• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 09:23 AM

Balt Sun: Finally ‘buzz’ worthy: Orioles sensing different energy in first post-rebuild spring training

#62 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:01 AM

Check your DMs

Reply sent.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 09:39 AM

MASN: Orbiting some Orioles observations at spring training

https://www.masnspor...spring-training

#64 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:50 PM

Nathan Ruiz

@NathanSRuiz
John Angelos said MASN showing only four Orioles/Nationals game each this spring is "a business decision," citing the network's regular season programming. "Should that come at the expense of spring training? I don't know. I think it's certainly a valid question and criticism."
1:18 PM · Feb 19, 2023

https://twitter.com/...372103564492801

So you fools, apparently if we had more spring games it would clearly be at the expense of the regular season experience. Can't afford both obviously.

• Mackus likes this

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:56 PM

SELL SELL SELL
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 01:57 PM

Are the people who were conned into "giving the sons the benefit of the doubt" ready to call them just as bad as Peter, if not worse, yet?
  • Mike in STL likes this

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:06 PM

He’s a POS. So disingenuous.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#68 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:09 PM

Apparently he spoke for like 40 minutes. Hopefully one of the non-MASN guys writes an article.

The gist I got from reading reports was (sorry no cites and I need to step out...)

Not planning to sell any time soon

Hopefully a lease is signed around All Star break

Hopefully MASN litigation resolved then too

Payroll will expand but we're in the Tampa/Cleveland/Milwaukee tier

Elias and Hyde both under contract more than a year, long term

Still willing to open the books and share what he can this spring 

#69 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:11 PM

Nathan Ruiz

@NathanSRuiz
John Angelos said MASN showing only four Orioles/Nationals game each this spring is "a business decision," citing the network's regular season programming. "Should that come at the expense of spring training? I don't know. I think it's certainly a valid question and criticism."
1:18 PM · Feb 19, 2023

https://twitter.com/...372103564492801

So you fools, apparently if we had more spring games it would clearly be at the expense of the regular season experience. Can't afford both obviously.

Definitely check Nathan's full feed, we had a very encouraging presser today 

she/her

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:30 PM

Ok so while under this ownership no matter what you think they can and should do stop expecting a payroll in the top half of the league. At least we were finally told we are Tampa/Cle/Mil. Please someone make sure dude gets that message

#71 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 02:38 PM

So we could have a few extra spring training games if we're willing to sacrifice some regular season games? Times must be tough now that the payroll is close to exceeding $60 million.

#72 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:08 PM

So we could have a few extra spring training games if we're willing to sacrifice some regular season games? Times must be tough now that the payroll is close to exceeding $60 million.

One of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard in a while. Doesn’t seem to work that way for any other team.

#73 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:12 PM

Hopefully hes lying about selling the team like he is lying about everything else
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:40 PM

Every time he says something it’s just so depressing.

#75 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:41 PM

"We have a very young team that's overachieved and overperformed because of the great work of our baseball folks. It's not my job to predict payroll. My job is to make sure that the community partnerships are sustained, and I think all of that comes after that."

https://twitter.com/...357880012664832

He certainly seems like the guy who sets the payroll, no?

she/her

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 03:52 PM

https://twitter.com/NathanSRuiz

Orioles CEO and Chairman John Angelos: "I'm glad we were in a full rebuild because it was what was recommended and was the right thing. Also, we were fortunate that as the world hit a pandemic, we were stripped down to that [level]. That was just good luck, really."

John Angelos on the pandemic, continued: "Teams that had a lot of payroll and that were relying on live attendance to pay for that were in a much worse situation. We were much better situated. Just lucky, really."

Orioles CEO and Chairman John Angelos: "Could payroll be double or triple what it is? Or could it be over 100 million? Yeah. We're not there yet."

More on payroll: "We have a very young team that's overachieved and overperformed because of the great work of our baseball folks. It's not my job to predict payroll. My job is to make sure that the community partnerships are sustained, and I think all of that comes after that."

John Angelos: “I would be disappointed if we’re not the Tampa.” He said he meant that in terms of sustainability, not necessarily payroll. He again cited Milwaukee, Cleveland and Tampa as the organizations the Orioles consider comparable.

Orioles CEO and Chairman John Angelos just fielded questions for almost 40 minutes, addressing numerous topics. He said he, Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde are “here for the long term” and that he will meet reporters during spring training to discuss finances: “I intend to do that.”

John Angelos on the resolution of his family's legal battle: "Those things are distractions, and it's unfortunate whenever they arise, but all good things going forward now. ... I think those things are, as they should be, in the rearview mirror and receding."

John Angelos did not offer details on the contracts of Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde: "We are all fully vested. We're not going anywhere. And nobody's a short timer. Nobody is expiring in a year or two years or anything like that."

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 04:24 PM

He still gets credit for the Elias hire and therefore being positioned to win while with a TB, Cle, Mil payroll.

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2023 - 04:58 PM

He deserves no credit IMO. Literally THE perfect example of a blind cat finding a mouse. It’s not a thing. He got lucky, and is clearly ONLY interested in pocketing cash. That Elias is competent is a bonus. He wouldn’t care if he were terrible. If the farm were 25th instead of 1st, with another losing season on the way, he’d be perfectly content with that. I fully believe it.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#79 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:09 PM

He's probably disappointed they've actually built a respectable team from scratch because now they're in a spot where they may actually have to try and spend some money.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:13 PM

This is a guy who won’t even pay to televise a spring training game. Any player who gets too expensive, or is about to, will just be traded.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=