#81 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:29 PM

Yep, until proven otherwise, I still maintain we’re more A’s than that other group.

#82 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:40 PM

Yeah I really don't think hiring someone from a more successful org was a genius move for finding a candidate. Hiring the second/third in command for your head coach/GM/etc has been a pretty common and generally successful move in pro sports for as long as I've been alive and I'm pretty sure it was happening before that. I'm not gonna say he deserves no credit for the hire but I think anyone with a vague amount of baseball knowledge could've gone "hey the Astros are good, who can we hire from them?"  

she/her

#83 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 07:01 PM

I'd push back on his selling the notion that MLB teams really needed gate receipts to make ends meet. 

#84 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 07:10 PM

He is probably the only owner in any sport to call the pandemic "lucky".
  • Mike in STL likes this

#85 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 07:32 PM

More on payroll: "We have a very young team that's overachieved and overperformed because of the great work of our baseball folks. It's not my job to predict payroll. My job is to make sure that the community partnerships are sustained, and I think all of that comes after that."

On what planet does the owner not set payroll limits? He's trying to get cute by using the term predict rather than you know, own the fact that as the owner of a professional sports franchise, you are very much in control of how much money gets spent. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:09 PM

The more I hear this ass hat talk the less angst I have towards Elias, that’s for sure.

#87 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:33 PM

He's inherited his father's gift for saying insanely stupid crap. Just shut up and please for the love of God sell the bucking team and go away for good...

#88 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 08:37 PM

This is a guy who won’t even pay to televise a spring training game. Any player who gets too expensive, or is about to, will just be traded.

Channel flipping yesterday and I think it might have been the Big Ten Netwok was running college wrestling broadcast and produced by a college program. Exactly what I've said MASN should do with spring training games.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 09:30 AM

MASN: Angelos talks about lease, litigation, longevity of contracts, payroll liftoff and more

https://www.masnspor...om/blog/angelos

Full comments not in tweet form.

Balt Sun: Five takeaways from Orioles CEO John Angelos’ meeting with media: Lease timeline, payroll plans and more

https://www.baltimor...veya-story.html

#90 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:06 AM

Why till the all-star break for the lease renewal? I’m guessing no follow up questions were allowed.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:28 AM

Why till the all-star break for the lease renewal? I’m guessing no follow up questions were allowed.

It will distract from the upcoming trade deadline sell-off.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#92 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:30 AM

We're in contention and sold some valuable pieces, but we did just renew our lease. Rejoice.

#93 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:34 AM

The more I hear this ass hat talk the less angst I have towards Elias, that’s for sure.

Elias deserves no angst. Glad you're working towards that conclusion.

#94 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:40 AM

Maybe I’m an eternal optimist (or a pessimistic Yankee fan) but the O’s, despite the horse-crap talking ownership, are trending in the right direction. This team with a full season of Rutschman and a notch below league average SP is likely an 81 win team. If Hall & Rodriguez both successfully integrate into the rotation? 88 wins. Take the middle of the road at 85. What if Gunnar explodes onto the scene? bump those #s up a couple wins?

Question: will the O’s be sending up smoke signals from Sarasota so we can track the team’s progress through Spring Training? 

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

...and a notch below league average SP is likely an 81 win team. If Hall & Rodriguez both successfully integrate into the rotation? 88 wins.

Isn't Rodriguez hitting the ground running already a part of the projection of the rotation to reach even that "notch below league average" level?  Is it double counting him to say there is 7 wins worth of upside beyond that between he and Hall?

#96 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:53 AM

Isn't Rodriguez hitting the ground running already a part of the projection of the rotation to reach even that "notch below league average" level?  Is it double counting him to say there is 7 wins worth of upside beyond that between he and Hall?

My summary was obviously simplistic, but what I meant was they can bump up near 90 wins if both Rodriguez and Hall hit the ground running in that rotation. For all we know, Hall stays in the pen and gets regular long relief work. I think Means / Gibson / Kremer = a notch below league average now (with fodder behind them). Cole Irvin might be another guy who surprises (though leaving Oakland usually doesn’t bode well for pitchers). 

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:53 AM

I think we need to stop acting like this team wasnt good from mid May on last year. They slowed down down the stretch in Sept but that wasnt unlike any bad stretch any good teams have in a year. It wasnt some total collapse. So while there could be a step back while numerous young guys all integrate I just dont expect it. Adley knows what its like now. Bradish knows what its like. Kremer knows what its like. Gunnar, Stowers, GRod all may need a bit more time but in Gunnars case he looked the part over a fair number of games

#98 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 12:03 PM

I think we need to stop acting like this team wasnt good from mid May in last year. They slowed down down the stretch in Sept but that wasnt unlike any bad stretch any good teams have in a year. It wasnt some total collapse. So while there could be a step back while numerous young guys all integrate I just dont expect it. Adley knows what its like now. Bradish knows what its like. Kremer knows what its like. Gunnar, Stowers, GRod all may need a bit more time but in Gunnars case he loomwd the part over a fair number of games

I know I’m echoing a common refrain but the moment Rutschman arrived, the team did as well. He’s a special player, and behind the plate? LOL the creative writers who went nuts about Weiters’ potential should take a crack at Rutschman’s. 

#99 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 12:40 PM

I know I’m echoing a common refrain but the moment Rutschman arrived, the team did as well. He’s a special player, and behind the plate? LOL the creative writers who went nuts about Weiters’ potential should take a crack at Rutschman’s.

In 5 short years you can enjoy him catching for the Yankees!

#100 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 12:57 PM

In 5 short years you can enjoy him catching for the Yankees!

I get the pessimism, but I think the Orioles are going to extend him after this season (buy out his arb years and he’ll be an Oriole until age 31-32) in order to lure prime free agent pitching. 

I mean, Angelos is a complete tool, but Connelly touched on something in that Athletic article: they are perhaps looking to sell off 20% of the team to local investors (where the Angelos’ retain control at 50.1%). It’s the only thing that makes sense given how he was talking about concerts, not having a large payroll, etc. 

What’s Kevin Plank doing these days? His net worth is ~2 billion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=