potentially perpetual disappointment if its always ring or bust.

#132 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:29 PM

The point is, maybe they beat the Cubs if they aren’t so damn cheap. Maybe they don’t. But maybe they do. Nothing about that is wrong or entitled. I’m calling out the shameful, loser mindset some of these owners have while siphoning literally hundreds of millions per year off to their personal wealth. It’s sickening. Defend it all you want.

#133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:36 PM

I could give a s**t about ownership once the season starts. We all know the Os ownership sucks. Youll find no one who disagrees. As long as there isnt an intential undermining of a championship window like arguably the As have done in the past then I can live with it. I have no choice but to live with it unless I want to switch teams and be a Cardinals fan all of a sudden. Or have a 2nd team. Im not one to go for a lack of loyalty so not an option for me.

#134 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,540 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:38 PM

That is undermining it. Not spending money is absolutely undermining it.

#135 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:42 PM

That is undermining it. Not spending money is absolutely undermining it.

Thats fine if you feel that way. I dont necessarily disagree, but again it would take selling off players while clearly in a championship window to push me over the edge. And then it would just be me quitting the organization until new ownership. Bottom line here is Im looking forward to the next 3-5 years at minimum. I expect a lot of good times. Getting caught up in things I cant control is pointless.

#136 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 February 2023 - 07:34 PM

https://twitter.com/...YWaNI7l79A&s=19
  • You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#137 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,618 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2023 - 07:41 PM

Nathan Ruiz taking no prisoners, love it.
  • You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this

#138 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:42 PM

How many concerts did the Padres have at Petco Park before deciding to take their best shot at a WS? Just wanna keep count so we know when you'll start trying, John.

And yes, John, I know how petty I must seem asking this question on National Pancake Day.

• CantonJester likes this

#139 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 07:24 AM

All John cares about is maximizing profits for his own personal gain. It's all he cared about when they were winning 47 games, and it's all he cared about when they won 83. It's all he'll care about whether they win 60 or 90 this year. 

#140 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 February 2023 - 09:14 AM

All John cares about is maximizing profits for his own personal gain. It's all he cared about when they were winning 47 games, and it's all he cared about when they won 83. It's all he'll care about whether they win 60 or 90 this year. 

All John (&Lou) cares about it control.  Hoarding resources serves a purpose for control.  

If/when they transition the ownership (MLB approval- the one gate) payroll will go up some. Everyone thinks the priority is money.  If the priority was money, there's many things they could have done over the decades to generate more money.  The family has always wanted responsibility (decision making) without accountability (results).  You see a bunch of this in this interview.

• CantonJester likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=